Author Topic: Flo Oil Filters  (Read 22041 times)

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Flo Oil Filters
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2015, 05:51:34 AM »
Pete beat me to mentioning the old Loops and early T engines (late 75s have filters) go forever without filters. What he didn't say was justifying your washable filter by how many miles are on your engine is moot.
What I would like to know is why replace a better filter with one of less filtering ability? And then claim they are the bee's knees because you have high miles?
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

kirby1923

« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2015, 06:37:05 AM »
Pete beat me to mentioning the old Loops and early T engines (late 75s have filters) go forever without filters. What he didn't say was justifying your washable filter by how many miles are on your engine is moot.
What I would like to know is why replace a better filter with one of less filtering ability? And then claim they are the bee's knees because you have high miles?

I figure I have changed the oil in my beemer at least 40 times since I have owned it so why a cleanable one? Convenience for one. Having said that I submit that there are many more things that effect ware in the engine thanan oil filter. I mentioned the mileage to illustrate the fact that it has done little or no harm using a SS cleanable filter. This type of filter is used to clean drinking water on ships so can't be all bad.  Using the wrong viscosity oil can cause premature ware. How you ride and where you ride is a verybig factor as well. I like the flow dynamics and the convenience of a cleanable filter and have a very good method of cleaning same.

Bob asked a question and I tried to relate an answer from my experience. That's all.

:-)

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2015, 06:57:18 AM »
and that gets more expensive each time you hear a 'Dogga'!

;D ;D I still haven't heard the dreaded Dogga dogga noise. I probably shut down the Lario just in time after it wiped a cam lobe. There were bits in the bypass valve that were keeping it from seating.
Thanks for taking the time to post the pix and explanation, Pete..good stuff.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Vasco DG

« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2015, 07:10:55 AM »
The weird thing is with Mark III's Griso it really sounded like a top end problem. I'd probably still be scratching my head if it wasn't for the fact that John at Motocicolo in Sydney had had a Norge 8V that had been making a similar noise from new. He did everything he could think of at the top but eventually they had to tear it apart and Lo and behold! Same problem. Bottom end that sounded like top end! Weird, but worth remembering.

Oh, when you hear the 'Dogga-Dogga' noise? You don't forget it. Really. I kid you not..... ;D

Pete

PS. If you remember the scene at the end of 'The Blues Brothers' where the car supposedly throws a rod? The rod doesn't have to snap to make that noise.

That's the 'Dogga-Dogga' noise.

It's not good.

Blind Freddy's dog can tell its not good.

You don't need an engineering PhD to tell you it isn't good.

When you do hear it its a good time to roll your shoulders in and squeeze out a few tears because you just KNOW your wallet is about to be visciously abused....
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 07:27:10 AM by Vasco DG »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2015, 07:10:55 AM »

56Pan

« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2015, 10:18:26 AM »
 :+1 Never had a rod bearing let go on a motorcycle.  But did on a Jap car.  You don't forget that particular noise.  Cringe inducing.

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2015, 01:09:13 PM »

As I sit here watching this post and see the piling on, this post speaks volumes.  You guys are always saying "show me the miles"/"without miles to prove it it means nothing".  Now a guy talks about his mileage and he gets snapped by a suspender.  What the hell do you guys want from someone trying to tell their experience with a product??  Kirby has told you all he can and he's had good luck so far.  Lets say you Two Checks about your miles with filters on ONE bike?  It's not the end-all, but give the guy a break for giving his mileage which seems pretty impressive with any bike.  I'm not sold and wouldn't use a filter like this, but I won't sit here and fry the dude about giving info that seems to be the holy grail of justification around these parts... miles. 
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2015, 01:49:59 PM »
I'm not sold and wouldn't use a filter like this,

Well, there ya go, Dawg.. you're saying the same thing. <shrug> I'm certainly not frying him, and I don't see where anyone else is, either. He asked what we thought. Most said they wouldn't use it, and gave reasons why.  Mileage? For a Lario top end, yep, I think mileage will tell the tale.  ;D For a Guzzi bottom end? It's not uncommon for a Guzzi with no oil filter at all to go 200000 miles if the oil is changed regularly.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2015, 02:11:10 PM »
And that is my point, so saying your bike has gone X miles with aHi Flo filter means nothing. And I fail to see how having to clean it is convenient. Chuck the old and spin on a new. Nowthat's convenient. 2 hours vs 30 seconds.
Not flaming, not piling on , JMO. You axed, we gave.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline Charles in Lake Charles

