Author Topic: Keeping your hands warm in winter  (Read 6445 times)

Offline Furbo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Keeping your hands warm in winter
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2016, 12:49:35 PM »
Vetter Hippo hands---they worked for Craig in a snow storm.

ABSOLUTELY! Ugly as sin and phenominally effective.
Killeen, TX
'96 Sport 1100
'72 N. Falcone
'72 Eldo

Eccl 9:9,10

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2016, 12:55:58 PM »
As an orthotist I have made many designs of functional hand splints for various pathologies.
Lacking a long flexor tendon for a motorcyclist causes obvious problems. But there are a couple of solutions that are available. Sorry you live so far away as I could possibly help. But a small light weight low profile custom splint could be made to prevent hyperextension of the IP joint on the thumb. Preventing hyperextension of the IP joint would stabilize the joint allowing you to use distal thumb by using the muscle  "opponens pollicis". The opponens pollicis "flexes or adducts" (depending on terminology) the MCP joint. That muscle basically putting you thumb in "opposition" to the fingers and also moves the thumb across the palm. The MCP joint is the larger joint at the base of the thumb. So stabilizing the IP joint and then use the opponens pollicis to push on whole thumb is an option. You might look around for a good orthotist or occupational therapist who could make something to stabilize your IP joint. I made a lot of these for folks with rheumatoid arthritis who loose  function due to the ligamentous failure of some joints in the fingers.
I hope this makes sense but I think you get the idea that if your IP joint was stable your distal phalange would be far more functional.

Now, if you could just make an effective orthotic to treat/compensate for my regular brain cramps....
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

Offline Craig in Alabama

• Hatchling
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2016, 02:40:00 PM »
I put Oxford heated grips on my commuter bike (Buell Uly) and made a pair of faux hippo hands for really cold weather. With the Rhino Mitts (as I call them) I was good down into the 20s, and I have terrible circulation in my hands.
They were really easy to make. I used some vinyl I had laying around. Cut it to the right shape and sewed in an old towel for insulation. I used snaps from Hobby Lobby to snap them up on the inside section. I'm a reasonably decent "sewer" as long as no one is being picky, but all the seams are on the inside, so they turned out pretty nice. Total cost of the mitts was less than $10 and about 4 hours of my time. Best cold weather accessory I've ever had. With the heated grips on and the mitts, I could still wear my summer gloves and be toasty warm.

Cheers!
Craig
22 V85TT Travel
98 V11EV
05 Suzuki DL-650

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2016, 02:47:48 PM »
I'm curious what model Acerbis you're using?  I may have to give them a try.  Thanks!

Mine are the ones that mount only in the bar ends, and nowhere else.  It was the only type I found that is universal enough to fit my Mille.

Uniko ATV Handguard, shown here: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/962/16455/Acerbis-Uniko-ATV-Handguards

You can probably find them cheaper, this is just the first place I found that had them.  I have no idea why they think they had to make a fancy shape with small slots, but it doesn't seem to hurt the way they work to keep the air off my hands.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2016, 02:47:48 PM »

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2016, 02:58:51 PM »
Thanks for all the ideas.

I might try heated gloves. But they sound like they have drawbacks. I don't like the idea of battery powered. And wiring up the sleeves for a half hour ride. I don't know. I'd do it for a longer ride, but...

But I might try them all the same. My current muffs and grips solution is extremely effective. But the muffs are just a bit awkward and ugly.

