Author Topic: 1976 Lemans Project  (Read 23363 times)

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 1976 Lemans Project
« Reply #120 on: May 03, 2020, 05:04:54 PM »
The factory parts manual doesn't show any hose guides on the front fender at all.

You have to look on page 15 (September 1978 Edition)with the brake lines as there is a part number (14659750) that is different than the guide (17659750) underneath the tank. Harpers shows the front fender guides on their website, but I have been down that road with them before so I never order anything on line as it’s better to just call them for confirmation.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #121 on: May 05, 2020, 01:29:37 PM »
Well, can't find the brackets anywhere so I guess I'll just move on until a pair shows up somewhere. I thought about cutting and bending the two that I have but it is unlikely I'm skilled enough to pull that one off.

I have the single caliper working reasonably well, but the linked brakes are a problem. The rear caliper has a leak and I've taken it apart numerous times but I don't see anything and I don't quite know what to do about this one.  Guess I'll take it apart again and pull the plunger to see if there is something in there; guess that is the risk one takes when purchasing used calipers on eBay though these two looked perfectly fine when they arrived. The drip is very minor, but obviously this won't fly.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #122 on: May 05, 2020, 05:53:56 PM »
Well, can't find the brackets anywhere so I guess I'll just move on until a pair shows up somewhere. I thought about cutting and bending the two that I have but it is unlikely I'm skilled enough to pull that one off.

I have the single caliper working reasonably well, but the linked brakes are a problem. The rear caliper has a leak and I've taken it apart numerous times but I don't see anything and I don't quite know what to do about this one.  Guess I'll take it apart again and pull the plunger to see if there is something in there; guess that is the risk one takes when purchasing used calipers on eBay though these two looked perfectly fine when they arrived. The drip is very minor, but obviously this won't fly.

The agony of chasing leaking Brembo calipers :angry:, I can relate, both of the twin bleeder calipers I put on my Ducati 860 GT bike wept from the caliper body joint, the little O ring is the culprit. On both Brembo calipers the stock O ring that came with the new Brembo seal kit did not seal correctly. I have a big box of these calipers disassembled awaiting refinishing and looking at half a dozen the depth of the recess that takes the O ring is inconsistent on these calipers, the machining is all over the place. On one pair I had to fit a larger O ring and a smaller O ring on the other. I would start with checking the O rings, very rare to find a leak between the pistons and the caliper flat O ring seals.
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #123 on: May 05, 2020, 06:38:01 PM »

Check Harper's - Curtis is listing used ones

http://www.harpermoto.com/?subcats=Y&status=A&pshort=N&pfull=N&pname=Y&pkeywords=Y&search_performed=Y&q=55436525&dispatch=products.search

HOLDER (#55436525) USED ONLY = $4.00

TLM shows the picture for this part but unfortunately not in stock

https://shop.tlm.nl/en/nla-guide-brake-cable-554365250000-moto-guzzi
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #123 on: May 05, 2020, 06:38:01 PM »

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #124 on: May 05, 2020, 09:18:41 PM »
The agony of chasing leaking Brembo calipers :angry:, I can relate, both of the twin bleeder calipers I put on my Ducati 860 GT bike wept from the caliper body joint, the little O ring is the culprit. On both Brembo calipers the stock O ring that came with the new Brembo seal kit did not seal correctly. I have a big box of these calipers disassembled awaiting refinishing and looking at half a dozen the depth of the recess that takes the O ring is inconsistent on these calipers, the machining is all over the place. On one pair I had to fit a larger O ring and a smaller O ring on the other. I would start with checking the O rings, very rare to find a leak between the pistons and the caliper flat O ring seals.

Guess I’ll take it apart again and look at the little o ring. Where did you source a supply of those little things?
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #125 on: May 05, 2020, 09:20:57 PM »
Check Harper's - Curtis is listing used ones

http://www.harpermoto.com/?subcats=Y&status=A&pshort=N&pfull=N&pname=Y&pkeywords=Y&search_performed=Y&q=55436525&dispatch=products.search

HOLDER (#55436525) USED ONLY = $4.00

TLM shows the picture for this part but unfortunately not in stock

https://shop.tlm.nl/en/nla-guide-brake-cable-554365250000-moto-guzzi

I talked to Curtis on Monday and he was going to get back to me if he found any used ones, but no word back from him.  Not exactly a big sale so this isn’t high on his list.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #126 on: May 06, 2020, 07:00:45 AM »
I spent hours trying to bleed my linked brakes.  I had installed a rebuild kit in the rear master cylinder and was convinced it was okay.  Finally I ordered a new rear master and bled the system in 15 minutes.

