Author Topic: New Project Bike  (Read 5360 times)

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
New Project Bike
« on: June 26, 2018, 03:56:49 PM »
So a week ago or so I bought a new 2016 Griso. I had been wanting one for a while and figured I should do it before they are all gone.

Well my wife and I are on our annual Anniversary riding trip and as we are walking around this little town talking and she comments the the Griso sounds like a project bike. What with all the stuff I have to do to it right off the bat.

I think she may have a point.   :shocked:
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Re: New Project Bike
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 03:59:54 PM »
 :sad:. They are all project bikes, Darren.  Some are drivable.   :laugh:

Offline Darren Williams

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 04:13:06 PM »
Well, this one is very fun to ride already.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 04:34:32 PM »
I already said those ugly mufflers have to go.  :boxing:  Get a proper exhaust system on the bike  :thumb: and remap accordingly.  Engine work too?

Then that big windshield, hmmmmm.  The Givi A770 was made for the bike, unfortunately no longer available.  But the search for flyscreen, or cafe fairing is a must.  :cool:

I suppose you like the paint?  OK, no comment but it ain't green.  The wheels are cool.   :cheesy:

Maybe controls and seat.  Monoposto?  I can't wait to help you, let me bring some wrenches over?  Maybe a hammer?   :evil:

Actually if you go the remap route, Don has the Dynojet.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 04:34:32 PM »

Offline Darren Williams

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 06:00:13 PM »
I’m going with a Bettle map and budget says the stock can stays. Got a rear rack on the way. The windshield is working well and the throttle lock as well. Next is to lube the swing arm bearing, steering head bearing and shock linkage. Then replace the plug boots and fuel filter.

What else am I forgetting??? 

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 07:02:10 PM »
I'm sure they guys on the ghetto can help you out wit unsolicited lists - check the geegaw threads.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 07:17:41 PM »
Am I gonna have to follow a griso to to mile? Congrats on your new machine
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 08:06:41 PM »
I�m going with a Bettle map and budget says the stock can stays. Got a rear rack on the way. The windshield is working well and the throttle lock as well. Next is to lube the swing arm bearing, steering head bearing and shock linkage. Then replace the plug boots and fuel filter.

well, anyway, I can bring over a hammer to help you fix it.  :popcorn:

But that muffler has to go.  I have some vacuum cleaner tubes to offer up.  :whip2:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

oldbike54

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 08:10:57 PM »
 Whew , keeping this a secret for over a week was killing me  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 08:24:34 PM »
Whew , keeping this a secret for over a week was killing me  :laugh:

Dusty

You know you love keeping little secrets Dusty
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 08:30:35 PM »
eeeww..... I love secrets.

But can Dusty and John bring some hammers to Darren's?  we'll fix it up real good.    :violent1:
John L 

Offline Darren Williams

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 08:38:55 PM »
Am I gonna have to follow a griso to to mile? Congrats on your new machine

IDK  Still got the Feejer and it is such a good traveling bike.  But the Griso is a blast to ride and I can't wait to get it over in the Ozarks for a romp. Even if it does have that little tank that only gets about 140 miles before the light comes on.

It does already have a big ugly windshield (according to John L) and a throttle lock. And a luggage rack on order. The windshield matches the exhaust can.

If anyone (John L) wants to get me a nice aftermarket pipe, my birthday is less than a month away.   :evil:

oldbike54

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 08:41:21 PM »
You know you love keeping little secrets Dusty

True , but sometimes knowing everything is a heavy load  :rolleyes: :laugh:

I just happened to call Darren when he was riding the Greaso back from Tulsa or I might not have known either .

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 08:47:06 PM »
IDK  Still got the Feejer and it is such a good traveling bike.  But the Griso is a blast to ride and I can't wait to get it over in the Ozarks for a romp. Even if it does have that little tank that only gets about 140 miles before the light comes on.

It does already have a big ugly windshield (according to John L) and a throttle lock. And a luggage rack on order. The windshield matches the exhaust can.

If anyone (John L) wants to get me a nice aftermarket pipe, my birthday is less than a month away.   :evil:

got you covered buddy

John L 

twowings

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 09:10:36 PM »

When we going, bucko??

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2018, 07:21:16 AM »
I�m going with a Bettle map and budget says the stock can stays. Got a rear rack on the way. The windshield is working well and the throttle lock as well. Next is to lube the swing arm bearing, steering head bearing and shock linkage. Then replace the plug boots and fuel filter.

