Author Topic: Front discs - what mileage did you get?  (Read 1984 times)

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
  • Location: South London - home of the world's best football team.
Front discs - what mileage did you get?
« on: October 23, 2016, 03:23:14 PM »
I've finally changed the discs on the Griso. After about 40k mostly enthusiastic urban miles, which calls for a lot of acceleration and braking, they needed it.

Both discs had severe lips, and the wear on the bobbins was very bad on the left disc, and not much better on the right. The bike made a loud clattering sound when going over bumps as the rotors rattled around. The play on the right disc must've been over 1/8 of an inch rotating fore and aft.

I was lucky enough to find a pair of barely used OEM discs from one of the local Guzzisti, for a very reasonable price. Only issue is the brake is now feeling spongey - but I'm guessing it'll be better when the pads bed in.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 04:54:43 PM by Trogladyte »

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Front discs - what mileage did you get?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 03:39:26 PM »
I got about 85-90,000 miles on the front disks on my Norge - more weight being stopped, but likely less 'enthusiastically' than your Griso. Also, likely many more highway miles, given my IronButt riding. The rotors themselves still had some life, but the floater buttons were worn and rattling, allowing too much play in the movement of the rotor. I never experienced the warping some owners have reported.

I used EBC rotors (about half the cost of the factory ones, and I think a bit better) - https://www.amazon.com/EBC-Brakes-VR624BLK-Black-Vee-Rotors/dp/B00CQ80HRU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477255051&sr=8-1&keywords=EBC-Brakes-VR624BLK-Black-Vee-Rotors. The Amazon page claims they don't fit the bike, but the EBC catalog and my installation say different.

I have used EBC HH series pads on all my bikes for years; I've occasionally tried Galfers and some others, but I keep coming back to the EBCs.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline old head

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 03:50:28 PM »
I am 47k on the Breva original front discs.  I have new ready to put on, I still have life left.

Rears I changed about 20k, but they are about ready also.  probably do both at the same time

Old Head
06 Breva 1100
Hepco-Becker crash bars
Givi A620 screen
Garmin GPS

Offline ejs

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 04:38:35 PM »
 :Beating_A_Dead_Hors e_by_liviu
Bought the Cali EV, had gone 73000 km, left disc was 3,6 and right disc was 3,4 mm thick. Bought new china made discs.
California EV 1999

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 04:38:35 PM »

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 05:34:26 PM »
I'm not too hard on my brakes on the 1200 Sport.  I changed out the stock pads at 1630 miles because of reports at the time of rotor warpage (or pad material buildup on the rotors) which caused brake pulsation.  I installed EBC FA244HH pads at the time.

At nearly 63,000 miles, still on the original rotors.  No vibrations when brakes are applied.  I replaced the worn pads with another set of EBC pads.

Bob
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 05:36:01 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 04:14:32 PM »
So it seems I am well ahead of the game having comnprehensively worn out a pair of discs in a mere 40,000 miles.

Should I be disappointed with the performance of the disks? I'm inclined to think that they were reasonable given the fact that my riding is mostly urban, which involves a fair bit of point and squirt, followed by hard braking

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 04:51:22 PM »
So it seems I am well ahead of the game having comnprehensively worn out a pair of discs in a mere 40,000 miles.

Should I be disappointed with the performance of the disks? I'm inclined to think that they were reasonable given the fact that my riding is mostly urban, which involves a fair bit of point and squirt, followed by hard braking

You're in the right range - though at the lower end, due to urban riding, lots of start and stop, and the fact it is a fairly heavy sporting bike. I wouldn't be upset with what you got, but I'd expect more if I rode more highway miles.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 05:32:32 PM »
I use them until you can see light through them.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 05:49:08 PM »
It was the floating bobbins that finally convinced me that mine were done. If it weren't for that, I'd have got a bit more out of the rotors. Although they had pronounced lips, there was still some meat there.

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 07:32:37 PM »
I'm like you in that respect.  If they stop without brake vibration, I'll soldier on with the OEM rotors.  I'm just not that rough on brakes, I guess.
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 01:42:44 PM »
When I bought the Bassa at 42K, one disc, the left one actuated by the foot brake, would cause pulse diving if actively applied. But the bike had been down on that side before, so all bets are off.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 05:39:22 PM »
It was the floating bobbins that finally convinced me that mine were done. If it weren't for that, I'd have got a bit more out of the rotors. Although they had pronounced lips, there was still some meat there.

Yeah that's what got me too because there always was the specter of hammering the brakes and breaking a disk.  44,000 miles with lots of canyon runs.  Clutch had to be replaced at 30,000 miles.

Mark
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 06:30:53 PM »
Yeah that's what got me too because there always was the specter of hammering the brakes and breaking a disk.  44,000 miles with lots of canyon runs.  Clutch had to be replaced at 30,000 miles.

Mark
Yeah - I replaced the clutch at about 35k miles. It was down to the rivets - there's a thread with photos somewhere.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here