Author Topic: First years for Stelio & Griso in U.S.?  (Read 1371 times)

Online willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
First years for Stelio & Griso in U.S.?
« on: February 18, 2017, 08:24:24 AM »
What were the the first years that the Stevlio and Griso imported to the U.S. Did they have the same engine and were those the first bikes with CARC?
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

jlburgess

Re: First years for Stelio & Griso in U.S.?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 11:06:31 AM »
I bought one of the first Griso models imported in 2009.  They came in black or white.  I believe they initially had the same engine but cam profiles were softened up for more torque on the Stelvio.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 11:11:28 AM by jlburgess »

Online willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 11:11:37 AM »
Thanks,  when was the Stelvio first year and engine?
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

pete roper

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 12:15:18 PM »
Remember that the Griso was originally produced as an 1100 using the last itteration of the old 2VPC pushrod motor. That would of been 2006 in the US I believe. The Stelvio always used the 4VPC lump and the US didn't get that until about 2009 I think, I know it was a bit later than most other places.

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 12:15:18 PM »

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 05:16:43 AM »
<snip>

Having read your comments on the subject in a couple different threads, and noticing your profile tag, ("fingers crossed"), I would submit that possibly your dealer did not do a proper inspection.

I quote Pete:
"As for whether any flat tappet 8V will survive all the evidence I've seen, and I've seen as much or more than most people, is that there is a 100% attrition rate. Some take longer to fail catastrophically than others but by 20,000km EVERY engine I've been into has had significant wear.

I'll reiterate the point that they don't start getting noisy, nor do the valve clearances change appreciably, until all or nearly all of the coating has flaked off the tappet face. Just because your bike isn't noisy doesn't mean it isn't destroying itself.

Pete"

You can, of course, do what you want with this information. At this time, Guzzi is footing the bill on the parts. Someday they will dry up and it will be difficult, or impossible to obtain said parts. Just food for thought. 

John Henry
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 05:17:44 AM by Zoom Zoom »

Moto

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 11:40:28 AM »
What were the the first years that the Stevlio and Griso imported to the U.S. Did they have the same engine and were those the first bikes with CARC?

I'm pretty sure the first year for the Griso in the U.S. was 2007, with the 1100 engine. It was available in Europe in 2006, I recall.

The 1100 Breva and the Griso essentially share the same engine (not counting the intake and exhaust systems). I think the Breva may have preceded the Griso in the U.S., as a 2006 model, but am not sure. Those two bikes were the first with the CARC.

John

Offline bigtex

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 02:13:46 PM »
Thanks,  when was the Stelvio first year and engine?

Available in the US in September of 2008 (as a 2009 model).  First one sold was this:

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 07:37:54 AM »
For the USA, Griso 1100 was here in 2006.  Stelvio 1200 8V was here in 2009.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

jlburgess

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 08:17:05 PM »
Having read your comments on the subject in a couple different threads, and noticing your profile tag, ("fingers crossed"), I would submit that possibly your dealer did not do a proper inspection.

I quote Pete:
"As for whether any flat tappet 8V will survive all the evidence I've seen, and I've seen as much or more than most people, is that there is a 100% attrition rate. Some take longer to fail catastrophically than others but by 20,000km EVERY engine I've been into has had significant wear.

I'll reiterate the point that they don't start getting noisy, nor do the valve clearances change appreciably, until all or nearly all of the coating has flaked off the tappet face. Just because your bike isn't noisy doesn't mean it isn't destroying itself.

Pete"

You can, of course, do what you want with this information. At this time, Guzzi is footing the bill on the parts. Someday they will dry up and it will be difficult, or impossible to obtain said parts. Just food for thought. 

John Henry

Yes, unfortunately for me my bike passed the inspection at a cost of $500.  That leaves me with a bike I can't afford to ride at this point.  I have ridden it only 1,000 miles in the last year when the inspection was done.  Will you be my first "go fund me" donor for stranded Guzzisti? :bike-037:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 08:19:16 PM by jlburgess »

pete roper

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 08:46:27 PM »
The thing is John I don't believe that your bike was inspected or, if it was, whoever did it had the nouse to recognise the damage for what it was. Can you not pull a cambox yourself and take it in to confront them with their ineptitude?

Pete

jlburgess

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 11:40:59 AM »
Frankly, I have given up on riding for the current time.  I don't have a garage, so pulling the heads and leaving it in thefriveway Iisn't appealing.  Maybe there's another dealer in SoCal somebody has had luck with in getting the work done under warranty?  I don't want to go back to a place that did crap work and was oblivious to the issue even after I sent them all the info.  Lack of attention to detail is a bad problem with mechanics here.  I almost got ripped off on my car repair too just last month.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here