Author Topic: West of Denver  (Read 658 times)

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
West of Denver
« on: August 08, 2022, 10:00:02 AM »
I plan to pass through the area west of Denver, and Eastern Utah. I may have a spare day or two.
Glancing at the map, it looks like some interesting roads just off of interstate 70. Are there any must see drives in that area?
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: West of Denver
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 11:17:45 AM »
Milner pass trough Rocky Mountain National Park. Brings you into Estes a cool little town.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 12:48:05 PM »
I'd ask Seth.  I've got limited riding up and down I-70, I usually ride south of the highway. 

Three I can recommend are 133 South Carbondale to Paonia, the only problem is the traffic at Glenwood Springs.  If you're no so far west, you can try 103 south of Idaho Springs up to Mt Evans.  Another nice ride is south of Georgetown down Guanella Pass to Grant and back.

You can also do a loop through Aspen, hwy 82 and hwy 24 through Independence Pass. 

Good luck Wayne. Check your maps and see what works.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Dharma Bum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2022, 04:07:45 PM »
Get off the Interstate at Minturn, go up Tennessee Pass thru Leadville, turn west at Twin Lakes and over Independence  Pass to Aspen . Up the road to Glenwood Springs and back on the I. Or turn west at Carbondale, head over to Paonia and say hi to Seth!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2022, 04:07:45 PM »

Online Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2022, 05:56:02 PM »
Not sure where you are headed but145 from Delores north is a beautiful ride.

Offline Archangel

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2022, 06:33:24 PM »
I plan to pass through the area west of Denver, and Eastern Utah. I may have a spare day or two.
Glancing at the map, it looks like some interesting roads just off of interstate 70. Are there any must see drives in that area?

Right off I-70 just before Grand Junction get off on Hwy 65 South and go over the Grand Mesa all the way to Cedaredge and then return back to I-70. Going back the same way keeps you higher out of the heat.

Also HWY 92 along the Black Canyon of the Gunnison south of Paonia is one of the most scenic rides in Colorado. Just so happens there are a couple of Guzzi Riders in Paonia who would love to show you the way. You could do this after the Hwy 133 ride from Glenwood to Carbondale toward Paonia. Linking this ride to the Grand Mesa ride is also possible and would bring you back to I 70
2022 V7 850 Special
2017 Yamaha XT250
2013 Stelvio NTX - Sold
1995 Cali 1100 - Sold

Offline LongRanger

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2022, 07:29:12 PM »
Exit I-70 westbound at Exit #252 Evergreen Parkway and follow signs to CO 103 / Mt. Evans. It’s a very scenic and curvy 28-mile route and will put you back on I-70 westbound at Idaho Springs. Be sure to stop at Echo Lake Lodge located adjacent to the Mt Evans entrance station for a slice of homemade apple pie.

Once back on I-70 westbound, take Exit #240 US 40 and follow it over Berthoud Pass and continue on past Kremmling. A few miles after Kremmling, take CO 134 over Gore Pass. When you reach Toponas, follow CO 131 southbound and it will dump you out on I-70 at Walcott, which is just east of Glenwood Canyon and Glenwood Springs. All very fine roads.

Alternatively, instead of US 40 over Berthoud Pass, exit I-70 westbound at Georgetown and follow the signs for Guanella Pass. This will lead you to US 285 at Grant, which you follow southbound over Kenosha Pass and to Buena Vista. From BV, follow US 24 northbound towards Leadville and I-70. Or, exit US 24 at CO 82 and ride over Independence Pass towards Aspen and on to I-70 at Glenwood Springs.

Generally I recommend avoiding I-70 through the mountains because it’s rather boring and not very scenic.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 09:18:56 PM by LongRanger »
2012 BMW R1200R Classic

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2022, 07:41:49 PM »
Hy 14 out of fort Collins is one of my favorite spots. Runs right up the Poudre river. Walden Co. has a bunch of moose. I just booked a KOA Kabin in Sept.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2022, 10:43:29 PM »
I wouldn't miss Mesa Verde National Park.  It is my intention to see it again with more time before I pass. I really would like to show it to my second wife, 20 years, she hasn't seen much of the country. Work and everything else. Colorado has a lot to see, I  traveled a lot of the state on my R75/5.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline travelingbyguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • God hates a coward
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2022, 08:34:51 AM »
The Colorado National Monument near Fruita CO is is very impressive, with the bonus that Fruita is the home of Mike the Headless Chicken. Be sure to visit the statue of Mike and get a Welcome To Fruita sticker.
A little further West, if you are in Green River at suppertime, Ray's Tavern puts out a really good hamburger.
73 Eldorado
80 Sp
85 Cal II
97 1100Sport
08 1200 Sport AKA:Sweet Leaf
I'm not really drowning; I can see the beach from here.

Offline guzzi4me

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2022, 10:12:03 AM »
The Colorado National Monument near Fruita CO is is very impressive, with the bonus that Fruita is the home of Mike the Headless Chicken. Be sure to visit the statue of Mike and get a Welcome To Fruita sticker.
A little further West, if you are in Green River at suppertime, Ray's Tavern puts out a really good hamburger.

The ride through the Monument is amazing. Might even see some Big Horn sheep. Best way to enjoy is to start at the East entrance. It will take you to the West entrance which is right at Fruita.

Have fun!

Jeff

Jeff S
Fruita CO

01 Jackal "Mistress"...sold
02 Stone "Giada"...donated Cedar Vale raffle
16 Stone V7 II "Olivia"...racking up the miles!!

Offline guzzi4me

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2022, 08:30:53 PM »
A few more from the Monument..

Jeff S
Fruita CO

01 Jackal "Mistress"...sold
02 Stone "Giada"...donated Cedar Vale raffle
16 Stone V7 II "Olivia"...racking up the miles!!

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here