Author Topic: Hagon Shock for Griso 8v?  (Read 3265 times)

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
  • Location: South London - home of the world's best football team.
Hagon Shock for Griso 8v?
« on: July 16, 2017, 07:43:38 AM »
Do Hagon make one? The model isn't listed on their website.

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Hagon Shock for Griso 8v?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 01:09:55 PM »
If they show a listing for other Guzzi models, use the online parts listings to see if the part numbers for the stock shock are the same for those models and the Griso. Otherwise, call them directly and check, since the specs may well be the same as a shock they do sell. It's surprising how much some of these things are a parts bin selection.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 01:22:38 PM »
If they show a listing for other Guzzi models, use the online parts listings to see if the part numbers for the stock shock are the same for those models and the Griso. Otherwise, call them directly and check, since the specs may well be the same as a shock they do sell. It's surprising how much some of these things are a parts bin selection.
Yeah - sensible advice.

The part no. for the 8v is the same as for the 1100. Hagon do a shock for the 1100, and it must therefore be compatible with the 8v!

Anyone disagree with that logic? Do I order one? Or do I wait until tomorrow and check with them like someone with a mild touch of OCD might? I'll check then, right?

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 01:57:30 PM »
Following ITSecs, logic I know that Nitron do one for the Stelvio if you're stuck
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 01:57:30 PM »

Offline nobleswood

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 02:24:21 PM »
There's an ongoing debate on GrisoGhetto.com about changing the rear shock and what are good options in the UK. Look for 'Stelvio shock' or something similar
2004 V11 Sport Naked / Ballabio
2013 1200 8v Griso

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 06:10:28 PM »
There's an ongoing debate on GrisoGhetto.com about changing the rear shock and what are good options in the UK. Look for 'Stelvio shock' or something similar
Thanks. I may have a look, as it will be interesting. But I am not looking for the best shock here - what I really want is the cheapest that won't be a disaster. I have a race bike project to spend the real money on!

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 06:13:44 PM »
I had a HAGON on my 1050 Tiger that I liked more than the Ohlins that replaced it.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 06:31:52 PM »
Looking at the HyperPro listings (which do not include a Griso either) the shock for the Norge (and a whole lotta others) is listed as MG12-0AA and the one for the Stelvio as MG12-0AB. I have no idea what the difference is, but the Stelvio is the only one that is different from any of the other big block monoshocks. A length adjuster is available for either as an option. I have the HyperPro on my Norge and like it a great deal. I have a sneaky suspicion that the one shock is also correct for the Griso, but it's just a suspicion.

I did a quick check at the AF1 and Harper websites, and there is some variation in part numbers from one model to the next, and from one year to another. Some of this may be due to real differences, and some may be due to changes that are less important, such as the color of the spring, parts that have been superseded (such as the change in the Norge shock between the 2007 and 2008 years, where the old one is no longer sold - just the newer improved one).
ITSecurity
2008 Norge GT - Silver

Offline nobleswood

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 07:18:55 PM »
Thanks. I may have a look, as it will be interesting. But I am not looking for the best shock here - what I really want is the cheapest that won't be a disaster. I have a race bike project to spend the real money on!
Well you should have a look as the OP has installed a  Stelvio shock. All at a good price
2004 V11 Sport Naked / Ballabio
2013 1200 8v Griso

Offline guzziownr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 08:07:12 PM »
Asking Hagon is a great idea.  Dave Quinn Motorcycles is our guy in CT.  He is awesome to deal with.  If you have the inseam go with the Stelvio shock.  I love mine but I am a biggish lad at 6'4" and 220lbs.  The photos below are of stock Guzzi-supplied shocks.  From '09 and a more recent fitment.

If you ever feel like no one pays attention to you, try making a sandwich in front of your dog

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 05:27:30 PM »
Well I fitted the Hagon shock which was specified for the 1100, but it fits the 8v just fine. And as it has some damping, unlike the OEM item, which had shot its load all over the rear of the bike, it feels fantastic! So I'm chalking that up as a success!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 05:27:52 PM by Trogladyte »

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 10:39:05 PM »
Well I fitted the Hagon shock which was specified for the 1100, but it fits the 8v just fine. And as it has some damping, unlike the OEM item, which had shot its load all over the rear of the bike, it feels fantastic! So I'm chalking that up as a success!

Another parts bin triumph. Sometimes I think Suzuki adopted their approach for designing bikes from Moto Guzzi!
ITSecurity
2008 Norge GT - Silver

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 04:19:16 AM »

Good choice. Hagon rear shocks may not be the most sophisticated on the market but do the business. For us in the UK they are a good company to deal, always helpful on the phone with sound advice. I will be putting one on my 1100 Griso when I do a winter suspension strip down.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 04:29:52 AM by molly »
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here