Author Topic: New bike in the garage. But not a Guzzi...  (Read 6310 times)

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
Re: New bike in the garage. But not a Guzzi...
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2017, 05:00:57 PM »
Tom, Offshore has been so interesting for me maybe because I'm an amateur astronomer and someone who in my professional life has learned to value cultural humility and competence.  The astronomers were likely fantastic folks in their own ways who couldn't comprehend the problem.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
  • Location: South London - home of the world's best football team.
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2017, 05:08:00 PM »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2017, 05:11:38 PM »
The pro astronomers can't see why everyone isn't on board with them.  I have a better than average knowledge of astronomy and the Mauna Kea telescopes than most.  There is a lack of cultural understanding.  The guys on Mauna Kea don't know how important the stars are to the Hawaiians.  No one just jumps in a canoe, cruises the ocean 2000 miles and finds an island.  Have you seen or explored the Polynesian Voyaging Society?

http://www.pbs.org/wayfinders/polynesian8.html
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 05:14:01 PM by Tom »
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2017, 08:36:54 PM »
The pro astronomers can't see why everyone isn't on board with them.  I have a better than average knowledge of astronomy and the Mauna Kea telescopes than most.  There is a lack of cultural understanding.  The guys on Mauna Kea don't know how important the stars are to the Hawaiians. No one just jumps in a canoe, cruises the ocean 2000 miles and finds an island.  Have you seen or explored the Polynesian Voyaging Society?

http://www.pbs.org/wayfinders/polynesian8.html
2000 miles by the stars.  YES!  Checking out the link now, don't know anything about the Polynesian Voyaging Society.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2017, 08:36:54 PM »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2017, 09:17:52 PM »
Last I heard was that they were getting the canoe to go through the Panama Canal.  They did an around the world float.  Using only the stars for navigation.  No modern instruments.  I have some friends that are doing the trip.  They change out crews on different segments.  Robbie the po for my Strada worked as a crew member from FL to NYC then flew home to Honolulu. 

Nearest land to Hawaii is the Marquesas about 1800 miles to the south of Hawaii.  The scientists think that the Marquesans  just jumped in a canoe and found Hawaii by mistake.  Their descendants, Hawaiians were going on long voyages by chance.  They had trained navigators that had them going long distances. They navigated by the stars, temp. of the water, wind currents and they observed flora & fauna.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2017, 10:06:41 PM »
Last I heard was that they were getting the canoe to go through the Panama Canal.  They did an around the world float.  Using only the stars for navigation.  No modern instruments.  I have some friends that are doing the trip.  They change out crews on different segments.  Robbie the po for my Strada worked as a crew member from FL to NYC then flew home to Honolulu. 

Nearest land to Hawaii is the Marquesas about 1800 miles to the south of Hawaii.  The scientists think that the Marquesans  just jumped in a canoe and found Hawaii by mistake.  Their descendants, Hawaiians were going on long voyages by chance.  They had trained navigators that had them going long distances. They navigated by the stars, temp. of the water, wind currents and they observed flora & fauna.
If it had been by chance, the success rate would have been extremely low.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2017, 10:15:00 PM »
Remove the knowledge that we have now.  Put people in the same situation living on an island.  Would you just jump in a canoe and sail north 1800 miles to another set of islands?  Had to be some knowledge and direction to do a gamble on the ocean.  Rather amazing when one considers the distances.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2017, 08:22:58 AM »
Would you just jump in a canoe and sail north 1800 miles to another set of islands? 

So I'm living on a beautiful tropical island.   The chief of the island is 70 years old and huge and fat and has 10 beautiful wives.   Obviously the wives are not all happy, being that you can't fool nature even if you're the chief, and as we are all sitting at the luau, eating baked fish and poi, the most beautiful one starts making eyes at me.

Later that night, she slips over to my hut, but just as she is leaving, her old duenna misses her and comes looking, and catches her leaving my hut.  The old woman gives a high-pitched war cry and runs toward the hut where the king's entourage is sleeping.   As I am running for the beach, I can hear the war clubs rattling as they are taken down from the rack.   

