Author Topic: Routes through AR, MO, OK, KS  (Read 4012 times)

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re: Routes through AR, MO, OK, KS
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2018, 09:44:45 AM »
For all youse guys reading this who are thinking about riding between NW Arkansas and NE Oklahoma, and would like to avoid the "5-miles of horror" that is US-412 through Springdale, there is another way.  One of the best little motorcycle roads in NW Arkansas connects Fayetteville and Siloam Springs:  AR-16.

Here's the map, for your viewing pleasure:  https://goo.gl/maps/9LRQJZPPHDw

This is the way to go, if you're using AR-16 (Huntsville Road) or AR-45 (Mission Blvd) east of Fayetteville.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 09:55:09 AM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

oldbike54

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2018, 10:09:17 AM »
For all youse guys reading this who are thinking about riding between NW Arkansas and NE Oklahoma, and would like to avoid the "5-miles of horror" that is US-412 through Springdale, there is another way.  One of the best little motorcycle roads in NW Arkansas connects Fayetteville and Siloam Springs:  AR-16.

This is the way to go, if you're using AR-16 (Huntsville Road) or AR-45 (Mission Blvd) east of Fayetteville.

16 is a wonderful stretch of road  :thumb:

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2018, 01:16:07 PM »
Or you might ride from Fayetteville to Tahlequah. 

Hwy 62 from Westville to Tahlequah is my favorite road in the state.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2018, 03:25:39 PM »
Great ideas guys!  Sorry I can’t take ALL of your advice.  But here is a serious question:

I have roughly plotted this out. 
Day 1 - Birmingham to Mena, AR, minimal interstate.  Seems doable.
Day 2. - I was shooting for Clayton, NM via the Talimena, OK 82, OK 66, US412.  Estimated arrival in Clayton if I travel National Lampoon Vacation style is about 8:00 PM (with gaining an hour).  That’s too far, too late:

So my question for you sages is should I bite the bullet and run some I40 and stick with making Clayton, or is there a reasonable alternative place to stay?  Guymon and Boise City don’t look too appealing....
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 03:26:34 PM by alanp »
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis
'07 Griso, '07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '02 V11 Lemans,  '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2018, 03:25:39 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2018, 03:51:49 PM »
 I 40 would be quicker for sure , I mentioned going towards Sieling from just West of OKC , putting you on 412 just East of Woodward OK . Guymon is fine , Boise City has pretty limited places to stay.
Lowryter mentioned the Gloss Mtns , which are on 412 , that would require shooting for Fairview from the South and the turning West on 412 . Those are really mesas , and kind of unique , but would mean a few more miles of travel . I 40 West of OKC is very high speed with lots of trucks , 412 out West has always seemed a better option , you can visit Slapout OK  :laugh: That said , there is kind of a cool RT 66 museum in Clinton OK , just off the interstate .

I should mention the motorcycle museum on RT 66 at Warwick OK . It is very cool , and an hour spent sitting in the shade at the front will allow you to come in contact with folks from exotic places , like England  :laugh:

PM sent the other day , let us know what you decide Alan .

Dusty

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2018, 05:45:53 PM »
Great ideas guys!  Sorry I can’t take ALL of your advice.  But here is a serious question:

I have roughly plotted this out. 
Day 1 - Birmingham to Mena, AR, minimal interstate.  Seems doable.
Day 2. - I was shooting for Clayton, NM via the Talimena, OK 82, OK 66, US412.  Estimated arrival in Clayton if I travel National Lampoon Vacation style is about 8:00 PM (with gaining an hour).  That’s too far, too late:

So my question for you sages is should I bite the bullet and run some I40 and stick with making Clayton, or is there a reasonable alternative place to stay?  Guymon and Boise City don’t look too appealing....
I'd shoot for Clayton, and it's historic hotel.  Nothing in Boise City, and nothing cool/historic that I can recall in Guymon .

600 miles, Mena to Clayton. You can do it!  What is that? 3 tanks of fuel?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

twowings

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2018, 05:49:14 PM »
OK-33>OK 47 or OK-51>US270>US60 into Texas are a LOT more scenic (relatively for Oklahoma) and less hectic than US-412 or I-40...besides a small detour off OK-47 on OK-34 will take you to Leedey, OK birthplace of Darla Hood better known as Little Darla of the Our Gang comedies...need I say more?

« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 05:50:00 PM by twowings »

Online Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2018, 06:26:17 AM »

Hehe. Trying to avoid thread drift here. But I remember one year I rode to Fayetteville to attend a charity poker run. I paid the entry fee, got the map and then just couldn't believe it. The ENTIRE poker run was from Fayetteville to Siloam on 16.  I said "you all just keep my entry fee. I rode 45 miles to get here, I won't spend all day on a 28 mile poker run".  Evidently, they had 4 stops along the way. I thought...4 stops in 28 miles? Nope. Not for me :evil:
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here