Author Topic: V7/V7 II Corbin Seat - start of a review...  (Read 8108 times)

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
V7/V7 II Corbin Seat - start of a review...
« on: August 06, 2018, 01:15:26 PM »
So I've owned my V7 Stone (MKI) for almost 6 years now.

In that time I've tried 3 winshields, and now FOUR SEATS (including stock).  :shocked: :embarrassed:

I recently sold a Gel seat to a board member. and will offer up the Cafe Classic take-off shortly, since I now have a Corbin to replace it. Here are some thoughts that may help any other owners considering a Corbin.

FIRST - as soon as it arrived I was thrilled and wanted to toss it on right away! Of course, being a Corbin for a smaller production number manufacturer that wasn't going to happen. I popped it on and it didn't latch, so I thought maybe it just needed a couple hundred pounds of hammering so I jumped on and no joy.

Pulling it back off I could see a possible culprit. The bolt ends and nuts from the HB racks (topcase and juniors) were fouling the seat pan. You can see where they were cutting into the cover material on either side of the post.

Not being a patient man I flipped on the compressor and grabbed a whizzer.

ALMOST worked.

Being a lazy man I then ran out and bought slightly shorter bolts with thinner nuts (technically they're jam nuts and I'm using them wrong by using only one per bolt, so I coated generously with loctite and I'll keep my eye on em):

The good news is that at that point the HB rack hardware was no longer fouling the seat pan. The bad news is THIS IS CORBIN...and it still won't latch. I mean, the seat pin is actually entering the hole for the latch assembly, so we're close. It's possible I could get it to latch if I could shim the latch up (not possible without major redesign) or if I could unscrew and maybe shim the pin on the seat downward or otherwise further modify the seat pan so it can physically sit lower to the frame allowing the pin to catch the latch.

But seat pin feels like it's a soft metal that is WAY secured to the pan. I don't feel like messing any of that up at this point. It certainly sits on the bike secure enough (as I said the pin is in the hole) and it's not going anywhere especially with my weight on it. So for now I'll go with the law of diminishing returns and just let it be.

As for the seat itself. As usual with their product the Corbin appears to be an attractive, firm and slightly larger than stock solution. It offers another inch or two in width, along with a much deeper cupped rear section (this is the gunfighter seat so same basic solo shape as the Cafe or Racer seats, then also make a gunfighter and lady seat which contains passenger accommodations).

I have to check closely against stock to see if it might sit just a hair lower, but I don't THINK it does, that might just be a bad impression. I do think the slightly wider seat is going to be more comfortable most of the time, but I seem to be splaying my legs slightly away from the tank now, and it is a little harder to grip the tank with my knees. I certainly can do it when desired, but I won't be riding the highway with much of a grip there most of the time.

All in all I'm cautiously optimistic, but I won't know for sure how comfortable it is till I get a lot more miles on it than I have now (only a couple hundred so far, divided in two occasions, with multiple stops so I can't say yet). I will report back eventually.

Oh, and PICS to come after edit (easier to type on computer, easier to use TapaTalk to load and host images).

« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 01:22:14 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
Re: V7/V7 II Corbin Seat - start of a review...
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 02:40:16 PM »

Nice write-up, One glaring thing for me is the way you basically let corbin off the hook for a product that is flawed. If this was a 20 year bike and you were trying to retrofit...well maybe.  Corbin's ain't cheap and a seat latch that won't work is unacceptable in my opinion.  Hope it works out comfort wise for you.

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 03:34:57 PM »
Nice write-up, One glaring thing for me is the way you basically let corbin off the hook for a product that is flawed. If this was a 20 year bike and you were trying to retrofit...well maybe.  Corbin's ain't cheap and a seat latch that won't work is unacceptable in my opinion.  Hope it works out comfort wise for you.

Paul B :boozing:
Oh I'm not letting off. I'm warning any potential customer that they could face this problem.

I bought it new for about half price from someone on the board, so I'm not gonna complain (everything in that sentence is Guzzi content EXCEPT the word NOT [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]).

