Author Topic: Visit USA  (Read 3711 times)

Offline Fredrik

• Hatchling
Visit USA
« on: December 04, 2021, 06:39:02 AM »
Hello.

I have only visited USA one time and it was in 1997 i had a week of vacation in Miami, Florida. I plan to visit USA again as soon the - situation is more stable. But this time do i want to visit ”real USA” so to say and not big cities like NY, LA etc. But ordinary small towns where tourism not have ruined the way of living. Florida felt like visiting South America based on the latina influence, nothing bad about that but it did not feel very, well, american. Any tips what is nice genuine american places where people drive pick up and use chewing tobacco? (Dont take my words to serious, i dont mean to offend).  :afro:
Moto Guzzi V9 Bobber -2021
Moto Guzzi V7 Special -1971
Ural Retro 750 -2011
Ural Вояж 720 -1999
IZH Jupiter-3.01 -1980
IZH Planeta-5 -1993
Honda Black Widow 750 -2001
Aprilia Leonardo 125 -1999

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
Re: Visit USA
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2021, 06:55:15 AM »
I’m just here to say that the US is huge, and the best part is that experience you had IS part of the American experience.  That experience was a regional one, but America is as much about the immigrants as it is about the folks whose families have lived in the same county in the same state for 200-300 hundred years. There’s stubborn traditionalism and persistent progressivism, and it’s all part of the fabric. That said, I come from small town living. If I were visiting the US, and only visited small towns, I’d be disappointed. Small towns in the states aren’t like those in Europe, where each one has a thousand year’s worth of really unique, documented history and their own distinct flavors.

Visiting the US for me would include a large road trip, trying to get as much of the scenery as possible. The country is so vast. If you want to avoid the biggest cities, that’s fine, but I think a road trip is the best option.

That said, if you want rural living, loud pickup trucks, and ornery blue collar workers, just drive farther away from the city lights. You’ll see that life.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 06:58:31 AM by Dirk_S »
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2021, 06:59:06 AM »
Fred, give me a shout out when you get up NC snd I’ll take you through the rural mountain of the Appalachian mountains. You’ll see all the baccker chewing, white liquor drinking folks you want to see.
I’ll even pick the banjo for you👍

Offline Fredrik

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2021, 07:00:39 AM »
I’m just here to say that the US is huge, and the best part is that experience you had IS part of the American experience.  That experience was a regional one, but America is as much about the immigrants as it is about the folks whose families have lived in the same county in the same state for 200-300 hundred years. There’s stubborn traditionalism and persistent progressivism, and it’s all part of the fabric. That said, I come from small town living. If I were visiting the US, and only visited small towns, I’d be disappointed. Small towns in the states aren’t like those in Europe, where each one has a thousand year’s worth of really unique, documented history and their own distinct flavors.

Visiting the US for me would include a large road trip, trying to get as much of the scenery as possible. The country is so vast. If you want to avoid the biggest cities, that’s fine, but I think a road trip is the best option.

That said, if you want rural living, loud pickup trucks, and ornery blue collar workers, just drive farther away from the city lights. You’ll see that life.

Thanks for reply, as you mention a road trip is what i want to do. I think it is the only way to get the best out of a trip in US.  :cheesy:
Ural Retro 750 -2011
Ural Вояж 720 -1999
IZH Jupiter-3.01 -1980
IZH Planeta-5 -1993

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2021, 07:00:39 AM »

Offline Fredrik

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2021, 07:01:51 AM »
Fred, give me a shout out when you get up NC snd I’ll take you through the rural mountain of the Appalachian mountains. You’ll see all the baccker chewing, white liquor drinking folks you want to see.

