Author Topic: New bike in the garage. But not a Guzzi...  (Read 6349 times)

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
  • Location: South London - home of the world's best football team.
New bike in the garage. But not a Guzzi...
« on: April 27, 2017, 04:30:00 PM »
I thought no. 2 son might have got the racing bug out of his system. But it seems not. And we appear to have bought another race bike.

Its a Triumph 675 Daytona - a 2012 bike, with a supersport spec engine, making 128BHP at the wheel. It's pretty good spec altogether, with Bazazz injection management, K-tech fork internals, Showa factory rear shock, HM quick shifter, and a full Arrow titanium exhaust system.

Although I wouldn't have the kahunas to ride the thing in anger, I must confess that I am quite excited. But much a I love racing, it is not easy with your boy as the lunatic pilot of such an insane rocket ship.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: New bike in the garage. But not a Guzzi...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 06:51:34 PM »
That *would* be a scary thing all right.. all you can do is hope for the best.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline fatbob

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 08:48:44 PM »
 Well at least there's not any young girls texting on the track! 
Bob Lower

'07 Norge
'01 K1200LT
'10 Thunderbird
'88 FLHS
'79 R100T
'03 R1150RT
'07 GTS 250

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 08:51:21 AM »
Somebody recently had a video from a copter in a high speed police pursuit of a bike, and the rider was texting on the fly.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 08:51:21 AM »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 10:52:13 AM »
I thought no. 2 son might have got the racing bug out of his system. But it seems not. And we appear to have bought another race bike.

Its a Triumph 675 Daytona - a 2012 bike, with a supersport spec engine, making 128BHP at the wheel. It's pretty good spec altogether, with Bazazz injection management, K-tech fork internals, Showa factory rear shock, HM quick shifter, and a full Arrow titanium exhaust system.

Although I wouldn't have the kahunas to ride the thing in anger, I must confess that I am quite excited. But much a I love racing, it is not easy with your boy as the lunatic pilot of such an insane rocket ship.

The track's a lot safer than the street for a brisk young berkie, full of piss and vinegar and wanting to work it off, that's for sure ....

Last year my No. 2 son tried a bit of "seeking the limits of traction" on a country road, and found it, and the other side of it too, wherein lurked a bent Kawasaki, shredded jeans, and road rash where the armored jacket rode up in the asphalt slide.

Didn't hit anything and was able to walk away, with a few missing square inches of skin and meat.

Had it been on a track, lowsiding in a 70 MPH turn in full racing gear, he'd have been up and chasing the bike to restart it before it finished spinning around ....

So good luck to him, says I!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 11:01:35 AM »
The track's a lot safer than the street for a brisk young berkie, full of piss and vinegar and wanting to work it off, that's for sure ....

Last year my No. 2 son tried a bit of "seeking the limits of traction" on a country road, and found it, and the other side of it too, wherein lurked a bent Kawasaki, shredded jeans, and road rash where the armored jacket rode up in the asphalt slide.

Didn't hit anything and was able to walk away, with a few missing square inches of skin and meat.

Had it been on a track, lowsiding in a 70 MPH turn in full racing gear, he'd have been up and chasing the bike to restart it before it finished spinning around ....

Lannis

I started road racing to find those limits without killing myself on the street.  It probably helped that I knew several guys who were racing in the endurance series, one bunch on a Guzzi.

30+ years later I was still exploring those limits.
1990 MilleGT

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 01:59:32 PM »
http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/003526.html   :grin:

Kahunas, cajones, cojones.  NOT the same.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 02:19:44 PM »
http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/003526.html   :grin:

Kahunas, cajones, cojones.  NOT the same.

Finally!! Someone who gets it!!   :thumb: :thumb:
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 03:06:57 PM »
Kahuna is not a priest even though it's history of usage is for that.  In the Hawaiian language it's for someone that has knowledge and teaches it.  More of a Journeyman and an Apprentice type of usage.  A Kahuna would be someone that has a PHD as a knowledge specialty but in feudal Hawaii, it would be knowledge in a trade.  A Kahuna in fishing would teach that.  A different one would teach canoe making.  You would learn the hunting skills from a hunting Kahuna.  They would pick you to learn the skill.  Feudal remember.  Same for the warrior class.  No free will.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 06:00:54 PM »
Kahuna is not a priest even though it's history of usage is for that.  In the Hawaiian language it's for someone that has knowledge and teaches it.  More of a Journeyman and an Apprentice type of usage.  A Kahuna would be someone that has a PHD as a knowledge specialty but in feudal Hawaii, it would be knowledge in a trade.  A Kahuna in fishing would teach that.  A different one would teach canoe making.  You would learn the hunting skills from a hunting Kahuna.  They would pick you to learn the skill.  Feudal remember.  Same for the warrior class.  No free will.

Years ago we were developing a radical new process in our factory, making a product that had never been made before.   Once we proved the concept, we went into pre-production.

Our goal (we eventually made hundreds of thousands) was to produce 10 per day, and that would convince our customer that we could go into production and they'd front us the money.

Several guys on the project were  guys who had done stints in Hawaii, and they started calling the goal of 10 per day "The Big Kahuna".   We had a huge party the night we finally made it ...

But I never have figured out what "Kahuna" had to do with what we were doing ... ?