After talking to Leafman, he suggested taking it apart again and look over the pistons real close with a magnifying glass to see if there is a flaw somewhere and re-cleaning the entire caliper to make sure there isn't some gunk in there somewhere. Normally I would have replaced these calipers with new ones but I wanted the double bleeder calipers as per what was originally on the bike.

But I did get it started today for a second, but one of the carbs was leaking and the starter/kill switch has a problem with intermittent killing of power to the coils so I'll tackle both of those items tomorrow.

This was after pulling the heads,etc. to install new cam followers like I should have done from the beginning.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #127 on: May 08, 2020, 06:16:17 PM »
I'm having one of those times trying to get the bike started.  I installed a Dyna and everything went fine, then it was only sparking on one side so I installed the points, then they weren't working right either.  Turns out the pin to the distributor gear sheared off which gave me some worry for a minute until I found the head on top of cam gear. Installed a roll pin to anchor the gear, re-installed the dizzy, set up the points as best I could as I haven't done this in like 15 plus years. I have spark to both plugs but no start. Not even a burp. Sprayed some starter fluid in both carbs but that didn't do much of anything but ignite on the first stroke and that was about it.

Going to start all over again tomorrow with the installation of the distributor as per Guzziology and go from there. As per Haynes, I have the points opening at the retard line and I've incrementally moved the distributor in both directions but nothing. 

I'm wondering if I should use a degree wheel to check the cam timing as this isn't a stock cam in the bike.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Motorad64

• Hatchling
« Reply #128 on: May 12, 2020, 05:15:38 PM »
I routed my hoses as below after studying period pics and how they came from the PO.  I may have an original under tank loop if you come up empty. 

why do insurance companies ask for mileage

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #129 on: May 14, 2020, 05:04:25 PM »
Thanks, I have located a pair of hose holders and a foot peg holder so I believe that i'm done with the missing parts. I even located a pair of NOS velocity stacks, which weren't cheap but I got them.

I'm still fighting with getting it to run right but I'll get it eventually.

This is about it for now. Once it gets going I have to take the side panels back for some touch ups and the inside of the fairings needs paint.

Oh, and the headers which I still haven't received from Teo Lamers. And then there is the Euro headlight bucket which I have no idea where that thing is at, ordered it a month ago but it is missing in the US customs void.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 05:07:20 PM by blackcat »
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Motorad64

• Hatchling
« Reply #130 on: May 15, 2020, 08:16:58 AM »
Looks great, Blackcat!   I've got a cranks-but-won't-start issue, myself.  Have been slammed with - work and hoping to have Dr Mullendore take a look as she's 95% together.   Want to get her running prior to finishing up the fairing mount, new grips, etc. 

Mine appears to have decent spark, fuel flowing well through new taps, super clean carbs, etc.  I regrouped and rebuilt the switchgear, re-traced the wiring and connections with my G.Bender cheatsheet and cleaned up all the routing, re-checking old photos to keep things as as-original.   As people have said:  there is a sh**load of wiring for 1978 considering no FI/electronic anything.

One thing I DO appreciate is the ease of taking the tank on and off.  I've also learned that the blue fuel line leaks when new but seems to get some grip on the spigots after gas exposure

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #131 on: May 15, 2020, 09:50:54 AM »
Looks great, Blackcat!   I've got a cranks-but-won't-start issue, myself.  Have been slammed with - work and hoping to have Dr Mullendore take a look as she's 95% together.   Want to get her running prior to finishing up the fairing mount, new grips, etc. 

Mine appears to have decent spark, fuel flowing well through new taps, super clean carbs, etc.  I regrouped and rebuilt the switchgear, re-traced the wiring and connections with my G.Bender cheatsheet and cleaned up all the routing, re-checking old photos to keep things as as-original.   As people have said:  there is a sh**load of wiring for 1978 considering no FI/electronic anything.

