Author Topic: Will the 8v Guzzis go for decades like their ancestors did?  (Read 2004 times)

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
  • Location: South London - home of the world's best football team.
I've had my 8v Griso since new in 08. It spent much of its early life off the road as Guzzi gradually came to terms with the cam issue - mine was one that failed before the original recall, and went through a whole series of camshafts and followers. As a result at 9 years old it is just coming up to 50k miles. It is starting to show its age a bit, but isn't bad considering it has done 8 UK winters. And it has had a fair few replacement parts - a new suspension linkage thing (what's that triangular thing called?), swinging arm bearings, a new clutch, main bearing seal, a headlight (rusted out), two batteries, and I've just ordered a shock.

But its still a good runner, and doesn't look bad. And the heated grips I installed in 2008 are still going strong. But will I still be riding it in 2028?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 01:21:25 PM by Trogladyte »

Rough Edge racing

Re: Will the 8v Guzzis go for decades like their ancestors did?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 09:28:35 AM »
 There's lots of 50 year old bikes being ridden daily.....With newer bikes there's always the nagging question about electronics....If 20 years from now the ECU fries, what's gonna tell the fuel injection and ignition what to do if no replacement is available? A clever guy can probably make something work....

Offline Phang

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 10:09:06 AM »
There's lots of 50 year old bikes being ridden daily.....With newer bikes there's always the nagging question about electronics....If 20 years from now the ECU fries, what's gonna tell the fuel injection and ignition what to do if no replacement is available? A clever guy can probably make something work....

I hope someone will make aftermarket ECU with matching connectors

select the bike model, load the maps, plug and play
2009 Griso 8V SE Tenni (Green)
2000 V11 Sport (Green)
1973 V7 Sport (Green)

Offline swooshdave

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 12:24:50 PM »
The ECUs are pretty crude so they wouldn't be hard to replicate. Especially 20 yrs from now.
--
2001 V11 Sport
1972 Norton Production Racer Replica
1973 Norton Commando Interstate

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 12:24:50 PM »

pete roper

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 04:38:43 PM »
ECU's are ten a penny. Dashboards might be an issue. I won't be around to care! :grin:

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 04:50:35 PM »
ECU's are ten a penny. Dashboards might be an issue. I won't be around to care! :grin:

Hey, 10 for a penny is quite the deal, send me 100 of various models because I see them costing
$250 -$500 right now  :grin:

pete roper

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 05:03:18 PM »
A lot of the W5AM's used on Ducatis use the same pin-out. 1098's I think are one. Paul has the details but you can pick them up for $120-150 on the bay of fleas.

Pete

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 05:03:42 PM »
Can't say, but the old CX-100 has never left me stranded in 28 years. <knocking wood> 
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Psychopasta

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 02:57:13 PM »
Remember thought that when 80s Guzzis were new, they had lots of faults too. What's available now as a forty-year-old bike is the far wings of the distribution. My guess is that modern Guzzis will last perfectly well if in the hands of owners who take good care of them and apply the fixes that the community comes up with.

Not knocking Guzzi...I love Guzzis! But longevity is to do with a constantly-fettling owner.  :boozing:

- Pasta
V50 Monza 1981
Moto Guzzi V7 Stone Special 2023
Honda Goldwing 2019
Aprilia Tuareg 660 2023
Ancient A65 Bitsa, in pieces

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 03:34:23 PM »
Remember thought that when 80s Guzzis were new, they had lots of faults too. What's available now as a forty-year-old bike is the far wings of the distribution. My guess is that modern Guzzis will last perfectly well if in the hands of owners who take good care of them and apply the fixes that the community comes up with.

Not knocking Guzzi...I love Guzzis! But longevity is to do with a constantly-fettling owner.  :boozing:

- Pasta

:1:
if the original poster keeps doing as much as he's done already he'll have a new ride every 15 yrs. or so. New clutch already??  Guzzi's do tend to take your attention.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 01:39:26 AM »
Mechanically I don't see why not  but we need a way to circumvent the dash I think

Which brings me to something I've been thinking about.

The Ducati boys disable the immobiliser for racing. If we were to do that and provide an air pressure signal  to the ECU would the bike run?
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 01:53:55 AM »

- Pasta

I constantly fettle my 2008 Norge (new in 2011) so much that it's never had anything more than routine maintenance for 125,000 miles. I would note that the constant fettling includes fork seals (at 25,000 miles, not since), rear seal and main bearing in the CARC (at 80,000 miles) and regular (between scheduled and 3x scheduled) changes of fluids, plugs, etc.

I'd have to admit that it is not owner obsessive attention that has led to the longevity of my machine. After all, the same owner had to replace the clutch on a Subaru turbo at only 60,000.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 09:54:04 AM »
Mechanically I don't see why not  but we need a way to circumvent the dash I think

The electronics can generally be disabled or reworked but it will be illegal in many areas: TUV inspections in Germany and similar elsewhere will prevent it in those markets.  Also, the deletion of replaceable bearings in some areas of the engine would concern me a bit anywhere, main bearings IIRC on the big block engine and maybe cam bearings.

I think anything is possible but no, the new ones won't generally be operational for as long.  As the saying goes when the last Airbus goes to the scrap yard, a DC-3 will come along to pick up the crew.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 09:59:12 AM by Tusayan »

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 09:58:25 AM »
As the saying goes when the last Airbus goes to the scrap yard, a DC-3 will come along to pick up the crew.

If the DC3 has some working engines twin wasp radials are getting hard to find/expensive to run.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here