Lannis
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 08:27:33 PM by Lannis »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 07:20:44 PM »
To bring it to relevancy on the WG forum.  I would throw in the misuse of "hydro" for hydraul, as in the hydraulic valve models.  :shocked:

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 08:31:40 PM »
To bring it to relevancy on the WG forum.  I would throw in the misuse of "hydro" for hydraul, as in the hydraulic valve models.  :shocked:

I don't think that is actually a misuse.   "Hydraulics" comes from the Greek "hydor", for water, and "aulis", for pipe.   Doesn't matter if it's oil or water, pressurized liquid doing things in a pipe is "hydraulics", and "hydro" like "hydroelectric" comes from the same place ....

Lannis

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 09:27:22 PM »
Could be a stretch for liquid.  Normally used in conjunction with water however.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/hydro-
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/hydro
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydro

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
  • Location: South London - home of the world's best football team.
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2017, 04:45:22 PM »

Lannis
Yes, agreed. I have tried hard to discourage him from road riding, despite the fact that I do it. I grew up in the countryside, where there's space to make your mistakes, but we now live in the city, where its not so forgiving. But I have supported him through years of racing - he started on minimotos when he was six, and we raced solid for 11 years until we ran out of money! And after a two year break, we're about to start again....

And apologies for the kahunas thing. I only used the expression, as I have echoes of Future Days - A Magical Kahuna Dream running through my mind.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2017, 05:28:45 PM »
No apology needed.  I just wanted to clarify since I am Hawaiian and it didn't read right for me.  To be fair, if my English is off.  I'm okay if I'm corrected.

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2017, 07:00:02 AM »
Tom, I don't believe your English is off, generally speaking. You have a better mastery of it than many! :boozing:

John Henry

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2017, 03:10:24 PM »
It got pounded into us in required English classes.   :shocked:   Didn't make sense then but does now.   :grin:  Hawaiian doesn't work here.   :tongue:

elvisboy77

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2017, 03:55:00 PM »
I had a 2012 Street Triple R.  It was just too fast and not comfortable enough for me.  But boy those surprise wheelies got me wide awake on the way to work!

I can only imagine what the extra hp (mine was something like 108) would feel like!

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2017, 01:21:53 PM »
It got pounded into us in required English classes.   :shocked:   Didn't make sense then but does now.   :grin:  Hawaiian doesn't work here.   :tongue:
Very interesting podcast called "Offshore" - now in its second season which focuses on key Hawaiian themes.  This year's theme is the Mauna Loa observatory, from different social points of view.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2017, 07:22:08 PM »
The powers to be, disregarded Native Hawaiian input for the use of Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea.  Big time political problems. 

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2017, 08:27:02 PM »
The powers to be, disregarded Native Hawaiian input for the use of Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea.  Big time political problems.
So I am learning!
'04 Ducati ST4sABS

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2017, 09:26:29 PM »
The State of Hawaii government makes money off of Hawaiian lands and do not use it for Hawaiian programs.  The Hawaiian people do not have autonomy over their own land.  It would be similar to an Indian tribe's land under the control of the BLM.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2017, 09:55:33 PM »
The State of Hawaii government makes money off of Hawaiian lands and do not use it for Hawaiian programs.  The Hawaiian people do not have autonomy over their own land.  It would be similar to an Indian tribe's land under the control of the BLM.
Here's the link Tom - aloha (if you don't mind hearing it from this haole)
http://offshorepodcast.com/
'04 Ducati ST4sABS

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2017, 04:30:08 PM »
I always thought that a collection of bikes that have the name Daytona would be cool.  All different rides too.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2017, 04:47:21 PM »

Thanks Nic.  Looks like some good stuff.   :thumb:  I the only one that's taken a Moto Guzzi to the top of Mauna Kea.  :shocked:

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2017, 04:49:00 PM »
the only one that's taken a Moto Guzzi to the top of Mauna Kea.  :shocked:
Very cool - any pics to share?
'04 Ducati ST4sABS

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2017, 07:40:37 PM »
Sorry no pix.  I had enough on my mind with sucking in air.   :tongue:  Was sort of hyper-ventilating because of the lower oxygen level.  :shocked:

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2017, 02:13:29 PM »

Mahalo Nic!  I've been listening to all of it.  There is a solution but the give has to be from the scientific community.  The Hawaiians don't feel like they have any say in the management of the mountains.  There is a lot of support for the Hawaiians from the non-Hawaiian community.  More pragmatic however.  Sierra Club etc. on the pollution end.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2017, 03:51:22 PM »
Mahalo Nic!  I've been listening to all of it.  There is a solution but the give has to be from the scientific community.  The Hawaiians don't feel like they have any say in the management of the mountains.  There is a lot of support for the Hawaiians from the non-Hawaiian community.  More pragmatic however.  Sierra Club etc. on the pollution end.
You're welcome. Glad you like the podcast.  Totally new perspective for me. What a fascinating place Hawaii is
'04 Ducati ST4sABS

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2017, 02:37:21 PM »
It's kind of like living on an indian reservation in the middle of the Pacific and they discovered gold.  Everyone wants to move here.  Not finding gold and because the rush is over, they want to make changes and ignore the aboriginal population.  Don't get me wrong we welcome visitors and those that want to live here are welcome.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here