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2015, 02:52:15 PM »
Anecdotal evidence does not prove causality. ;)
TOYS:
98 Yellow Centauro, 93 SPIII, 1978 LeMans,
1977 Convert, 1975 850-T (FOR SALE),
1985 Harley FLTC, 1985 K100RT
2001 Lees-ure Lite Camper,
1988 Mercedes 560SL

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2015, 03:05:11 PM »
Please send some of this hot air northward.  ;-T  It's been pretty chilly up here lately. :P
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Vasco DG

« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2015, 03:06:32 PM »
As I sit here watching this post and see the piling on, this post speaks volumes.  You guys are always saying "show me the miles"/"without miles to prove it it means nothing".  Now a guy talks about his mileage and he gets snapped by a suspender.  What the hell do you guys want from someone trying to tell their experience with a product??  Kirby has told you all he can and he's had good luck so far.  Lets say you Two Checks about your miles with filters on ONE bike?  It's not the end-all, but give the guy a break for giving his mileage which seems pretty impressive with any bike.  I'm not sold and wouldn't use a filter like this, but I won't sit here and fry the dude about giving info that seems to be the holy grail of justification around these parts... miles. 

Kev? I tried, very hard, with illustrations, to explain what particulate damage will do to a plain bearing. The risk of particulate damage is greatly increased if inadequate or borderline filtration options are taken. If Bob is happy with his set-up I'm overjoyed for him and wish him many hundreds of thousands of miles of happy motoring.

BUT!

I will not resile from my position that these devices are a pathetic and potentially damaging joke that are spruiked by fools and charlatans with an easy eye for the main chance and less than zero concern about their customers' well being and satisfaction.

YOMV, that's fine, but I will continue to savagely take the piss out of stuff like this that I see as potentially damaging because I don't want other people getting sucked in! It's not like I have some sort of vested interest. There's nothing in it for me! I just don't like people being played for suckers.

Pete

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2015, 03:13:42 PM »
Anecdotal evidence does not prove causality.   

This, as stated above, is spot on.  If the OP really wants some baseline knowledge sending oil to Blackstone every change will go a long way toward answering the "wear" question on the internals.  Not all of them but a fair amount.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2015, 03:26:02 PM »
Kev? I tried, very hard, with illustrations, to explain what particulate damage will do to a plain bearing. The risk of particulate damage is greatly increased if inadequate or borderline filtration options are taken. If Bob is happy with his set-up I'm overjoyed for him and wish him many hundreds of thousands of miles of happy motoring.

BUT!

I will not resile from my position that these devices are a pathetic and potentially damaging joke that are spruiked by fools and charlatans with an easy eye for the main chance and less than zero concern about their customers' well being and satisfaction.

YOMV, that's fine, but I will continue to savagely take the piss out of stuff like this that I see as potentially damaging because I don't want other people getting sucked in! It's not like I have some sort of vested interest. There's nothing in it for me! I just don't like people being played for suckers.

Pete

Pete,
     I think your position is great. backed by good facts and educational.  I certainly appreciate that as I love to learn and I think that's what the OP wanted.  I see others putting words in others' mouths then say something in response that's less than kind.  Flame the product, but no need to flame folks.

You sought "Opinions".   You got opinions.   I don't think that anyone on this list, or any other, has a PhD in Oil Filter Performance ....

I don't think you got the opinions that supported the position that you'd like to take.   No problem; if you keep asking everywhere, you'll eventually find some opinions that coincide with yours ...

Lannis

Different opinions are appreciated that is how we learn,  I just would like to hear from someone who it well versed on the subject that is why I asked the question.
  Thanks for your reply.
Bob 

« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 04:05:37 PM by kevdog3019 »
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Bonafide Bob

• Gosling
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2015, 04:05:13 PM »
Pete,
     I see others putting words in others' mouths then say something in response that's less than kind.  Flame the product, but no need to flame folks.      

