Author Topic: It never rains  (Read 2059 times)

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
  • Location: South London - home of the world's best football team.
It never rains
« on: July 16, 2017, 06:53:00 AM »
It just pisses on you.

It all seems to have happened at once.

First my rear shock blows it seals. I have no rear damping. Bouncy bouncy. OK, I'd better get that off and get it rebuilt. I was just thinking about that as I was doing up my boot laces when something on my right hand went "pop!". Sadly, it was a feeling I'd had before - like when I snapped the flexor tendon on my left thumb. So, yes, it has happened again. This time, luckily, it is the extensor tendon on my right ring finger (often called "mallet finger" or "baseball finger").

Its not the end of the world, but my right ring finger is in a splint. I'm not supposed to ride (but I can actually get it into a glove, but it's less than ideal). Doing mechanics is...challenging.

So I am in a quandary. I will need to not ride to work fr a while. Which is an ideal time to change the shock. But I can't really do it.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 09:04:15 AM by oldbike54 »

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
Re: It never rains
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 08:46:22 AM »
That sucks! Heal quickly my friend!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

oldbike54

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 09:06:09 AM »
 Cricket finger ?

Dangit man , yeah , I've had the same thing , not much fun , but usually heals up in a few weeks .

Dusty

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 11:22:35 AM »
Buy beer and invite a local old time Guzzi guy over.  You'll have that shock swapped out in no time and I dare say both will be richer for the experience. I always enjoy working on someone else's bike more than my own. Less pressure and stress.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 11:22:35 AM »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 02:16:12 PM »
Darren, that's just cold.  You can BUY a lot of beer when that tendon goes -- but you can't OPEN them.  I spend half my time at rallies looking for someone to open my beer. :thewife:   :huh:   :boozing:

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 02:50:57 PM »
Darren, that's just cold.  You can BUY a lot of beer when that tendon goes -- but you can't OPEN them.  I spend half my time at rallies looking for someone to open my beer. :thewife:   :huh:   :boozing:

I would happily open your beers for you while watching you work on bikes!  Of course you'll only get a half full one back (service fee).   :boozing:

It was cool watching you diagnose and set John's Lemans back on the road to happiness in Cedar Vale this Spring.   :thumb:
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
  • Location: South London - home of the world's best football team.
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 03:25:59 PM »
So, I have had a word with my tame mechanic. He'll do it, but doesn't want the bike sat around for a week or two. Which means I need to buy a shock...and I cant see any on the 'Bay.

pete roper

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 04:11:57 PM »
Trog, what bike is this? If it's a Griso I've got shocks aplenty but wouldn't it be easier to just get it rebuilt?

Pete

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 08:05:03 PM »
Trog, what bike is this? If it's a Griso I've got shocks aplenty but wouldn't it be easier to just get it rebuilt?

Pete
Pete, who rebuilds Sachs shocks?  The one on my 1200 Sport feels a bit mushy.  Soes Sachs offer a rebuild kit (and instructions?)

Bob
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

pete roper

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 08:14:39 PM »
I just take 'em in to my local suspension bloke and say "Fix it please. Oh, the owner is a filthy little midget who rides like a cup-cake/ is a bloated monster who thrashes it mercilessly at track days." whichever is closest to the truth and he rips 'em apart and does what he has to do. Its a shock. How hard can it be?

Pete

Offline dl.allen

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 09:17:08 PM »
Racetech rebuilt my Sachs for a good price

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 03:13:42 AM »
It just pisses on you.

It all seems to have happened at once.

First my rear shock blows it seals. I have no rear damping. Bouncy bouncy. OK, I'd better get that off and get it rebuilt. I was just thinking about that as I was doing up my boot laces when something on my right hand went "pop!". Sadly, it was a feeling I'd had before - like when I snapped the flexor tendon on my left thumb. So, yes, it has happened again. This time, luckily, it is the extensor tendon on my right ring finger (often called "mallet finger" or "baseball finger").

Its not the end of the world, but my right ring finger is in a splint. I'm not supposed to ride (but I can actually get it into a glove, but it's less than ideal). Doing mechanics is...challenging.

So I am in a quandary. I will need to not ride to work fr a while. Which is an ideal time to change the shock. But I can't really do it.
I might have missed the bike you're on, but since you're in Sarf Lundon, you can contact Paul,(ex Corsa) he has my shock that I took out of the Norge for no good reason. Far as I'm concerned it's yours. Pm me your number and I'll ring him for you, arrange to get it if you want.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 02:20:13 PM »
I would happily open your beers for you while watching you work on bikes!  Of course you'll only get a half full one back (service fee).   :boozing:

It was cool watching you diagnose and set John's Lemans back on the road to happiness in Cedar Vale this Spring.   :thumb:

Thanks for that.  Some folks don't appreciate the amount of beer holding that goes into those little fixes.   :azn:  But I loved it when he rumbled by on his test ride shouting "It's like old times again!"

Offline nobleswood

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 11:25:14 PM »
Racetech rebuilt my Sachs for a good price

What did they charge you ?
2004 V11 Sport Naked / Ballabio
2013 1200 8v Griso

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here