Author Topic: Bikes to grow old with  (Read 7378 times)

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
  • Location: South London - home of the world's best football team.
Bikes to grow old with
« on: March 07, 2016, 05:50:27 PM »
I can't remember how many bikes I've had over the years. I started with BSAs - a B25SS and then an A65 Thunderbolt. There have been Hondas - a CB250G5 (possibly the worst bike I ever had) and a VT500, and a whole series of CX500s. There were Yamahas including a lovely FJ1100 with a weak second gear. Kawasakis, including a lunatic disk valve KH125,and Suzukis including a ram air GT250, a Bandit and an SV650. There were two MZs. There were Nortons - a ghastly Jubilee and a lovely 16H, BMWs, including a lovely R80ST, a  HD 1200 Sportster, Triumphs ancient and modern including a T100A and two Speed Triples (955i and 1050), a Royal Enfield, and a couple of Aprilias, and two Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sports. And of course there were the Moto Guzzis. And there were others I've forgotten, including some (Yamaha XS750 triple) that I'd rather forget.

But there was only one bike that I just imagined that I'd always have and that I'd grow old with. These special bikes aren't always the best or the most practical bikes. But they click with you in a special and magical way. And that bike for me started life as Moto Guzzi Le Mans III. By the time I bought it, it had been raced in Italy, had a 950 (I think) high compression big bore kit, extended sump, gear timing conversion, and 40mm DelOrto pumpers with K&Ns and matt black Lafranconi pipes. I had it for over 10 years, and went everywhere on it. I used it as a London despatch rider, took it over the Alps, and to Sardinia and North Africa. I rode it in Naples, in Alexandria and in Cairo. I carried a rubber mallet on a chain to hit the starter motor, and it had a  habit of back firing and blowing the carbs off their rubbers. And it sounded like world war 3.

I loved that bike in a visceral unconditional way.

And its end came totally unexpectedly in a stupid mundane moment. Riding to work down the inside of the traffic in the bus lane. Probably too fast. And a tired driver didn't look and pulled across my path. Luckily I was thrown right over the car, nearly emasculating myself on the mirrors, and suffered only a broken wrist. But the LeMans was toast. The front wheel smashed through the timing case, and one of the fork legs snapped. The rescued engine went on to power a three wheeler, but it was the end for my LeMans. It was like a bereavement.

So - have you had any bikes that you wanted to grow old with?

Offline nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
Re: Bikes to grow old with
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 06:17:12 PM »
Very nicely said  :thumb:  Some machines are more than just machines for us - my Eldo, for instance.

Nick

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 06:31:44 PM »
Nice tale.  Glad you emerged from the launching intact.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 06:36:38 PM »
I've grown into middle age with my 1966 Triumph Bonneville.
Bought used on my 18th birthday, I'll be 54 this year.
As for the Harley Sprint bought as a teenager?
still have it also!
Hope to grow old with my new Rosso Griso!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 06:39:26 PM by tazio »
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 06:36:38 PM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 06:40:36 PM »
Yeah, the Mighty Scura. It's saved my ass twice on the PCH. A less powerful or brakeable  scooter would have put me in the hospital.. or morgue.  :shocked: The Kid gets it..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 06:55:22 PM »
I'll be growing old(er) with the '69 Ambassador. I don't care if I have to live in a cardboard box and eat cat food, I will always own it.
Charlie

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 06:59:36 PM »
They make some pretty good cat foods these days, and a big enough cardboard box can house the bike as well.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Demar

• Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 07:11:53 PM »
They make some pretty good cat foods these days, and a big enough cardboard box can house the bike as well.