One thing I DO appreciate is the ease of taking the tank on and off.  I've also learned that the blue fuel line leaks when new but seems to get some grip on the spigots after gas exposure

Thanks.

I wish that I was close to Charley as I'd just give it him to sort out these issues on mine. 

For some reason I thought that yours was a running machine, good luck with the project.  I have re-wired my CX a couple of times over the last almost 20 years so I'm quite familiar with those harnesses. And if you think the early Lemans has a lot of wires, the CX/SP has way more wires.

I re-torqued the heads yesterday but stupid me didn't re-adjust the valves so it didn't start and I moved on to other projects for the day. Have to give it another try this morning.  I pulled the fuel taps but the filters weren't clogged, but with more gas in the tank the volume has increased but there clearly is something wrong with the fuel flow. Until I figure this one out I'm going to use the 1000S tank on the bike to rule out this particular issue.

1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Motorad64

• Hatchling
« Reply #132 on: May 15, 2020, 12:40:22 PM »
Nice...!  Glad you've got yours running.  Sounds like your just waiting on parts.  Charley is great, but in high demand.   And people keeping giving him projects that are more fun than LeMans wiring.   Thought of offering him a 12-pack of TP...quilted, double roll--the good stuff.   I have a feeling it would take him 10 min to figure out something I had bass ackwards. 

I pulled my taps to check as well--I'd had my tank RedKoted since it was super clean inside and want to keep it rust free.  No schmutz.   

Curious how she runs.  Charley suggested keeping jetting from the PO to see how it runs.  Has a B10 cam.  Haven't decided on original velocity stacks or K&N style filters. 
- K5 Needles
- 152 main
- 265 atomizer
- 60 Idle

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #133 on: May 15, 2020, 05:53:26 PM »
Nice...!  Glad you've got yours running.  Sounds like your just waiting on parts.  Charley is great, but in high demand.   And people keeping giving him projects that are more fun than LeMans wiring.   Thought of offering him a 12-pack of TP...quilted, double roll--the good stuff.   I have a feeling it would take him 10 min to figure out something I had bass ackwards. 

I pulled my taps to check as well--I'd had my tank RedKoted since it was super clean inside and want to keep it rust free.  No schmutz.   

Curious how she runs.  Charley suggested keeping jetting from the PO to see how it runs.  Has a B10 cam.  Haven't decided on original velocity stacks or K&N style filters. 
- K5 Needles
- 152 main
- 265 atomizer
- 60 Idle

My running issues have been the timing and the points as I haven't adjusted Guzzi points in like 15-18 years and now I remember why I hated them back then. Now that I've spent quite a few days playing with them I know how to do it in the future but the replacement Dyna should be here in a few days which I will install and hopefully not think about for many years.

Yesterday I got it running but not particularly well so I went back and adjusted the points again which IMO are nothing but a pain in the ass.  After modifying the points plate some more, I finally got the left cylinder right and now it starts on half an engine stroke. But it isn't idling right, so more fine turning but I'll wait until the new jets arrive.

I am using the needle and jets that came with the bike but I've ordered all new items from MG Cycle which I should get on Monday and they are the same as yours but a 145 main jet.  This engine has a SS/P3 Raceco cam so it has a bit more lift than the B10 if I'm not mistaken.

Lift: 8.25mm
Duration: 290 degrees.

1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #134 on: May 19, 2020, 11:11:52 AM »
Well, I got the bike running but it won't idle without me feeding it gas. I've replaced all the jets and needles and adjusted the float height but even with adjusting the slide screws to maximum it still won't hold an idle. This morning I'm going to double check the float height but I would think that if it was too lean, it would starve for gas when the throttle is opened to the max and it doesn't do that. The pilot jets are new, my only other thought is that there is a plugged jet but it would seem unlikely to be plugged on both carbs.

I'm starting to think that I may be forced to buy newer carbs, have the anodized? finish removed and install the top cranks as per the original carbs.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #135 on: May 19, 2020, 06:49:25 PM »
Look into the carb from the open end and see if the slide rises when the idle screws are turned in. If not try cutting a few coils off the idle screw spring so that the idle screw can travel further into the carb body, that may help

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #136 on: May 22, 2020, 05:53:31 PM »
Look into the carb from the open end and see if the slide rises when the idle screws are turned in. If not try cutting a few coils off the idle screw spring so that the idle screw can travel further into the carb body, that may help

I've given up, those carbs are possessed so I purchased a pair of period correct carbs from MG Cycle which should be here on Tuesday. 