I toss a sack of coconuts in my outrigger canoe, push hard to get into the lagoon, and raise my sail to catch the morning offshore breeze.

So, yes, I would just jump in a canoe and sail north 1800 miles to another set of islands!   It would beat having a pair of bits I consider essential nailed onto the door above the king's seraglio "pour encouragez les autres" ....

Lannis
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 08:24:23 AM by Lannis »
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2017, 12:45:53 AM »
In your scenario that would make sense but not in feudal Hawaii with a king and a royal family.  They didn't have those morale restrictions.  The royalty didn't have the Protestant morality which was later place on them after the missionaries came into the kingdom.  We got the Christian Protestant religion and all the negative aspects of Western culture.  Diseases, land grabs, alcoholism, gambling, lost of natural resources and a population of people that came in to take what they could then leave. 

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2017, 08:46:50 AM »
In your scenario that would make sense but not in feudal Hawaii with a king and a royal family.  They didn't have those morale restrictions.  The royalty didn't have the Protestant morality which was later place on them after the missionaries came into the kingdom.  We got the Christian Protestant religion and all the negative aspects of Western culture.  Diseases, land grabs, alcoholism, gambling, lost of natural resources and a population of people that came in to take what they could then leave.

The consequences of tapping the boss's personal stock (regardless of what you call him) has nothing to do with Protestant morality ... that's been a crime involving a potential operation and loss of bodily parts in every culture and every age since Achilles was a pup ....  :embarrassed:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 08:48:12 AM by Lannis »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2017, 03:28:57 PM »
Sorry for the delay in an answer.  First of all, apology for the misspelling of morals.  IMHO as a historian.  American history to be exact with side trips to British, Asian and South American influences.  A caveat, I am Hawaiian and Chinese.

I agree with your observation from a Westerner's point of view.  In feudal Hawaii, definitely no mixing of the commoners with royals but not the other way around.  Among the commoners, no marriage in the Western sense.  Liasions were common but not considered illicit.  Babies were gifts, no matter where they came from.  Commoners were also mix with Westerners with no negative consequences.

Enter Western contact and the resultant changes.

Fast forward to Diseases, invasive species (pests), alcohol, loss sovereignty, loss of land, loss of identity and colonization.  Decimation of the Native Hawaiian population. 

The Protestant churches in response to the "Sodom and Gommorah" in Hawaii, sent missionaries to Hawaii.  Too much lewd behavior, drinking and jumping ship in Hawaii for the New England people to handle.  The churches were going to change that and they did. 

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2017, 05:26:26 AM »

I agree with your observation from a Westerner's point of view.  In feudal Hawaii, definitely no mixing of the commoners with royals but not the other way around. 

And that's all I was saying about why some dude might tackle an 1800 mile canoe trip ... some truths are universal, always have been.   The rest of the lecture, I've heard before ...  :tongue:

Lannis

Offline Devildog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2017, 06:26:42 AM »
I always thought that a collection of bikes that have the name Daytona would be cool.  All different rides too.
Ok, so how many bikes have been called 'Daytona'?
'93 Daytona 1000
'95 Sport 1100
'98 Ducati 900 SS Final Edition
2002 Aprilia RSV Mille R
'10 GasGas e250 FE

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
  • Location: South London - home of the world's best football team.
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2017, 06:51:28 AM »
Well lets get started.

There was the

Meriden pushrod 500 twin.
Triumph 600
Triumph 675
The Guzzi Daytona 1000

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2017, 07:25:47 AM »
Well lets get started.

There was the

Meriden pushrod 500 twin.
Triumph 600
Triumph 675
The Guzzi Daytona 1000

And the Yamaha RD/RF400 Daytona Special.

And the Harley FXDB from around 1982.   

There were Suzuki race bikes named Daytona, but they weren't regular street bikes ....

Lannis

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2017, 04:48:17 PM »
And that's all I was saying about why some dude might tackle an 1800 mile canoe trip ... some truths are universal, always have been.   The rest of the lecture, I've heard before ...  :tongue:

Lannis

An individual may have the motivation but mass migration was community effort.  Didn't know that you knew that much on Polynesia.  :tongue:

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here