Author Topic: '98 EV Rear Brake Drag With New Pads  (Read 1401 times)

Bill Havins

'98 EV Rear Brake Drag With New Pads
« on: September 16, 2015, 06:59:42 AM »
We're getting ready for our annual "Tour New Mexico" trip - a week of traveling back roads in the land of green chili!  Last night I replaced all of my brake pads (all three calipers) and, per usual, the rear brake is dragging (slight-to-moderate pressure on the disk all the time).  Heavy sigh....  The rear pads had worn very evenly but were to the bottoms of the wear indicators.

Is there a way to adjust this caliper so it doesn't drag?  The pistons both move freely (when pressed firmly with my thumb).  Or do I just wait for the pads to wear a bit?

Thanks!

Bill
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 07:13:04 AM by Bill Havins »

Offline RayB

• Gaggle Hero
Re: '98 EV Rear Brake Drag With New Pads
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 08:02:16 AM »
Bill
Are you sure your rear caliper isn't frozen? Could that have been the reason for the wear?
01 EV
82 BMW R100

Bill Havins

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 08:33:14 AM »

No, it's not frozen.  The two "springs" that "center" the non-pressured pad on the disk move freely, not easily, but freely.  And the pistons move easily with firm thumb pressure.  The pin the pads "slide" on is clean.

This is not Brembo's best design - pistons on one side and "springs" that center the non-pressured pad on the disk.  I'm beginning to wonder if this is a fluid level thing.  Later today I will drain the master cylinder to half-way between the min and max marks.  That will ensure the pistons can withdraw slightly after use.  With the level at full I'm not sure the pistons can withdraw easily after use.

Now that's my current theory.  I'll have 50 miles or so on the bike by this afternoon.  I'll give things a look-see then.

Bill

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 08:46:20 AM »
I'm beginning to wonder if this is a fluid level thing.  Later today I will drain the master cylinder to half-way between the min and max marks.  That will ensure the pistons can withdraw slightly after use.  With the level at full I'm not sure the pistons can withdraw easily after use.

The caliper is free to move on the mounting plate too, right?
I suspect it is a bit excess fluid though.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 08:46:20 AM »

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here