Author Topic: What guzzis, if any, are worth just staying away from?  (Read 13167 times)

Doppelgaenger

What guzzis, if any, are worth just staying away from?
« on: May 11, 2015, 11:29:23 AM »
So as I've grown to really enjoy the guzzi experience and community over the past six months, I'm inevitably thinking about getting another guzzi as a second bike, not necessarily modern either.

The quesion I have is, has guzzi ever made a turd bike?

For example, I know that the hydro engines are ticking time bombs to a T unless they've had the fix done, but they're excellent bikes once that has been fixed. I'm talking about true turds you want to stay away from.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
Re: What guzzis, if any, are worth just staying away from?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 11:40:55 AM »
All of the two cylinder ones should be avoided.

:BEER:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 08:20:50 PM by Wayne Orwig »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 11:45:42 AM »
it all depends on the price... none are worth nothing. some need more in repairs than you could ever hope to recoup. cylinder/piston kits, transmissions and rear drives, if needed, quickly add to the cost base of a guzzi.
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 12:04:00 PM »
In `83 Guzzi started using Nigusil cylinders starting with the SPNT model, which are good for over 200K miles if treated right.  So from `84 on the bikes are pretty much bullet proof if maintained properly.   By this time any warts should have been dealt with.  ;D  I've heard the SP III, Strada have an ignition that isn't bulletproof, but that is all.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 12:08:08 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 12:04:00 PM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 12:28:33 PM »
In `83 Guzzi started using Nigusil cylinders starting with the SPNT model, which are good for over 200K miles if treated right.  So from `84 on the bikes are pretty much bullet proof if maintained properly.   By this time any warts should have been dealt with.  ;D  I've heard the SP III, Strada have an ignition that isn't bulletproof, but that is all.

As long as it's the Digiplex, it's fine..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Jim Rich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 12:28:58 PM »
I would keep my distance from any Guzzi of which the rider has been eating Mexican food.

Or at least try to stay upwind.   ;)

canuguzzi

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 12:38:48 PM »
First bike = MG

Second bike = Something that is a gas and oil ride 10,000 miles before touching it. They make them.

Third bike = MG

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 01:20:53 PM »
Unless you want to start spending cubic dollars I would suggest you stay away from the early V7 Sport.

'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline Kai

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 02:07:14 PM »
Never consider a V 65 Lario as a bargain !
Spending my free time mostly with these Guzzis

MotoGoosy

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 02:42:27 PM »
Avoid the ones with the engines mounted sideways!!

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 02:55:31 PM »
I'd avoid any bike that's been butchered -- pipes open, air cleaners missing, wires chopped, evaporectomies, etc.  Ask what oil's been used.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 03:09:36 PM »
Never consider a V 65 Lario as a bargain !

;D
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 03:10:31 PM »
 Any 850 LeMans that has been crashed and set on fire. ;D
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

canuguzzi

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 03:11:00 PM »
I'd avoid any bike that's been butchered -- pipes open, air cleaners missing, wires chopped, evaporectomies, etc.  Ask what oil's been used.

:+1

and run if they say Crisco.

moss

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 04:21:57 PM »

Are open pipes a huge problem? Ive always been curious about this, but most give different answers...

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2015, 04:43:17 PM »
And you always will get different answers.  Those that do the mode assure you that with enough people to hold your beer you can run them forever because their nephew knew someone who did it with no problems.  Those that don't cite things like noise, backpressure, backfiring, burned exhaust valves, other problems I won't continue listing, and a lot of other mods needed to rebalance the system.

It's often an emotion v science argument.  But for my $$$$ I believe such an engine is probably damaged.  I'd buy it as salvage, but not as a runner.  $0.02/ymmv, etc.

Vasco DG

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2015, 04:45:18 PM »
Fifty years ago? Yes, significant gains could be made by having open pipes as long as the length and shape was correct. Nowadays you are far more likely to achieve a better result with a well designed and baffled exhaust system. First person who mentions 'Back Pressure' gets the dead hippo treatment..........

Pete

Online Dharma Bum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2015, 05:08:31 PM »
Just about any Guzzi for sale stirs longings of desire and is a potential hit to your wallet.  Just sayin'

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2015, 07:02:09 PM »
Think of them as beautiful Italian women. Budget for that and you'll always be happy! :BEER:
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Offline drums4money

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2015, 07:55:16 PM »
Avoid the ones with the engines mounted sideways!!

Some of those are ok. Its the shaft drive models that have become the real open sores. . I'm told.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 07:56:21 PM by drums4money »
hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing...liar

1200 Sport , Monster S2R, MV Agusta B3 800

Old School Audio:
http://oldschoolaudio.wix.com/headphones

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2015, 08:30:14 PM »
my deal with Guzzis is that any one bike is a good deal or bust depending on the history of the bike.  This forum tells you quickly what to look for on every model.  Get an old one if someone's upgraded the cylinders, get a new one is some has fixed x, y, or z.

bottomline, if you find a Guzzi you like, check on the board, someone will tell you what to look for.  If it's been done move accordingly, if not, figure what it takes to make it right or move on.

Someone here will probably know which way is up.   ;-T
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

56Pan

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2015, 09:03:07 PM »
my deal with Guzzis is that any one bike is a good deal or bust depending on the history of the bike.  This forum tells you quickly what to look for on every model.  Get an old one if someone's upgraded the cylinders, get a new one is some has fixed x, y, or z.

bottomline, if you find a Guzzi you like, check on the board, someone will tell you what to look for.  If it's been done move accordingly, if not, figure what it takes to make it right or move on.