Looking forward to! Thanks!  :cheesy:
Ural Retro 750 -2011
Ural Вояж 720 -1999
IZH Jupiter-3.01 -1980
IZH Planeta-5 -1993

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2021, 07:13:26 AM »

upload your pic

Offline Mike Craven

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2021, 07:26:49 AM »
I can give you another place to land in the SE U.S. and have had several visitors over the years.  PM me.
-Mike-  (driving SAABs since 1973  :grin:)
Mike  L-715, Atlanta GA
1983 Cali II

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2021, 07:42:11 AM »
Hope you have a grand trip Fredrik.   There is so much to see in this country.  This is perhaps an unfair generalization,  but the southern half of the country seems more hospitable, or at least quicker to start a conversation. Southern food is simply amazing.  Being from the northeast, I’m always gratified by how open and friendly southerners are to strangers. I recommend looking for mountains, lakes and natural beauty, and then cross checking that with regional food and music.  Also, Americans seem very good at collecting interesting things and showing them off.  There are many great museums of cars, motorcycles and other stuff. Finally, look up local food festivals.  There is nothing more fun than immersing yourself in a crowd proud of their local specialty.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2021, 07:43:28 AM »
Up here in Minnesota you'd feel right at home. There is a lot of Swedish influence from immigrants. My grandma was born in Malmo Sweden. There is a Malmo Minnesota too. We have a lot of pickup trucks but not much tobacco chewers yet it is sold in all the gas stations/convenience stores. I grew up in Scandia Mn and relatives live in Lindstrom. We don't have big mountains or wide open prairie but do have a gazillion lakes so come in summer or the water will be hard. You will get a warm welcome here, look me up.

Lake Superior worth a visit. And we have big fish if that's your thing.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

GeorgiaGuzzi

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2021, 07:44:45 AM »

Take Dan up on his offer. The area he lives in has excellent motorcycling roads and lots of small town life. Another area that I personally recommend is the black hills area around Sturgis South Dakota. Needles Highway and Deadwood SD are awesome! Within a days ride of SD is another bucket list destination, Beartooth pass and Chief Joseph highway in Wyoming. Lots gorgeous scenery and small town life. The food in the Midwest is not as good as around Dan’s area. Too many European settlers with bland cooking in the Midwest! Lol

Here is a pic of the scenery from the Blue Ridge Parkway, close to NCDan.

And here is a pic from Beartooth Highway in Wyoming.

And finally from Needles area in SD

Let us know when you’re coming over and I’m sure we can have some Guzzi guides for you!

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2021, 08:00:35 AM »
If possible plan your trip around the first half of May and attend a small Guzzi Rally in Cedar Vale, Kansas. Doesn't get more "heartland".
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Petrus Rocks

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2021, 08:10:26 AM »
I recommend the Finger Lakes region of NY.  Very friendly people, great riding, breweries and wineries everywhere.  Many small and large towns.  The Glenn Curtiss Museum- https://glennhcurtissmuseum.org/.  All kinds of riding gravel and paved. 

Offline Fredrik

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2021, 08:10:54 AM »
I think it is impossible to experience USA in only one trip. I know i want to see the beautiful landscape in Wyoming, corn fields with silos in some states, listen to live country songs at a local pub, eat good spicy food etc. Maybe north to south will be a first step.  :cheesy:
Ural Retro 750 -2011
Ural Вояж 720 -1999
IZH Jupiter-3.01 -1980
IZH Planeta-5 -1993

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2021, 08:36:39 AM »

Lots to see…tons of variety…from the plains to the farms to the mountains…
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 08:38:43 AM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2021, 08:38:04 AM »
Hope you have a grand trip Fredrik.   There is so much to see in this country.  This is perhaps an unfair generalization,  but the southern half of the country seems more hospitable, or at least quicker to start a conversation. Southern food is simply amazing.  Being from the northeast, I’m always gratified by how open and friendly southerners are to strangers. I recommend looking for mountains, lakes and natural beauty, and then cross checking that with regional food and music.  Also, Americans seem very good at collecting interesting things and showing them off.  There are many great museums of cars, motorcycles and other stuff. Finally, look up local food festivals.  There is nothing more fun than immersing yourself in a crowd proud of their local specialty.