Right now I've got the 36's from my 1000S on the bike with the K-5 needles and the same slides that were in the old carbs. Started right up and I got it to idle in a few minutes.

Just got back from the DMV and now it's finally titled and tagged.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #137 on: May 22, 2020, 06:15:32 PM »
Thanks, I have located a pair of hose holders and a foot peg holder so I believe that i'm done with the missing parts. I even located a pair of NOS velocity stacks, which weren't cheap but I got them.

I'm still fighting with getting it to run right but I'll get it eventually.

This is about it for now. Once it gets going I have to take the side panels back for some touch ups and the inside of the fairings needs paint.

Oh, and the headers which I still haven't received from Teo Lamers. And then there is the Euro headlight bucket which I have no idea where that thing is at, ordered it a month ago but it is missing in the US customs void.

Wow! That is a beauty. :thumb:

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #138 on: May 22, 2020, 08:24:26 PM »
I've given up, those carbs are possessed so I purchased a pair of period correct carbs from MG Cycle which should be here on Tuesday. 

Right now I've got the 36's from my 1000S on the bike with the K-5 needles and the same slides that were in the old carbs. Started right up and I got it to idle in a few minutes.

Just got back from the DMV and now it's finally titled and tagged.

You made the right decision, I wasted a year trying to get the same carbs to function on my Laverda SF1 and now have a Frankenstein pair of 3/4 new ~ 1/4 old Dellorto monsters that still won't idle correctly no matter what I try, I know I will end up just buying a new pair.

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #139 on: May 23, 2020, 08:15:45 AM »
You made the right decision, I wasted a year trying to get the same carbs to function on my Laverda SF1 and now have a Frankenstein pair of 3/4 new ~ 1/4 old Dellorto monsters that still won't idle correctly no matter what I try, I know I will end up just buying a new pair.

MG Cycle had them on their website for a while and I'd rather get them from a trusted source then gamble on a pair (if I could find them) on eBay. They need to be cleaned up of course and I have all new jets and needles from the current carbs so this should hopefully solve the problems.   I'll keep the old pair for parts,
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #140 on: May 23, 2020, 10:11:10 AM »
Fingers crossed this does the trick for you.  I think it will.

I fought a carb problem on my chopper project for over a year.  I had performed what I thought was a good refresh of the old S&S B carb but just couldn't get it to idle properly.  I chased everything imaginable down for months.  Finally I ponied up and bought a NOS S&S B carb and I was immediately rewarded with this. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUOH9ZLXt4M
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #141 on: May 26, 2020, 02:05:19 PM »
Fingers crossed this does the trick for you.  I think it will.

I fought a carb problem on my chopper project for over a year.  I had performed what I thought was a good refresh of the old S&S B carb but just couldn't get it to idle properly.  I chased everything imaginable down for months.  Finally I ponied up and bought a NOS S&S B carb and I was immediately rewarded with this. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUOH9ZLXt4M

Dave, That is a really nice bike. I can see owning and keeping that Harley.

The carbs are supposed to arrive today so I will clean them up install the new jets and needles and hopefully that is the end of this problem. 

I finally solved the linked brake bleeding issue, the piston wasn't fully compressing due to the wrong part on the master cylinder.  I wrongly assumed that the newly purchased master cylinder didn't require another part but the fine print on MC website suggest replacing the one that came with the MC with the one from the soon to be replaced MC.  I didn't have a MC with this bike when I got it but fortunately I had one from my CX.

And the 40mm headers I ordered in February from Teo Lamers finally showed up today:

I have no idea if it needs a clamp at the cross-over, hopefully it doesn't as it will be rather unsightly and I'm hoping that the stock clamps at the header will work too. Otherwise, I've got to wait awhile until those arrive.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #142 on: May 26, 2020, 09:14:08 PM »
I routed my hoses as below after studying period pics and how they came from the PO.  I may have an original under tank loop if you come up empty. 

why do insurance companies ask for mileage

I'm missing those brake hose holders for my Le Mans.  Any idea where I can get some?
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #143 on: May 27, 2020, 09:06:57 AM »
I'm missing those brake hose holders for my Le Mans.  Any idea where I can get some?

