Author Topic: Musical tastes  (Read 6670 times)

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
  • Location: South London - home of the world's best football team.
Musical tastes
« on: March 31, 2017, 03:04:25 PM »
I see a few threads about music on here, mostly about classic rock of one sort or another.

But is anyone into interesting contemporary music?

I'm not a young man, and I do listen to my old favourites like Floyd, Airplane, Spirit, Gong and the Grateful Dead. But mostly these days I listen to dub reggae, hip hop, trip hop, dubstep and trance.

Anyone else listening to modern music with an edge?

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Musical tastes
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 03:06:58 PM »
I don't know about that, but by an amazing coincidence I was just out in my shop, listening to "Troglodyte" by the Jimmy Castor Bunch.

Edgy for it's day, I suppose.   "Bertha!   Bertha Butt!   She was one'a da Butt sistahs ..."

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 03:09:06 PM »
I don't know about that, but by an amazing coincidence I was just out in my shop, listening to "Troglodyte" by the Jimmy Castor Bunch.

Edgy for it's day, I suppose.   "Bertha!   Bertha Butt!   She was one'a da Butt sistahs ..."

Lannis
Wow!

My wife, AKA the Torque Wench calls me Trog. She says its because i'm a ******* Neanderthal.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 03:30:31 PM »
Wow!

My wife, AKA the Torque Wench calls me Trog. She says its because i'm a ******* Neanderthal.

Torque Wench, I like that.   I'm liable to steal it sometime when you're not looking .....
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 03:30:31 PM »

Offline RANDM

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 03:52:38 PM »
Not really - when that all started with people sampling other
People's creativity and splicing it together it didn't seem either
Original or creative and The subject matter left me cold.

Maybe it's just that about 90% of the music I played was
Original and  the whole point was to not plagiarise didn't
agree with me - still don't find any of it Musical even though
I know it's grown and changed.

I s'pose it's got it's place as a form of expression but to me
it seems to be a small place that only expresses a few things
well - mainly anger and misogyny. Guess I'm not an angry
young man any more : )

Maurie.

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 04:08:48 PM »
Mostly from bands that I've seen:

Jessica Hernandez and the Deltas

J Roddy Walston and the Business

Kongos

Fitz and the Tantrums

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 04:34:16 PM »
There have been a number of really great new acts around. Here in the New Orleans area, we have some astounding talent. One of my favorites is Sasha Masakowski. She has an entrancing voice and does an amazing cover of Bowie's "Life on Mars" in Portuguese. Clare Burson is another artist that is doing some great work. From New York, she writes and performs some superb acoustic music. She has a particularly good EP entitled "Idaho." Lets see...I like Thea Gilmore, jazz trumpet player Kermit Ruffins, and Raw Oyster Cult (formerly the Radiators...they only play special gigs these days). I love music...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 04:35:24 PM by Sheepdog »
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 04:50:09 PM »
I see a few threads about music on here, mostly about classic rock of one sort or another.

But is anyone into interesting contemporary music?

I'm not a young man, and I do listen to my old favourites like Floyd, Airplane, Spirit, Gong and the Grateful Dead. But mostly these days I listen to dub reggae, hip hop, trip hop, dubstep and trance.

Anyone else listening to modern music with an edge?

I like a bunch of modern music - but the stuff you mention is IM-not so-HO, mostly not music. 'Hip-hop' isn't - real hip-hop comes from back in the 20s, 30s and 40s, and doesn't involve the rhythmic chanting of obscenities. Dub reggae is a disservice to its origins. As a matter of fact, any 'music' that involved sampling and reprocessing of somebody else's music is not worth the time it takes to listen to it. I'll spend my time with artists that create instead of copy.

When rap became 'hip-hop' and 'urban' music, it largely lost the credibility of its early practitioners. I enjoyed good rap - from the punk-pop of Blondie's 'Rapture' to Run-DMC to NWA - but I wouldn't give two cents for 50 cent, nor for just about anyone in that field today.

That being said, there are any number of bands from the last 15 years - including many still recording - that I do enjoy. Everything from the Robert Randolph Family Band to Muse to you name it...
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 04:59:08 PM »
OK. That's interesting.

I'd suggest maybe don't write off whole genres because you've heard some you don't like. And as far as sampling goes, lets not forget that many rock bands used the fabulous old string synthesiser - the Mellotron - to great effect. That was an early form of sampling - each key played a tape loop of somebody else playing an instrument. The fact that sound is built up with samples isn't an issue for me - what's important is the passion and creativity that goes into it, and whether what you end up with is a thing of beauty or not.