That's true. As a younger man I remember being on the verge of barfing when feeding the cats their wet food. Today, the Fancy Feast looks almost edible.
I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 07:18:01 PM »
I hear ya. I started with the 2 strokes, went thru the typical Japanese lines topping off with a big 1100 Suzuki, then got into Guzzis with a V65 and a Call II. I still have other bikes around, still spend some time on a GS Suzuki. Like the Viragos for a number of reasons. If I ever get back down to one bike, it'll be the Call II.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 07:19:05 PM »
it seems I have been growing old with all three of my bikes.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

HardAspie

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 07:22:43 PM »
So many tasty bikes. So many I have never ridden. Of the ones that I have owned I think there are but two that I would accept back as gifts. One would be my 1980 CB 750F. Plenty fast enough for me, smooth, excellent handling, good saddle; great bike for a hour or for several days. The other would be my CB 350G, the final year of the classic twin 350. Great bike, reliable as hell, playful and gentle and loyal like a good dog. Far less capable than the seven and a half but so lovable, and its weight and cost of operation would better fit my life.

From afar I look at the approximately 400 lb Moto Guzzi V 50 III with dreamy eyes and knowing that Geese seem to be in my future only if very strange things happen. There are other models of course, and a few bikes of the 1970 - 1985 era to be dreamed of. But. . .

If things go well what I plan to grow old with will be a 266 lb wet little 150. Could be soon now. And assuming that it meets my small expectations of speed and high expectations of reliability know what? Hell, it's a bike! I can be happy growing old with one.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 07:27:10 PM »
I have had so many wonderful days on the CX100 can't see myself ever selling it
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline keener

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 08:34:37 PM »
 Forty two years ago i was nineteen and i managed to get the money together to purchase a new 1974 Kawasaki Z1 .
I will never forget the day and the feeling of riding it home , many adventures followed tours across Canada the Western United States  all over British Columbia and back to Ontario thousands of miles on a motorcycle that has never let me down , i have had many motorcycles over the years and loved most of them , but the Z1 became my friend as well.
I still ride it today and it always makes me smile ..it will be the last bike i will ever own and it is the bike i have grown old with.

Keener
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 10:21:07 PM by keener »
smile and tremble
1974 Z1 Kawasaki since new
1998 Suzuki 1200 Bandit
2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000s
2007 Guzzi 1100 Griso
2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2016, 10:18:19 PM »
I'll be growing old(er) with the '69 Ambassador. I don't care if I have to live in a cardboard box and eat cat food, I will always own it.

I'm thinking the same except that it's a '72 Eldo police that I rescued from a boat yard for the high price of 2 Lite beers. Alot of work to make it good. After 35 years of riding it, won't give it up!!

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline brenwin

• Easy does it .
  • Gosling
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2016, 11:59:51 PM »
Great read , glad you came out of the cave to write it .

I've owned quite a few bikes over the years but must admit I haven't found "the one " yet but it will surely be a Guzzi .

I identify with your experience with the Norton . I finally parted with a 74 Commando last year and that bike just wouldn't stop taking me to the cleaners . It was a divorce joyfully celebrated !

I have been lusting after a V11 for a few years now and finally bought a beauty which I pick up next month . I'm thinking it could be the one .

One fact remains though , I love Guzzis and have never had this much fun in the motorcycle world since owning them .

Cheers, Steve 
2015 Griso 1200SE
2004 V11 Ballabio (red)
1973 Eldorado

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2016, 12:22:52 AM »
Apparently not. I've owned dozens of bikes since the early 70s. Most every description. All sold, but the current 3 in my keep. The new bikes barely interest me and the old ones need constant  twiddling. I'm getting to where I can take it or leave it. The only riding I crave is the occasional dash on the sidecar rig, or some back roads in the cool hills of the Appalachians. I just ain't ate up with it anymore...  :weiner:
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2016, 01:28:59 AM »
I have had the Breva now for twelve years. Can't see me ever selling it so I guess I will grow old with it. :thumb:

Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2016, 02:13:20 AM »
I've had the T since 1984, have nursed it back to life twice (going on thrice) and can't imagine selling it.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

BigDave in PA

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2016, 06:03:56 AM »
And if need be I'll join you as long as there's room for my Eldo.

