General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

Another Benelli Egg bike

(1/10) > >>

Canuck750:
This summer I met the fellow who started the Rocky Mountain Giro in Nakusp BC and we got talking about Motobi/Benelli egg motor bikes. I had rebuilt a spare 250 4-speed motor and was interested in finding a rolling chassis to form the start of another Giro bike, in this case it needs to be 250 cc or smaller and 1969 or older.

The fellow had some spares I could take a look at, when I went out to his place he offered me a nearly complete 1969 125 Sport Special, identical to the 250 Sport Special except for the motor. I bought this project and am in deep restoring it, the paint is original and will be saved. The stainless fenders cleaned up real nice and the frame parts have been powder coated. These port Specials have 18" wheels front and back, clip-on bars and a gas tank and seat unique to this model, 1969 ~ 70 only I believe and very few imported to North America.

the 5 speed bikes have a wider swing arm and rear hub as the engine drive sprocket sits further from the motor on the 5 speed bikes. I was able to modify the rear hub, sprocket carrier and brake plate to bring the sprockets into alignment with the wheel about 6 mm off center. I will try and offset the hub in the wheel to accommodate that.

Plenty of work to do over the winter, wheel building, seat re-upholstery, source exhaust, re-wire, etc....

kballowe:
That's going to turn out nice !

Oh and as usual, we'll need more pictures !

:bike-037:

cliffrod:
Man, Jim, you live on a slippery slope.  That’s another great looking bike.  I’ll be watching.

Curious about the smooth top triple tree.  Is it alloy or stamped steel painted argent?

Canuck750:

--- Quote from: cliffrod on December 17, 2023, 07:49:07 AM ---Man, Jim, you live on a slippery slope.  That’s another great looking bike.  I’ll be watching.

Curious about the smooth top triple tree.  Is it alloy or stamped steel painted argent?

--- End quote ---

Hello Clint,

The triple trees are alloy, painted silver, I couldn’t find a powder colour I liked locally so I used POR-15 stainless steel in a spray bomb, this POR-15 paint is the toughest stuff I have found that is almost as durable as powder.

I just ordered the exhaust from Detlef Burian at Benelliparts.de. Plus a few other small things that were missing. I found new polished alloy flanged rims; 1.85 x 18” from the Jawa Shop in the Czech Republic, for the air including delivery, under $150 US.

Dave Swanson:
This bike is so cool!  Finding one in restorable shape is very rare indeed.  Fabulous

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version