And I would never try to persuade you to like something that you don't like. We all have things that we like and dislike. Although I don't think there is a genre of music that I don't like some of. But what I would say, I don't write off whole swathes of music based in a few things you don't like. Variations on the theme of hip-hop aren't all about violence and misogyny. The subject matter can be wide and uplifting.

Having said that, one of my favourite songs is the Prodigy's "Smack my Bitch Up".

Offline drums4money

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 05:37:13 PM »
While I like modern music with electronic elements, I find that I still prefer these electronic elements when they're actually incorporated into the music in the context of a band of musicians making the music.  I.e.  Radiohead.

I don't seem to enjoy music created by an IT tech, a sampler, and a looping program.

Just my $.02

Drums4money
hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing...liar

1200 Sport , Monster S2R, MV Agusta B3 800

Old School Audio:
http://oldschoolaudio.wix.com/headphones

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 05:48:54 PM »
I like it all - I can be slow to adapt, but after some exposure I modern up alright.

Old school country western or techno - turn it on, turn it up. We switch over to classical a little while before bed time.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 06:31:41 PM »
Yes to the point I put together a new Australian music show on the local community radio station which has as many as 2 or possibly three regular listeners. A massive amount of stuff going on other than the crap in the charts I even managed to talk to Cookin' on Three Burners before Kungs got to them (throw enough crap at the wall some of it will stick).

It has got to the point I don't understand what people would want to continuously listen to stuff that has been kicked to death on "classic" radio and continues to be. I even have a completely untested and un-researched theory why people think music from a past era was better. It goes pick a top ten of any week in any era, in those 10 songs one maybe memorable of possibly two the rest will be totally forgettable mediocrity and thats exactly what people do is forget about them so in retrospective the music was better.

So if you have got this far try typing to following into youtube Cookin' On Three Burners, Melbourne Ska Orchestra, Toehider, Smoke Stack Rhino, This Way North. There's buckets more but I'll keep it to that for now.

Offline RANDM

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 07:03:04 PM »
You can "suggest" what you like sport, but you asked for opinions.

Oh, and BTW a String Synthesiser is not a sampler, it's an instrument that makes Synthesised String sounds but is played by a Musician. The Fairlight was the first true Sampler/Synth = so called because it was invented in a place called "Fairlight", about 300yds from where I used to live in Manly. Stevie Wonder got the first one IIRC.

Passion and Creativity? ................... .. Hmmmmm - Let's see - A musician is someone who has put in 100's of hours
of effort to just learn the instrument, then 100's more learning how to play in a Band (a very different thing), then 100's more to get to the point where he doesn't have to do more than occasionally glance at his instrument for reference so that he can concentrate on entertaining a crowd (another very different thing). To be successful he also has to learn the Music Biz and all that involves too.

That line in "Summer of 69" about playing til his fingers bled isn't just true for learners, (when my old Bass Players finger Callouses used to split he'd burn them clean on a red hot Electric Cooktop by zipping them across the hotplate)
we all went through that shit as a matter of course.

The biggest problem for a 'sampler' is that he might get a blister on his finger from pushing the sample button.
You can call them what you want to but Musician isn't the right term - try maybe "Poet's using stolen musical backing" at least that's accurate!

Maurie.

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 08:11:38 PM »
While I like modern music with electronic elements, I find that I still prefer these electronic elements when they're actually incorporated into the music in the context of a band of musicians making the music.  I.e.  Radiohead.

I don't seem to enjoy music created by an IT tech, a sampler, and a looping program.

Just my $.02

Drums4money

Interesting you mention Radiohead this presents a conundrum for me I really like Muse won't say I'm their greatest fan but I certainly enjoy their stuff its over the top self indulgent and a bit silly, they know it their fans know it but we're all onboard with this. Radiohead I think (n.b. personal opinion only) come across that they take themselves very very seriously and I'm just not into it. Now I have never meet either so its entirely possible that the opposite is true, its the impression I get!

The other thing I enjoy is a good cover especially one that twists the original it was not considered before. Like A Version on tripple J (you can youtube it) is pretty good although not everything done is gold.

Bill Hagan

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 09:30:13 PM »

With the exception of some Big Band numbers, I don't find much music composed after c. 1915 to be worth my time.

Now ... get off my lawn!   :grin:

Bill

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2017, 09:49:45 PM »

With the exception of some Big Band numbers, I don't find much music composed after c. 1915 to be worth my time.