I have made them with stainless steel rod of the matching diamter (or close) and heat from a torch, I bend the stainless around a pipe form then the small loop arounf needle nose pliers while red hot. Polish ot out after coolng and your done.

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #144 on: May 29, 2020, 08:41:18 AM »
I finally sourced a pair and waiting on their arrival. Thought about modifying a pair from the under tank bracket as I have a pair of those brackets and they are available on line.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #145 on: June 26, 2020, 11:56:43 AM »
Thanks to Charley's tip I purchased a headlight from a V65 on eBay from a guy in Greece back in March and it has finally shown up and it isn't broken which is amazing given how it was just stuffed in a show box with no protection.

So I'm going from the US headlight, which I've actually sort of gotten use to.

To this after I get it powder coated including the chrome trim:

Of course I will keep the original light which is all fogged up.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #146 on: June 27, 2020, 10:58:33 AM »
I'm having one of those times trying to get the bike started.  I installed a Dyna and everything went fine, then it was only sparking on one side so I installed the points, then they weren't working right either.  Turns out the pin to the distributor gear sheared off which gave me some worry for a minute until I found the head on top of cam gear. Installed a roll pin to anchor the gear, re-installed the dizzy, set up the points as best I could as I haven't done this in like 15 plus years. I have spark to both plugs but no start. Not even a burp. Sprayed some starter fluid in both carbs but that didn't do much of anything but ignite on the first stroke and that was about it.

Going to start all over again tomorrow with the installation of the distributor as per Guzziology and go from there. As per Haynes, I have the points opening at the retard line and I've incrementally moved the distributor in both directions but nothing. 

I'm wondering if I should use a degree wheel to check the cam timing as this isn't a stock cam in the bike.

I am in exactly this position now with Brad's (Motorad64) Le Mans. Been through everything, now looking at cam timing which is totally off for some reason. The cam is a regrind of unknown origins, so is suspect. I'll be swapping in a stock Le Mans cam to see what valve timing is with that as a "baseline".
Charlie

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #147 on: June 28, 2020, 11:06:15 AM »
I am in exactly this position now with Brad's (Motorad64) Le Mans. Been through everything, now looking at cam timing which is totally off for some reason. The cam is a regrind of unknown origins, so is suspect. I'll be swapping in a stock Le Mans cam to see what valve timing is with that as a "baseline".

I did check the cam timing and it was spot on, but in my case it was just getting the points opening at the right time. My doofus problem is probably not what is going on with you and Brad's bike.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #148 on: July 23, 2020, 02:38:40 PM »
After replacing the large final drive seal a couple of times with no real improvement in the leak I decided to pull the hub for a proper cleaning and as much as I've tried, it's toast. I could try another seal now that it is much cleaner but I have no desire to throw away more money on seals.

So, I've ordered another hub from MG Cycle and the small inner seal and I'm either going to send it to Steve for a fix or attempt to do it myself. I've been afraid of touching these bevel boxes and I feel like this might be the time to give it a go as I'm not changing the gears because they look perfectly fine to me:

I've printed out Pete's written explanation and I have the shop manual but I have to think about whether I want to do this work.  I was just going to put tin foil in an outside gas grille and bring it up to 250 degree's as I don't want to put it in the house oven. Need a HF two arm puller but I don't know why a slide hammer puller is needed as per a This Old Tractor special tools list.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline 1down5up

• Hatchling
« Reply #149 on: July 23, 2020, 04:20:51 PM »

I've printed out Pete's written explanation and I have the shop manual but I have to think about whether I want to do this work.  I was just going to put tin foil in an outside gas grille and bring it up to 250 degree's as I don't want to put it in the house oven. Need a HF two arm puller but I don't know why a slide hammer puller is needed as per a This Old Tractor special tools list.

Need the slid hammer for removing the outer race of the needle bearing in the above photo. I also use it to remove the small inner seal.

Puller is for the inner race that's on the hub.

If the needle bearing and races look good you can leave the inner on the hub, but the outer needs to come out to remove the bronze washer and get to the seal

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here