Offline RayB

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2016, 07:19:14 AM »
I continue to be old no matter what bike I own. Since BMWs are old man bikes it'll probably be with me the longest.
01 EV
82 BMW R100

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2016, 07:36:59 AM »
I have my 85 BMW R80
Bought it new
It keeps the 79 triumph company; also bought new.
Both are keepers

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2016, 07:53:26 AM »
Since I never sell anything, I'll probably grow old with all of my motorcycles.  My H2 has the most memories though, having bought it in 1978, so I can't imagine parting with that one no matter what happens.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2016, 08:36:58 AM »
And if need be I'll join you as long as there's room for my Eldo.

Think I'll need a bigger box.  :laugh:
Charlie

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2016, 08:40:15 AM »
I already have my "wind up" bikes.  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2016, 08:43:21 AM »
This is the bike I'll gladly grow old with...

I may grow old but, I'll never grow up!
Joe Walano

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2016, 08:45:25 AM »
I probably regret selling all of my motorcycles but it's just not practical to keep collecting them.  My brother does that and he's ended up with a bunch of non-running "projects" that will never be ridden.  One day I'm going to break in to his storage shed and pull out that '75 750 GT and get it restored though!

Kim has pretty much knocked me down to a two bike maximum and that's why the DR350 had to go last weekend.  Great bike and I had it setup perfectly but I wanted the Griso more.  She's the difference between me and my hoarding brother I guess.

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline M0T0Geezer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • The Ones I Rode
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2016, 09:30:51 AM »
First of all, at 76 I am old.  None of this syrupy 'bike to grow old with' romantic mush for me!

My '04 Breva 750 (42,500 miles) is my ride for ever on, until it or me just can't do it anymore. 

This baby goose is my all-time favorite.  It has sprightly performance and forgiving handling plus John Deere running and reliability.  Warms the soul and looks cool too.

#2 and #3 favorites were my '03 Honda ST1100 and an '07 Yamaha Majesty (400cc) scooter.  Both were eager to run and lovable to ride.

A notable UN-favorite was the bought-new '05 Honda GL1800 that I rode for 16,000 miles.  Perfect in every way, but it didn't need me.  It never engaged with my heart - I don't think it ever even wanted to.

'Geezer
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 USA

My 65+ years of motorcycling here:

http://www.dansher.com/mywheels.htm

Wisdom from the road:

http://www.dansher.com/bikequotes.html

Play guitar or keyboard?  You will like:

http://www.dansher.com/audio/pdf_tunes.html

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2016, 10:25:30 AM »
It never engaged with my heart - I don't think it ever even wanted to.

:smiley: :smiley: I completely understand. I feel that way about Beemers, although I understand some sick individuals like Dusty like them for whatever reason.  :evil: :smiley: :boozing:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline triman023

• New Egg
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2016, 11:16:37 AM »
Had my 69 Triumph since before I got married, 30 years now (27 for the marriage). I have so far fixed, bodged and restored almost everything but the bottom end. Willing it to my son. The 13 Griso is so far a keeper, it appears to have been built when Luigi was on vacation and Hans was visiting from Germany, everything works great! Both bikes are a great pleasure to ride for different reasons. About the Bonny, as the years go by it gets better and better! :clock:

Skarsaune

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2016, 11:31:54 AM »
Apparently not. I've owned dozens of bikes since the early 70s. Most every description. All sold, but the current 3 in my keep. The new bikes barely interest me and the old ones need constant  twiddling. I'm getting to where I can take it or leave it. The only riding I crave is the occasional dash on the sidecar rig, or some back roads in the cool hills of the Appalachians. I just ain't ate up with it anymore...  :weiner:

I'm with you, but after I sold the race bikes, I had to have something to ride here in the hills of the Appalachians, so my daily ride is a KLR650. Carbureted and stone-ax simple yet modern enough to start and go every time, everywhere.  Still have my '67 TriBSA I built, and one of my old choppers in pieces.  And now a '98 EV11 for the misses and I.

Still ate up, I guess. 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here