Now ... get off my lawn!   :grin:

Bill

Whadda ya think of that new upstart, Sousa?  :tongue:
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

twowings

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 09:54:35 PM »
Buckethead and Endless Sporadic FTW!!!

Offline BRIO

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2017, 11:02:47 PM »
John Mayor is actually a decent blues guitarist and there are lots of good new jazz artists but I must admit I've been pretty stuck my old preferences lately. Dire straits, Tom Petty, Clapton/winwood recently released some really good live albums. For classical I prefer Handel.

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2017, 01:43:09 AM »
Speaking of Cover songs. American Woman, I kinda like Lenny's version better. I've listened to Tin Pan Alley from many artists, but I think SRV got it right.

For taste, never got into the Rap thing, but never thought about Rapture as being considered Rap, just thought it was a Blondie thing. But then, many artist have Rapped in a...Umm... monologue??? Umm monotone??? kinda way. Like maybe Grinnin In You Face.

I can listen to most from blues to death metal, depending on my mood. But for most listening to relax while working at work or home, Allman Bros southern type bluesish makes me relaxed.

JMHO,
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2017, 01:59:22 AM »
Like an oil thread-only with music!!!!!  Come on, guys, laugh-that's funny.

THAT said, my 19 year old collage sophomore daughter exposed us old folks to all kinds of stuff that I've come to (mostly) enjoy.
Some of these younger kids (meaning musicians) are insanely talented.  While I may not always "get" where they are musically it's hard to deny they have talent.

The 1975 stands out among the newer stuff and Artic Monkeys both of which we saw (I say that as I drove 4 girls 5 hours each way to the concerts-many times!)

And Trombone Shorty!  Good Lord, what a performer.

Years ago when I played a lot I got tagged to play bass for David Kane on a Trip-Hop album.  It was his first project after a nice run of David Kane's Them Jazzbeards, something very different for me, and a total blast to do.  I'ss set Pandora to that musical road map and let it go from time to time.  Great way to hear all kinds of new stuff.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2017, 07:48:49 AM »
Contemporary music? You mean country gazette bill Monroe and hot ride? Sure, love the stuff.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2017, 08:46:40 AM »
Chart stuff has done nothing for me for thirty years almost. That's why happens when you start seriously playing the banjo and mucking about on the cauld wind pipes at a young age......current playlist in my car; live Stanley Brothers an the Clinch Mountain Boys, Paul Kelly, Gordon Mooney Oer The Border, the Bothy Band....
Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

oldbike54

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2017, 09:44:18 AM »
 Dave Matthews Band , although they have been around for years . The band does continue to evolve and change .

Someone mentioned the fact that in any given year there was some great music , and a tonne of horrid stuff , and that is certainly true . Pop music goes thru phases , and when music companies ruled pop music would quickly follow trends . Buffalo Springfield begat Poco , and then we got the Eagles . We should have stopped with Poco  :rolleyes:

Dusty

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2017, 10:26:53 AM »
 Lately I've been streaming Undercurrents programming from Native Voice One Radio . Very ecclectic mix, but in a good way. Something different.
    http://16113.live.streamtheworld.com/WIUMHD2.mp3
        Enjoy
      Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline Scott of the Sahara

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2017, 10:50:21 AM »
Well, I like both kinds of music: Country and Western!
As my friend always says: "music is like food, some people like Italian, and some don't."

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2017, 11:04:40 AM »
Lately?  A little Spanish Guitar.  Recycling actually because I went to classic guitar concerts in the early '70's  well maybe I'm watching now more than listening with my loss of hearing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxzM9exh7x4

and I do hear the spanish guitar
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2017, 11:28:13 AM »
Much like "contemporary" cars/trucks/motorcycles, etc., there is very little contemporary music that I like, find appealing or can even stand for more than a few seconds. Most of it just makes me want to smash whatever device it's coming from with a large hammer, or at the very least mute the sound...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 11:30:15 AM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Bill Hagan

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2017, 11:48:44 AM »
Contemporary music? You mean country gazette bill Monroe and hot ride? Sure, love the stuff.

Bill Monroe?

You coming to the Mutton Run?

We'll be in and around his hometown, Rosine, Kentucky, and other parts of his old Ohio and Daviess Counties stomping grounds.   :grin:

Bill

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2017, 03:30:01 PM »
Buckethead and Endless Sporadic FTW!!!
Love Buckethead - very talented dude. And he's collaborated with some great musicians who are on the verge of experimental. Particularly like what he did with Bill Laswell, who, if memory serves, also played with Daevid Allen (RIP) in New York Gong.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here