Author Topic: Auto advance/points cam info needed  (Read 2278 times)

Offline tobydmv

• New Egg
Auto advance/points cam info needed
« on: May 15, 2015, 12:33:35 PM »
1989 Mille Gt

Guys I can’t seem to find a parts diagram for the distributor.  Can anyone help?  I recently switch backed to points after the dynatek stopped firing on one side.  When I pulled the dynatek trigger off the cam, the cam came off the advance.  Looks like one spring popped loose and one fly weight stayed on the cam.  So  I had to pull the fly weights off and assemble it all back together and slide it back onto the poles.  Then later in assembling the points plate, the advance unit moved independent from the motor.  So I’m wondering what secures or times the points cam to its shaft?  Is it just the poles on the base plate?  The screw right on top just seems to keep it snug on the shaft.   After assembly and static timing the bike fired right up and ran great.  Looking forward to getting back on the road.

Thanks,
Toby

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Re: Auto advance/points cam info needed
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 12:50:04 PM »
I'm not really understanding the problem from your narrative.

The advance plate is supposed to move independent of the engine.  That's what it does.  If it binds up you have no advance.

Offline tobydmv

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 01:52:13 PM »
I'm not really understanding the problem from your narrative.

The advance plate is supposed to move independent of the engine.  That's what it does.  If it binds up you have no advance.

Let me try this a diff way, I removed the dynatek sensor plate and rotor.  During the points install I think the timing between advance and motor may have slipped.  Could the advance assembly lose timing with its shaft?  In this scenario your D side piston is at the proper timing mark but the points cam isnt.  On other bikes, the advance unit sits on a woodruff key in a slot.  Sometimes fat fingers knock the key out during assembly and the timing between advance and the motor is lost.  Does that help?  Pictures would go a long way but the parts diagram I found only shows the entire distributor.  The bike runs now, I was just concerned that something may have slipped between the advance and distributor.

Looking at this for help,
http://www.vdcon.nl/files/pdf/pdffile792099_355967.pdf
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 02:06:12 PM by tobydmv »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 02:04:30 PM »
I'm sorry -- I don't have a mille or its book, and although I'm trying to help, I'm having a logical disconnect here.  Is this a traditional distributor located behind the right pot, or is it up on the nose of the crank or cam shaft?

How far off is the dizzy cam from engine position?  What happens if you turn the engine one full revolution and recheck it (wrong tdc check)?

Hoping someone with better familiarity drops by .  . . .

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 02:04:30 PM »

Offline tobydmv

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 02:13:01 PM »
I'm sorry -- I don't have a mille or its book, and although I'm trying to help, I'm having a logical disconnect here.  Is this a traditional distributor located behind the right pot, or is it up on the nose of the crank or cam shaft?

How far off is the dizzy cam from engine position?  What happens if you turn the engine one full revolution and recheck it (wrong tdc check)?

Hoping someone with better familiarity drops by .  . . .

Mille has trad distro behind the D/right pot.  Upon reading that link above, it appears the advance unit has the 2 poles that are "keyed" into the base plate by 2 holes.  Not sure if the baseplate is keyed onto the shaft but it appears to only fit 2 ways.  If its upside down your opening the S points instead of the D set.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 02:45:37 PM »
I'm sorry -- I'm just not understanding the problem.  I'm sitting here with a distributor in front of me and still can't understand it.  . . .

It might be the terms you're using to describe the parts.  If you could post some pics it could help visualize the problem.  I'm hoping someone reading this 'gets it' and can pick up the discussion.

Offline acogoff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 03:18:03 PM »
     If it runs, can't be much wrong if anything? A timing light shined through the timing mark hole towards the flywheel will tell you what is happening.
'77850t3FB Owned since it was new
Marshall County Minnesota USA

Offline tobydmv

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 02:18:56 PM »
I'm sorry -- I'm just not understanding the problem.  I'm sitting here with a distributor in front of me and still can't understand it.  . . .

It might be the terms you're using to describe the parts.  If you could post some pics it could help visualize the problem.  I'm hoping someone reading this 'gets it' and can pick up the discussion.

Sorry man I usually write these up at work from the previous nights wrench session. The problem was I sheared the roll pin holding the distributor shaft gear in place.  It seemed like it was ok and even ran but wouldnt stay timed.  So I pulled the dizzy, noticed the driven gear would spin on the shaft while holding the advance,  and replaced the pin.  Put it back together, timed it,  and went for a ride today.  The cause?  Me, but in particular the condenser holding screw was a bit too long and hit the advance base plate which sheared the roll pin and lost the timing.  I know right?  Oh well now I know the distributor inside out.  I also noticed the previous owner never bothered to secure the distributor C clamp mechanism.  They just tightened down the bolts..... ???  Fixed.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 02:22:36 PM by tobydmv »

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here