Author Topic: '98 EV cranks but won't start  (Read 6127 times)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: '98 EV cranks but won't start
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2018, 02:19:51 PM »
Chuck.  The sensor you referred to up above is for the more modern bikes.  That one has THREE electrodes in the socket.  The 98EV uses a more rudimentary version.  Only TWO electrodes and the wires come straight up vertical from the sensor, not off at 90 degrees.  Would be nice to find an aftermarket duplicate.   MGCycle has the proper one for about $90.

Meanwhile, his flywheel sensor first tested out at 680 Ohms and then went to ZERO as soon as he touched and moved the wiring pigtail.  Waiting to find a replacement sensor, but I think this will solve the issue as he seemingly has a fractured internal wire in the sensor pigtail.  The timing chest cam sensor remains at 680 Ohms.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Thanks Patrick.. I swiped that info off the V11 forum, and just *assumed* it was the same sensor.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2018, 05:07:08 PM »
A little research:
2 pin found in:

1000 S USA 1993
1000 SP3 USA 1993
California III IE
California 1100 IE
Daytona 1000
Quota 1000
1100 Sport
Strada 1000

3 pin version fitted to
V11 Sport ALL, 1100 Sport IE, Bellagio, Breva ALL, Cali EV, Cali Jackal, Cali Stone, Special, Vintage, Centauro, Griso ALL, MGS-01, Norge ALL, Quota 1100, Stelvio, V7 Classic, Nevada 750 (2004 On)

Guzzi part no. gu01721600

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline ejs

• Gosling
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2018, 07:18:32 PM »
Search for SEN8E sensor om eBay., ( Ducati, Fiat, Lancia,........)
California EV 1999

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2018, 07:33:59 PM »
I may have found a cheap replacement for the 98EV cam and flywheel sensors.
I pulled the flywheel sensors on both of my bikes.  They both have a Marelli part number SEN8T.
I did some research and found someone in Europe posting this site:

http://endless-horizons.net/efi/rpm.htm

Shows lots of cross references.  Also shows a datasheet for the part at

http://home.kpn.nl/duran103/pics/SEN.pdf

Using the cross reference list I searched Amazon for "9.0001" which is the Facet part number.  Amazon reports it as SEN8E, but that should be an acceptable alternative part.
Bingo, $25
Something went amiss when I tried a "One Click" purchase.  Have to see if something shows up.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2018, 07:33:59 PM »

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2018, 07:47:02 PM »
Using the cross reference list I searched Amazon for "9.0001" which is the Facet part number.  Amazon reports it as SEN8E, but that should be an acceptable alternative part.
Bingo, $25

https://www.amazon.com/LANCIA-1981-1998-Crankshaft-Position-0-9L-2-9L/dp/B00D76G1CU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1524789755&sr=8-2&keywords=9.0001
Charlie

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2018, 10:54:42 PM »
Closing the loop.  Success.

We found error flash code 1-2 which indicates the flywheel sensor on the bell housing for the P8 computer.
He pulled the sensor and tested for impedance.  Tested fine at 680 Ohms one time and then suddenly full open no continuity.  Moved the wire pigtail and got intermittent connection.  Found one section of the pigtail had been bent very sharp and zip tied very hard by the factory.  Obviously cracked and broken internal wire filaments.

Installed a new sensor.  No flash codes.  Reassembled.  Fired right up.  Now reports perfect running at 700 miles since. 

BTW, one of my pet peeves about this forum is failure to close out repair issues.  People post a problem or symptom.  Half a dozen people chime in with various educated guesses or their results from prior similar failures.  The original poster fixes the problem and rides off into the sunset.  How much extra effort would it take to report back on which suggestion led to the final resolution and repair success?

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2018, 09:31:30 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to help him out and also taking the time to post here about what you found to be the issue.  :thumb: :thumb:
Charlie

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2018, 10:59:02 AM »
BTW, one of my pet peeves about this forum is failure to close out repair issues.  People post a problem or symptom.  Half a dozen people chime in with various educated guesses or their results from prior similar failures.  The original poster fixes the problem and rides off into the sunset.  How much extra effort would it take to report back on which suggestion led to the final resolution and repair success?

Mine, too, Patrick. I'll bump this to the top.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here