I suspect if it were something higher production they'd have it sorted. It also could be a variance on the one they used to make the first pan. Who knows. But if I'd paid full price I'd probably be up there customer service about it. Though I've heard mixed results about that lately.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline gfritzmeier

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 04:23:07 PM »
I've had a Corbin on a previous bike and wasn't real impressed. I had a couple seats for my Aluminum and wasn't happy with either of them. They are the original seat and a Harper's.  I was told about Ned's seats so I talked to him(Ned's son) and sent him the original seat. With a 29 inch inseam I wanted a low seat so he built me one.  If I ever need another seat for any bike I will be sending mine to Ned's.  This is the best I've ever had and he did it for about 1/2 the price of buying from any place else. It's the most comfortable seat I've ever had on any bike.
Ya don't have to believe everything ya think!

Ride All Day,Play All Night!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 04:23:07 PM »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 04:43:30 PM »
looks nice.  They styling doesn't really go with the rack and side bags but the rider accomdations look like they make up for it.

I have had corbins on cruisers and touring bikes and really like the firm support they provide. 

I have not had fitment issues on the bikes which were an '07 Vulcan Mean Streak, '15 Triumph Trophy SE, and '16 Road Glide Ultra.

2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 08:05:58 PM »
That's a very nicely outfitted small block Kev. I am surprised at the fitment issue on the seat. I have two Corbin's ,one came on my griso and the other I ordered for a 14 custom, they both snapped right on. Corbin's do take a lot of miles to break in and mine are still getting better with use comfort wise. Hope you get it sorted out.

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 08:29:38 PM »
I put a Corbin rider's seat on my BMW. Very comfortable and it fits the bike great. The cover was installed cockeyed and Corbin just told me, "Tough luck...it's a hand-made item." I took it to my local guy and he refitted the cover perfectly for fifty bucks. I want to hate on Corbin, but you know what? That seat is outstanding and it gets better every ride. In fact, it is so good that I ordered one for my Vintage, so I could get the adjustable backrest for Mrs. Sheepdog. My short Corbin review is: great seat, but crappy customer service. I've really enjoyed my Sargent saddle, but I'm hopeful that the Corbin will be an improvement.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 08:35:33 PM »
It's funny, I've had some excellent Corbin's (on my first RK and on my Buell ST3). For and comfort were great.

I think comfort is gonna be fine and fit is what it is.

Two- funny what our eyes pick up on. I actually like the cafe seat on a bagged/racked bike. To my eye it makes it look like a little solo sport tourer, especially with the current mini fairing. But it is a bit of a dichotomy.

I like it, but I guess that's obvious lol.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline JediMasterII

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 08:49:44 PM »
Kev:

I think it looks great on the bike.

Big Corbin fan here. Originally had them on several BMWs over the years.

I now have them on my V7 Classic, CalVin and Cali 14 Custom. All three are built up 1.5 to 2 inches in height and snapped right in (sorry).

Don
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 08:50:39 PM by JediMasterII »
Don C. in Northern, IL
Lurker Extraordinaire

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 08:54:21 PM »
Liked the Corbins I've had on my Suzukis (VX 800 and Bandit 1200), EV Touring, Breva 1100 and Griso SE. All either came with the bike or were purchased 2nd hand for about 1/3 the cost of new. Will be keeping my eye out for one to put on the V7 but not buying new - stock seat is pretty good so I can wait.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 09:24:10 PM »
I deal with custom seat owners all the time.  Waterproof covers for leather seats is what I do.
Corbin fitment is questionable according to my customers, in that it's not unusual for me to hear that from them.  Fitment is often as kevm states.  Folks mostly just live with it, if my feedback is any indication.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2018, 11:54:52 PM »
Well ,

Corbin is making a GunFighter & Lady for me now .     In a few weeks I hope to be as lucky as :

JediMasterII
Sunday Rider

« Reply #8 on: Today at 08:49:44 PM »

Kev:

I think it looks great on the bike.

Big Corbin fan here. Originally had them on several BMWs over the years.

I now have them on my V7 Classic, CalVin and Cali 14 Custom. All three are built up 1.5 to 2 inches in height and snapped right in (sorry).