I like to conduct myself of these boards like I'm sitting in my garage with a folks discussing something and try not to say anything on this computer I wouldn't say to them if they were sitting next to me.
 Bob

We have freedom of speech, as long as we don't say to much.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2015, 04:13:22 PM »
I like to conduct myself of these boards like I'm sitting in my garage with a folks discussing something and try not to say anything on this computer I wouldn't say to them if they were sitting next to me.
 Bob

I agree, Bob..I try to do the same. Denizens here consider WG as a virtual campfire, though.  ;D Conversations ebb and flow. Sometimes, they even stay on topic.  ;)
Squirrel!
What were we talking about??  ;D

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2015, 04:14:21 PM »
 Bob

Bob,
     You are a gentleman!  ;-T
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Bonafide Bob

• Gosling
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2015, 04:45:34 PM »
I agree, Bob..I try to do the same. Denizens here consider WG as a virtual campfire, though.  ;D Conversations ebb and flow. Sometimes, they even stay on topic.  ;)
Squirrel!
What were we talking about??  ;D
Bob,
     You are a gentleman!  ;-T

Thanks, but please note I said try. <LOL>

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2015, 06:41:22 PM »

I mentioned the mileage to illustrate the fact that it has done little or no harm using a SS cleanable filter. This type of filter is used to clean drinking water on ships so can't be all bad. 

Kirb, better stick to airplanes ... because if "has done little or no harm" and "can't be all bad" is your idea of positive feedback, you're not going to last long writing ad copy for consumer products companies!!   :D   ;-T

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2015, 06:49:28 PM »
Kirb, better stick to airplanes ... because if "has done little or no harm" and "can't be all bad" is your idea of positive feedback, you're not going to last long writing ad copy for consumer products companies!!   :D   ;-T

Lannis

Meh, he just drives em.  ~; Most airline pilots I know have to be watched if they have a screwdriver in their hand..  ;D :BEER:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline papatom

• New Egg
« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2015, 09:57:30 PM »
Do you still have to put a hose clamp on  one?  Just askin.

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2015, 04:31:41 AM »
Do you still have to put a hose clamp on  one?  Just askin.
Now that is funny. Glad I hadn't just drank a gulp of coffee when I read it!
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2015, 04:40:12 AM »
As far as the cleaning of wire mesh filters, I and the civilized world used ultrasonic cleaners for that. Pratt& Whitney found that it broke the mesh apart so now specifies an electro sonic cleaner. Who knows how long it took in the ultrasonic to hurt anything but to do it correctly use an electro sonic
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Bonafide Bob

• Gosling
« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2015, 09:18:16 AM »
I found this link interesting reading.

http://www.gwrra-ohh2.org/pdf/oilfilter.pdf

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2015, 01:46:52 PM »
My Loop doesn't even have an oil filter :BEER:
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2015, 03:19:09 PM »
My Loop doesn't even have an oil filter :BEER:

Mine has a screen mesh filter! YEARS ahead of it's time, that Guzzi. ;-T
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2015, 03:53:42 PM »
Air cooled VW beetles were not delivered with an oil filter either.

Offline Bonafide Bob

• Gosling
« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2015, 04:49:43 PM »
I bought a new Triumph Bonneville in 1961 and it didn't have air or oil filters.

Bob

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2015, 07:06:53 PM »
I bought a new Triumph Bonneville in 1961 and it didn't have air or oil filters.

Bob
The air was cleaner then....... ;D
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

redrider

« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2015, 08:46:43 PM »
My Commando 850 has a filter but the 750's did not <shrug>

I do not use the Guzzi recommendation of changing the filter every other oil change. New oil=new filter. The Mille has over 150K with an outsider. YMMV.

oldbike54

« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2015, 09:46:12 PM »
Meh, he just drives em.  ~; Most airline pilots I know have to be watched if they have a screwdriver in their hand..  ;D :BEER:

Except he ain't an airline pilot , and has a degree in mechanical engineering , just sayin  ;)

Dusty

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here