Agreed! I'd set a rough route covering your must see sights then find interesting happenings between each. You can traverse the country in well under a week, but why would you want to?
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Fredrik

• Hatchling
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2021, 08:38:19 AM »
Ural Retro 750 -2011
Ural Вояж 720 -1999
IZH Jupiter-3.01 -1980
IZH Planeta-5 -1993

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2021, 08:39:54 AM »

One more for you!!
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2021, 08:47:01 AM »
If possible plan your trip around the first half of May and attend a small Guzzi Rally in Cedar Vale, Kansas. Doesn't get more "heartland".
GliderJohn

And while in Kansas visit Lindsborg Kansas, after all it is named Little Sweden for good reason. Stay at the wonderful Rosberg House where Sabrina will take care of you like you’re royalty! (this is an unpaid endorsement)

If you’re around, KC give a shout out and we’ll break bread.
inditx aka Jack
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2021, 08:47:23 AM »
Take NCDan's offer. Those people in the Carolinas are the nicest folks. If you want to see backwoods SW Missouri and NW Arkansas, I'm you're man.  :thumb:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Nick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2021, 09:19:15 AM »

If your route includes riding thru New Jersey, you may want to visit this little town.

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2021, 09:22:25 AM »

Great recommendation, we passed thru there in May this year…one week after the Cedar Vale rally
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 09:23:32 AM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2021, 09:31:02 AM »
Hello.

I have only visited USA one time and it was in 1997 i had a week of vacation in Miami, Florida. I plan to visit USA again as soon the - situation is more stable. But this time do i want to visit ”real USA” so to say and not big cities like NY, LA etc. But ordinary small towns where tourism not have ruined the way of living. Florida felt like visiting South America based on the latina influence, nothing bad about that but it did not feel very, well, american. Any tips what is nice genuine american places where people drive pick up and use chewing tobacco? (Dont take my words to serious, i dont mean to offend).  :afro:

Fredrik,

On other forms where a greater variety of topics are discussed much more passionately (some would say less politely), I like to remind the non-American posters that America is a country which defies definition.  Large populations both encourage and defy stereotyping since the observer can always find datapoint to bolster or refute their preferred assumptions.

I like to remind the other forum members that there are over 39,000 zip codes in America, and each zip code may contain a dozen or more cultures.

Asking about America is like asking about Europe or Asia.  Lots of variation and diversity.  So expect the answers to your inquiries to vary greatly based on the perceptions and experiences of the responder.

I would advise to pick a few areas that you would like to visit for whatever reasons but then don't hold a strict schedule, just follow whatever interests you at the moment.  Also known as "following your nose."

Once you start meeting Americans face to face, most will offer you plenty of advice on the local attractions and areas of interest.

If you make it to the Lynchburg, Virginia area, please let me know.  I'll be glad to buy you a meal and show you around.  If you're. to allergic to animals, I can probably put you up for a couple nights.  More great backroads within a 100 mile radius than one can ride in a lifetime.

Assuming of course that you have not already stopped at NCDan's place and are not already completely turned off by Southern Redneck Inbred Americans.......   :wink:  cause most of my BS will probably sound a lot like his BS..... but with an upstate NY accent....:azn:

take care,

Ed
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 09:42:56 AM by SIR REAL ED »
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2021, 09:36:12 AM »
Yeah well stay away from Chicago.

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2021, 10:07:28 AM »
Fredrik,

More advice:

You might want to watch the movie "My Cousin Vinny" a few times before you visit.

A female Russian PhD. Physicist I worked with told me that after hearing her accent, a lot of Americans ask her to repeat the phrase "Squirrel must die!"  Made famous by the Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoons.

Don't be surprised if some Americans ask you to translate the song that the Swedish Chef from the Muppets is singing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8SGRm3JaW8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UmUX68KtE

"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline Stretch

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2021, 10:22:17 AM »
If you're in Maine, let me know.

There are some beautiful places to see in New England, and some
great roads.

As others have said, North Carolina, various areas in New York State,
Pennsylvania, California, West Virginia, etc., etc. are beautiful.

-Stretch

1967? Change Jiang M1M
1978 Yamaha SR500
1987 BMW K75S
2011 Kawasaki KLR650
2011 Triumph Rocket III Touring
2015 Triumph Trophy
2017 Moto Guzzi 1400 California Touring

Offline Fredrik

• Hatchling
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2021, 10:30:30 AM »
Fredrik,

On other forms where a greater variety of topics are discussed much more passionately (some would say less politely), I like to remind the non-American posters that America is a country which defies definition.  Large populations both encourage and defy stereotyping since the observer can always find datapoint to bolster or refute their preferred assumptions.

I like to remind the other forum members that there are over 39,000 zip codes in America, and each zip code may contain a dozen or more cultures.