Don
« Last Edit: Today at 08:50:39 PM by JediMasterII »

................... ................... ................... ................... ....

Full price delivered is a little over $530.oo  so I'd think it should "Just Snap in Place" ...  Jedi - any chance of getting a picture of how your fitted ? 

It does look good  on the Corbin site .   I've got the same Luggage rack that I saw on Kev's bike , but my side bags are by way of a pair of tabs I welded onto the rack arms  ... I'll post pictures when it gets here .   :grin:

Looks Good Kev. !  :azn:

« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 12:01:09 AM by MMRanch »
2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2018, 08:18:43 AM »
if you look at the first pic you will see that the corbin comes strait down on the outside but as it rolls to go up on the inside instead of going strait up like the stock pan corbins goes up at a 30 or so degree angle. it might fit a naked bike but not with the bags and rack mounts. it's worse on the 2017 because of the relocation of the shock mount that's why they quit listing it. simple for them to cure but they just don't care. I offered to send them my 17 seat for a guide and marked the spots that needed to be fixed on theirs when it wouldn't fit. too bad because they have a good product 4 out of 5 times and a reasonable price if their is such a thing.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline JACoH

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2018, 09:57:47 AM »
I put the Corbin Gunfighter on my V7 III Special, which of course it does not fit without some modification. But that pin lock does unscrew, I added a 1/4" spacer to mine and it locks into place fine now with a small push on the seat back.  Otherwise, I think it is more comfy than the stock seat.  I have had both the MG cafe seat and the MG 1.5 seats, the Corbin is my favorite, so far.

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2018, 10:38:34 AM »
...Two- funny what our eyes pick up on. I actually like the cafe seat on a bagged/racked bike. To my eye it makes it look like a little solo sport tourer, especially with the current mini fairing.

I think it looks great...reminiscent of the original BMW R100RS (a bike frequently seen wearing touring cases). Are you going to color-match the fairing?

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2018, 10:47:46 AM »
I put the Corbin Gunfighter on my V7 III Special, which of course it does not fit without some modification. But that pin lock does unscrew, I added a 1/4" spacer to mine and it locks into place fine now with a small push on the seat back.  Otherwise, I think it is more comfy than the stock seat.  I have had both the MG cafe seat and the MG 1.5 seats, the Corbin is my favorite, so far.

Alright, maybe I'll risk it. What did you use to grab it? All the wrenches I tried felt like they were slipping so I didn't even bother moving onto the channel locks or vice grips.

I think it looks great...reminiscent of the original BMW R100RS (a bike frequently seen wearing touring cases). Are you going to color-match the fairing?

Thx, though the BMW looks like more a gentleman's bike. Maybe it's the white fairing. I'm not currently PLANNING on matching it (cause I'm lazy but also maybe) because I kinda like the balance of black and white on this bike. If it was say a Mk III stone and there was more black and less chrome, I'd probably go ahead and color match the fairing.

EDIT - PS - another 80+ miles, very happy.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 10:52:29 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2018, 11:34:10 AM »
Nice write up!

That seat looks comfy...

I do still sporting the stock seat and it is starting to mold to my ass now...only after good 10000 Miles LOL...no more cramping to the butt and nuts after a long day ride :P...

By the way, as an engineer and one of the safety officers at my work, I think you are "shop attire" is awesome...LOL.... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2018, 11:39:08 AM »
By the way, as an engineer and one of the safety officers at my work, I think you are "shop attire" is awesome...LOL.... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I caught some crap on ADV rider for that pic.

I didn't bother pointing out that a physician took the photo!  :laugh: :grin: :laugh: But she mostly just worries about the kids hurting themselves, I'm pretty sure she knows there's nothing she can do about me.  :boozing: :thewife: :boozing:
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2018, 11:58:10 AM »
I caught some crap on ADV rider for that pic.

I didn't bother pointing out that a physician took the photo!  :laugh: :grin: :laugh: But she mostly just worries about the kids hurting themselves, I'm pretty sure she knows there's nothing she can do about me.  :boozing: :thewife: :boozing:

lol...I can see their concerns, but all we can do is "enforce" when we can, and take a grain of salt...