That's a great list.   :thumb:

I would go ahead and check the valve clearances.  The spec on the roller 8V's is .004 and .006 instead of .006 and .008 and since the bike is used it's worth checking.  My dealer had it wrong after they rolled it.  Mark's maps are made based on the .004/.006 spec.

I've got an extra set of Onur's risers if, after riding, you think you might want a little less reach.  I have a set on mine and think they are great.

Also, I don't know about you but I'm a fat old man so I needed a little more spring in the rear.  I ended up sending my Sachs to Traxxion for a new spring and re-valve.  About 1/2 the cost of an aftermarket shock and Traxxion has done several Griso and Stelvio shocks so they know what to do with them.

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline Darren Williams

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2018, 07:34:28 AM »
got you covered buddy

I think the key words were "nice aftermarket", not "vacuum cleaner parts".  :violent1:

Offline Darren Williams

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2018, 07:35:50 AM »
When we going, bucko??

He's talking about the Springfield Mile over Labor Day weekend.

Offline nobleswood

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2018, 04:01:44 PM »
got you covered buddy

Is that one of those 'pull start' vacumn cleaners ?
2004 V11 Sport Naked / Ballabio
2013 1200 8v Griso

Offline Darren Williams

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2018, 07:34:04 PM »
Just got notification that my ordered rear rack for the Griso has been backordered and is expected in 6 to 8 weeks. Now having owned and maintained several Guzzi's in the last decade, I know about this thing that the factory does in August called a shut down. So are they really telling me it might ship from Italy in September, with me getting it late October or November? I can hope it ships before August, but the pessimist part of me is not feeling that hopeful. They have taken my payment though!  :evil:

Looking like the Feejer for the Springfield Mile trip.   :sad:

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2018, 07:46:08 PM »
Darren, You might try Moto Machines and take a look at the HB luggage.

https://www.motomachines.com/Griso-850-1100-1200_c_170.html

You know whatever is backordered might be on the unattainable list?  The bike is out of production, so what supplier is still making it?  You might try an inventory search with AF1 and MI or with Agostini in Italy.
John L 

Offline Darren Williams

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2018, 08:04:58 PM »
Darren, You might try Moto Machines and take a look at the HB luggage.

https://www.motomachines.com/Griso-850-1100-1200_c_170.html

Not too sure about the looks of those HB "charcoal grill" racks. They might distract from the looks of the exhaust can.  :cool:

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2018, 09:29:25 PM »
Not too sure about the looks of those HB "charcoal grill" racks. They might distract from the looks of the exhaust can.  :cool:

have hammer, will travel    :evil:
John L 

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2018, 09:37:58 PM »

perhaps you're right about the Griso, but this bike is always beauty.  Even with the "grill" racks

....and with the bags hauls more than that Yamaha land yacht. 
John L 

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2018, 03:31:11 PM »

I just put HB CBow mounts on my Griso.  Very unobtrusive when the bags are off.
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2018, 03:33:03 PM »
So, I went back and read this whole thread.  Where the Hell are the bike pictures! 
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Offline Darren Williams

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2018, 05:43:42 PM »
So, I went back and read this whole thread.  Where the Hell are the bike pictures!

It's a red one. Looks just like all the other red ones, well except for a few more or less bumps on the nylon tank.   :evil:

Offline Darren Williams

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2018, 03:25:53 PM »
OK, this is not to be taken as bitching or anything, just as a data point. As I said in another thread, this is my fourth Guzzi and third new CARC since 2010, so I went in willingly with my eyes wide open and no regrets.

At 425 miles in I had some time to start the real bonding process with the bike so I figured I'd start with a proper tune following the Roper method. Here's what I found...

- I had already disconnected the charcoal cannister from the intake posts, plugging them, so it would start better when setting in the hot sun.
- Checked and found the TPS was at 4.5 before I started.
- The valves on both sides were about 5 and 7 thou, give or take a bit of snugness. I was happy with what I found but went ahead and set them at 4 and 6.
- Both throttle body bleeders were open.
- Bell housing screw took about a 1/4 turn to balance out at 4000 RPM. This thing revs so quick it's a bit tough to hold the revs there!
- With both air bleeders closed, I had to open the left about 1/2 a turn to even them out.
- I had reset the TPS before starting to tune the bike when I was checking it. After tuning it was at 4.6. Reset it again.

Took the bike out for a test ride and can report it is running noticeably smoother, reminding me of how the Stelvio felt. It made me happy to be riding.   :bike-037:

twowings

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2018, 08:35:25 PM »
And THAT'S what we call love, champ!!!  :thumb:

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2018, 03:52:56 PM »
Have to admit the sport windscreen looks pretty nice on that bike.   :thumb:
John L 

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here