Author Topic: I'm a stubborn old fart, I guess  (Read 3998 times)

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
I'm a stubborn old fart, I guess
« on: July 12, 2015, 08:29:43 PM »
I like simple, and I like stuff that doesn't drive me nuts with cost. So, I mounted a Denso mini alternator on my son's V65C. No R/R, no rotor, stator, and only 2 wires. Plus 35 amps. It has worked out well, other than getting a faulty alternator that got replaced under warranty for a bad diode. He took it to Canada, close to a 2000 mile trip. So, up next was the Cal II, which gave up the charging ghost. It wasn't that tough, but required a different approach. There was more room on the V65 than on the Cal II, so the alternator is not able to swing for belt removal, you have to take the 2 mounting bolts out and tip it forward to install or remove the belt. But it only takes a few minutes. The belt/pulley combo has perfect tension (lucky) so I did not have to fab the planned belt tensioner. I had to lower the front of the 2 main rails about 1 inch to make room for the little devil. That was easy. I cut the front gussets back some, will weld a couple heavier pieces back in that are slightly less in the way than originally. I accidentally bought the wrong alternator, got a 3 wire, so I had to jumper across the 2 small terminals as both need to have a 12 volt feed. No big deal. The fuel tank is clear of the alternator by a minimum of 3/8 of an inch on both sides, and not within an inch of the hot output wire. It's getting both insulated and a bit of probably unnecessary heat shield on the underbelly of the tank as well, cause I'm paranoid that way. I dumped the stock airbox for foam pods, not yet done, moved the coils to a nice location in front of the rear fender. My son Chris made a perfect fit cupholder looking thing to hold them out of 1/2 inch thick neoprene. I relocated the oil vent in the backbone, still have to add a pressure hose nipple somewhere yet. I also fabbed up a new battery box for a Virago battery I have, but it's a little too weak and I will do it again for a new AGM battery around 330 CCA. Excuse the picture quality and size. I haven't figured out how to downsize them. Things ain't painted up pretty, either.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 08:30:19 PM by wymple »
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
Re: I'm a stubborn old fart, I guess
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 08:34:06 PM »
I forgot to mention that my son Mark milled the old rotor stuff off the shaft, leaving only the center which has a lower pulley welded on. Mounts the same as the stock rotor did.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 08:35:35 PM »
won't the coils get over heated?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 08:36:56 PM »
I didn't think there would be enough room up in the frame there for that. Interesting upgrade.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 08:36:56 PM »

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 08:41:53 PM »
The coils are in a much cooler spot than on most bikes, where they are right above the engine and stuffed under the tank. They are larger than the stockers, which I stole for the V65 when the Dyna green coils puked from leaving the switch on too long while messing with it. I could use the stock location, but it would have been close and these are more open to air than under the side cover. There's no heat to speak of where they are. Oh, and they sit in a tray, they are not in a "bucket". The tray is only 1/2 inch thick.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 08:43:56 PM by wymple »

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 08:45:41 PM »
I will also put the lower cover back on with mods for the belt.

Hymes Inc.

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 10:05:08 PM »
Works great on the V65C.  Especially glad I don't have the volt light flickering at idle anymore, drove me nuts.  Tight squeeze but a welcome addition to the Cal 2. That is another bike that will be in the family forever.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 11:59:33 PM »
That was quite the undertaking  :thumb:

It looks as though its spinning near engine speed, one wonders why someone can't make something like that to fit in the shaft location.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 01:03:48 AM »
I think it would have been a piece of cake with the old loop frame.

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 02:31:31 AM »
Calling Mr Robinson, Mr Heath Robinson......
Elegant it is not, and for me a mod needs to pass the "elegance" test to be incorporated on anything I ride or drive.

Ciao
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 02:32:47 AM by lucky phil »
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 09:03:57 AM »
I like it!!  But, I don't really care if stuff is 'pretty' either :)

Next time my bike is apart I will probably do this same mod.  Then I can add some more lights to the bike :)
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 09:34:13 AM »
Think you should change the title from Stubborn Fart, to Smart Fart :-)
Good job!!!

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 09:44:19 AM »
I think it would have been a piece of cake with the old loop frame.

It's been done, numerous times and ways. There are kits available: http://www.scramblercycle.com/alt-conversion.html

Charlie

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 10:28:50 AM »
That was quite the undertaking  :thumb:

It looks as though its spinning near engine speed, one wonders why someone can't make something like that to fit in the shaft location.

The alternator pulley is 2 3/4 inch, and the crank pulley is 3.35, just over 3 1/4. I'm charging high 12's at idle, mid 13's at 2k, and top out at 14.4 about halfway up the rev range. I kept the rpms low on the alternator thinking it might help longevity. We're spinning the V65 setup faster than this. A pulley on the crank around 4 inches would bring voltage readings up earlier, but I don't see the need. They put these minis on Goldwings as well with a kit.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here