I had to learn to know when to push the rule and when to side step the worker and talk to them without stupid penalty...

We all got to learn, and hopefully no stupid injuries. :thumb:
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2018, 12:01:06 PM »

Never looked at a BMW boxer and thought, "man, what a good looking motorcycle". 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2018, 12:05:16 PM »
lol...I can see their concerns, but all we can do is "enforce" when we can, and take a grain of salt...

I had to learn to know when to push the rule and when to side step the worker and talk to them without stupid penalty...

We all got to learn, and hopefully no stupid injuries. :thumb:

I do usually wear closed toe shoes, long pants, and < GASP > even safety goggle if doing a lot of cutting/grinding etc.

You can't tell from the angle but my face is pretty far out of the potential spray area, though yes, that's no guarantee.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Lcarlson

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2018, 02:11:04 PM »
I’ve had several Corbin saddles and have found them to be well-made, if very heavy, but they never fit properly without bending/drilling/shimming.  When I called their customer “service” to complain about the first one, the tech explained, without apparent irony, “That’s because it’s a bad design.” Seriously. That said, once fitted, I could ride several hours without thinking about the saddle, which is the point.

My Sargent saddles, OTOH, have always clicked into place just like stock, and are also very comfortable. And their seat pans are much lighter.

This is a picture of my Sargent saddle after 15 years on the bike. As you can see, they hold up pretty well. A recommended product.

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2018, 02:16:35 PM »
Never looked at a BMW boxer and thought, "man, what a good looking motorcycle".

You and Tusayan should start a club...

Offline jpv7

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2018, 09:00:50 PM »
I�ve had several Corbin saddles and have found them to be well-made, if very heavy, but they never fit properly without bending/drilling/shimming.  When I called their customer �service� to complain about the first one, the tech explained, without apparent irony, �That�s because it�s a bad design.� Seriously. That said, once fitted, I could ride several hours without thinking about the saddle, which is the point.

My Sargent saddles, OTOH, have always clicked into place just like stock, and are also very comfortable. And their seat pans are much lighter.

This is a picture of my Sargent saddle after 15 years on the bike. As you can see, they hold up pretty well. A recommended product.

+1.  I've owned 3 Sargent seats over the years used on my Ducatis (90SS/SP, Monster S2R1000, ST4S and i would not hesitate to get one for my V7 if it was offered.  I would pass on the Corbin - i bought one a while back and did find it heavy and as hard as a rock.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2018, 09:04:37 PM »
I've offered to buy Jenn a Sargent for her Ducati. But just as she refused to upgrade the seats on her two lowered Sportsters and her R65 before, she refuses.

I swear if I didn't know better I'd say the girl has no feeling in her ass! [emoji56]
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Moto Fugazzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waiting on a sign from God, or a nod from hell.
    • Griso
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2018, 11:22:39 PM »
Can't wait to hear how the seat works out for you. I also enjoyed seeing your bare feet in the pics!
Ken
Ken
2004 V11 Cafe Sport
2009 V7C White
2007 Griso Black-Sold
1978 V50 II Blue-Sold

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2018, 06:19:20 AM »
I also enjoyed seeing your bare feet in the pics!

:shocked:

:boozing:
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2018, 07:13:31 AM »
I do usually wear closed toe shoes, long pants, and < GASP > even safety goggle if doing a lot of cutting/grinding etc.

You can't tell from the angle but my face is pretty far out of the potential spray area, though yes, that's no guarantee.

WHAT ABOUT HEARING PROTECTION!!! 

LOL!

Sorry for yelling, just wasn't sure if you had any hearing left. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2018, 08:31:36 AM »
Shameless self promotion :embarrassed:   Just listed my V7 III seat in the Swap Meet. I have no basis of comparison but magazine/online reviews say it's a significant improvement over the II seat.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2018, 05:42:27 PM »
For what it's worth, I just received my Corbin seat for my Stelvio and it fit just fine.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here