I had a 30min commute and used wired heated gloves.  I left the 'Y' wire in my jacket between the liner and the outer.  Stayed that way all winter.  If cold enough I plugged them in, if not I didn't.  Extra 30sec at beginning or end of ride to mate the three plugs (one for each glove and one to the bike.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2016, 03:17:41 PM »
Look up TUSK HAND MITTS. They look like small"Hippo Hands" for $15.
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2016, 04:01:59 PM »
 The only hippos with hands that I have seen were waddling up and down Walmart aisles.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2016, 05:01:16 PM »
Say, you are an Iconoclast.  I think I used that before. :grin:

To the PO.  You could make some faux hand guards with liter or quart plastic bottles.  Paint them the color you want. Custom cut and tape to your handlebars.  Not my idea.  It was on another thread some years back.  Cheap solution for the forum.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline lti_57

• Directly above the center of the Earth
  • Gosling
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2016, 05:42:08 PM »
i will carry some surgical gloves to put on and then my winter gloves
for me it works wonders and cheap
2007 Guzzi Griso
1992 BMW K75

Offline Gino

• Hatchling
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2016, 05:53:33 PM »
Handlebar muff's are the answer, a PITA Normally but fitted over handguards bark busters et al are the business. Rode from Scotland to the Austrian / German border last year in Germany last January and hardly put the heated grips on once

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
  • Location: South London - home of the world's best football team.
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2016, 04:55:26 PM »
As an orthotist I have made many designs of functional hand splints for various pathologies.
Lacking a long flexor tendon for a motorcyclist causes obvious problems. But there are a couple of solutions that are available. Sorry you live so far away as I could possibly help. But a small light weight low profile custom splint could be made to prevent hyperextension of the IP joint on the thumb. Preventing hyperextension of the IP joint would stabilize the joint allowing you to use distal thumb by using the muscle  "opponens pollicis". The opponens pollicis "flexes or adducts" (depending on terminology) the MCP joint. That muscle basically putting you thumb in "opposition" to the fingers and also moves the thumb across the palm. The MCP joint is the larger joint at the base of the thumb. So stabilizing the IP joint and then use the opponens pollicis to push on whole thumb is an option. You might look around for a good orthotist or occupational therapist who could make something to stabilize your IP joint. I made a lot of these for folks with rheumatoid arthritis who loose  function due to the ligamentous failure of some joints in the fingers.
I hope this makes sense but I think you get the idea that if your IP joint was stable your distal phalange would be far more functional.
Yeah thanks. I think that does make sense. I'll look into that - sounds interesting. My surgeon did offer to surgically fuse the top joint at about 45 degrees. I think this would have a similar effect, but for some reason I didn't like the idea. I'd already had a lot of failed surgery thereabouts that had left the thumb so full of scar tissue, it was never going to be worth having another shot at it. So maybe I'd just had enough of that.

And a life of biking has not been kind to my thumbs. The other one had synthetic ligaments installed to stabilise the second joint down. Not that effective I'm afraid.

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2016, 07:40:03 PM »
Yeah thanks. I think that does make sense. I'll look into that - sounds interesting. My surgeon did offer to surgically fuse the top joint at about 45 degrees. I think this would have a similar effect, but for some reason I didn't like the idea. I'd already had a lot of failed surgery thereabouts that had left the thumb so full of scar tissue, it was never going to be worth having another shot at it. So maybe I'd just had enough of that.

And a life of biking has not been kind to my thumbs. The other one had synthetic ligaments installed to stabilise the second joint down. Not that effective I'm afraid.

45 degrees is way too much if you were going for a fusion. 25 degrees would be far more functional.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
  • Location: South London - home of the world's best football team.
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2016, 04:10:32 PM »
45 degrees is way too much if you were going for a fusion. 25 degrees would be far more functional.
I was only guessing on the 45 degrees. Yes 25 sounds about right. I'd hope the surgeons here might have thought about what angle gives best functionality before sharpening their tools!  :bow: But then, who knows?  :wink:

Offline gscott

• Hatchling
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2017, 01:58:57 PM »
Heated gloves.  Warm and Safe brand is what I have. First Gear are rebranded W&S.  I have jacket liner, socks and use their remote controller.  Only one wire to bike. Once rode 2 hours at 13 degrees F. Nice and toasty. When one glove came unplugged I knew it right away. Recommended.
2007 Norge - silver
2000 Quota - black
2000 V11 Sport - green
2000 V11 Bassa - pearl white (the one I sold)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here