Asking about America is like asking about Europe or Asia.  Lots of variation and diversity.  So expect the answers to your inquiries to vary greatly based on the perceptions and experiences of the responder.

I would advise to pick a few areas that you would like to visit for whatever reasons but then don't hold a strict schedule, just follow whatever interests you at the moment.  Also known as "following your nose."

Once you start meeting Americans face to face, most will offer you plenty of advice on the local attractions and areas of interest.

If you make it to the Lynchburg, Virginia area, please let me know.  I'll be glad to buy you a meal and show you around.  If you're. to allergic to animals, I can probably put you up for a couple nights.  More great backroads within a 100 mile radius than one can ride in a lifetime.

Assuming of course that you have not already stopped at NCDan's place and are not already completely turned off by Southern Redneck Inbred Americans.......   :wink:  cause most of my BS will probably sound a lot like his BS..... but with an upstate NY accent....:azn:

take care,

Ed

My father always tought me that USA have 50 states (it is 50 right?) and you can see each state as a country, all states are unique in their own way. So this gives me 50 reasons more to visit USA.  :cheesy: :bike-037:
Ural Retro 750 -2011
Ural Вояж 720 -1999
IZH Jupiter-3.01 -1980
IZH Planeta-5 -1993

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2021, 10:41:33 AM »
The Grand Canyon via Vespa, 2019.
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Anomaly

• Gosling
  • Location: Southern Tuscany (mostly), Rhode Island (sometimes)
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2021, 05:33:56 PM »
As somewhat of an alternative approach to all the good suggestions you've already received... Get ahold of a road atlas that covers the 50 states--- actually what you want is the in the first few pages which is a single overview of the 48 contiguous states "the lower 48" as they say in Alaska) and the major/relatively major roads that run through all 48. Pick a road that looks interesting to you and plan your trip around that. For example, I-90 (for Interstate-90, the interstates are the biggest roads/freeways) runs east-west across the entire US, from Boston to Seattle. There is lots to see along any portion of that "route." I-80 does the same (runs east/west) but just a bit further south. On a lark, I once flew into to Dallas, picked up an old Toyota Tercel 4WD wagon I had bought for $600 sight unseen off Craigslist and drove it back to Rhode Island going across parts of middle-America that I had only visited as a child--Arkansas, Tennessee, ... Personally, given what little you have hinted at, I would fly into Minneapolis, rent a car or a bike and head west on the old US 2 highway. 2 runs east/west across the entire US just a bit south of the Canadian border but unlike the Interstates, you go right through the center of most of the small towns you intercept along the way (thus it is slower than sticking to the interstates). But 2 will take you through beautiful country in Minnesota, North Dakota, and into Montana where you can find real cowboys and Glacier National Park and Yellowstone and then on into Idaho and finally Washington state (time your trip to go to the Ellensburg Rodeo...). So 2 is just a suggestion, but following a road is the main idea. Maybe get a copy of the book "Blue Highways" and read that for some ideas (the book is a bit dated now but should still be relevant in terms of giving you some ideas). Let us know your plans when the trip is actually a reality!
1981 T3 California, 1983 Piaggio Apecar P2
Sold: 98 BMW F650, 2012 v7 Classic

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2021, 05:42:00 PM »
My father always tought me that USA have 50 states (it is 50 right?) and you can see each state as a country, all states are unique in their own way. So this gives me 50 reasons more to visit USA.  :cheesy: :bike-037:

Right you are!  Still 50!

Another idea is to look for roads with the same route number that are very long.  These will be the pre-interstate roads.

From my upstate NY days, I remembered a route 11/15 up by Lake Ontario.  Many years later, I noticed route 11/15 in Virginia.  IIRC, from looking at an atlas, route 11/15 ran all the way from Florida to New York.  I bet it would be a ride thru a lot of towns of various sizes.

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2021, 05:51:06 PM »
If you're in Maine, let me know.

There are some beautiful places to see in New England, and some
great roads.

As others have said, North Carolina, various areas in New York State,
Pennsylvania, California, West Virginia, etc., etc. are beautiful.

-Stretch

Second that , Too much ground to cover in one trip but Maine isn't a bad place to see in the summer months. You will be welcome with open arm up here  . Glad to put you up if you come this far north.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here