Someone here will probably know which way is up.   ;-T

Offline lrutt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2015, 07:36:20 AM »
Honestly, I think the single biggest thing to be concerned with is if it was originally a bike with chrome bores:

- does it still have chrome bores.....if so there's $1000 right there to fix that. Assuming no other problems
- if it did have chrome bores and it flaked....did it destroy the bottom end....if so....you might break even if they gave it to you.

I just passed on a bike that has chrome bores. What he wanted, the condition it was in, etc. I had thought to fix and flip but with that $1000 spend i would not have made any money on it with everything else. Even if it were free it would have been a break even bike.

IMO, that is the single biggest thing to watch out for on Guzzis.
06 HD Sporty, 06 Tri Scram, 01 Duc M900, 01 Hon XR650L, 94 HD Heritage, 88 Hon Hawk GT, 84 Yam Virago, 82 Hon C70, 78 Hon CB750k w/sidecar, 76 Hon CB750k, 77 Guzzi Lemans, 73 Norton 850, 73 Hon Z50, 71 Tri Trophy, 70 Tri Tiger, 70 Hon CT90, 71 Yam RT1 360, 65 Hon 305 Dream, 70 Suz T250, 64 Hon CT200

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2015, 08:00:46 AM »
Are open pipes a huge problem? Ive always been curious about this, but most give different answers...

It's sort of a sign that the person who did it really doesn't know anything about motorcycle performance, just "noise" and "show".

And if THAT'S what they're interested in, there's probably a history of overrevving, lugging, overheating, and who knows what all else.   

Just something to watch out for.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2015, 08:22:03 AM »
It's sort of a sign that the person who did it really doesn't know anything about motorcycle performance, just "noise" and "show".

And if THAT'S what they're interested in, there's probably a history of overrevving, lugging, overheating, and who knows what all else.   

Just something to watch out for.

Lannis

Now if that's not a bad generalization...
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2015, 08:26:30 AM »
Honestly, I think the single biggest thing to be concerned with is if it was originally a bike with chrome bores:

- does it still have chrome bores.....if so there's $1000 right there to fix that. Assuming no other problems
- if it did have chrome bores and it flaked....did it destroy the bottom end....if so....you might break even if they gave it to you.

I just passed on a bike that has chrome bores. What he wanted, the condition it was in, etc. I had thought to fix and flip but with that $1000 spend i would not have made any money on it with everything else. Even if it were free it would have been a break even bike.

IMO, that is the single biggest thing to watch out for on Guzzis.
Agreed, but there are so many factors on an old bike anyway. Like the gears and u-joint in the swingarm or the clutch or........
If an old Guzzi is ridden occasionally and not a smokey old mess it'll be OK.
I love to take them on simply because they are an adventure to own and work on!
Bottom line: LowRyter is right on the money. Pick one and ask the board about it. If you think THIS thread was snarky just wait 'til we have a known target!! :BEER:
Hunter
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
84 BMW R100RS

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2015, 08:43:25 AM »
If you think THIS thread was snarky just wait 'til we have a known target!!

'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2015, 09:13:24 AM »
Now if that's not a bad generalization...

It's called "discernment".    We're not trying to convict someone in a court of law with "beyond a reasonable doubt", nor are we judging on "preponderance of evidence", nor are we offering them a job.

We're deciding how to spend our own money on a used motorcycle.   I can use MY own judgment to deduce what sort of life a bike might have lived, given the evidence I see.

For example, when my boys were coming along, I bought several small, used cars ($2500 range).  I learned to STAY AWAY FROM cars owned by young men, because they were GENERALLY (there's that generalization thing) rode hard and put away wet; internally modified, overrevved, holes cut in the interior for big speakers, etc.

All three cars I bought were owned by young ladies, living at home, whose Dads had been doing the maintenance for their girl, and now the girl is married and needs a minivan.   These cars were super-maintained, timing belts changed, looked like new inside.  They all went a quarter-million miles with no trouble.

Same for a modified bike with open pipes.   It's bad for the bike, and the rider probably wasn't riding like I do.   Why WOULD I spend my money on such a bike when there are well-cared-for ones out there .... ?

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline lrutt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2015, 10:16:58 AM »
Young women, or single women, are among the worst. They have zero concept of maintenance, warning lights, etc.

They just drive em till they stop. Would NOT own a car like that at all.

06 HD Sporty, 06 Tri Scram, 01 Duc M900, 01 Hon XR650L, 94 HD Heritage, 88 Hon Hawk GT, 84 Yam Virago, 82 Hon C70, 78 Hon CB750k w/sidecar, 76 Hon CB750k, 77 Guzzi Lemans, 73 Norton 850, 73 Hon Z50, 71 Tri Trophy, 70 Tri Tiger, 70 Hon CT90, 71 Yam RT1 360, 65 Hon 305 Dream, 70 Suz T250, 64 Hon CT200

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2015, 10:27:52 AM »
Young women, or single women, are among the worst. They have zero concept of maintenance, warning lights, etc.

They just drive em till they stop. Would NOT own a car like that at all.

My father, who wrote property and casualty insurance for 40 years, stated that the "most dangerous car on the road was a Honda with a young girl driving it". He noticed that they were often not focused on the task and were usually so close behind him that he could tell that quite plainly.
Not that all women are bad drivers......... :wife:
*running for cover*
Hunter
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
84 BMW R100RS

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here