Author Topic: No Chicken Strips!  (Read 6268 times)

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
No Chicken Strips!
« on: July 15, 2016, 05:16:52 PM »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: No Chicken Strips!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 06:19:50 PM »
Well. To me that illustrates everything I've ever said...

About 99.9% of posturing about what bike/brand is better is bupkiss.... Much ado about nothing.

Oh, and crossing center is verboten.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 06:21:18 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

oldbike54

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 06:32:05 PM »
 Looks like a normal ride to me , what am I missing ???

Dusty

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 06:49:50 PM »
agreed , normal ride ...in Italy on any given sunday.... where cagers do not horn if you pass them and do not call police ...etc...
they just sit tight and mind their business.
I have experienced riding in USA and Italy and the behavior of cagers is like night and day.

thanks for posting.. 

ah , notice the bikes parked outside of the coffee... nobody will get a ticket. it's a bike why in hell i should park it in a car spot ?????

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 06:49:50 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 06:52:37 PM »
 Arveno , I live in a lightly populated part of the country , not unusual to ride for miles without encountering any cars , on roads very similar to that .

Dusty

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 06:57:28 PM »
Really? Crossing over or leaning over the center line is a regular thing? No thanks.

That's a substitute for proper lines , proper techniques, and reasonable road speeds.

Cross over constantly like that and it becomes a matter of habit, eventually you'll make a bad prediction and the lane won't be free.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 06:36:47 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 06:59:49 PM »
Look normal for me when riding in Italy.  Especially in the Dolomites.  Often times a marked road like that will go into a single lane into a hairpin.  A rider has to look at the road going into and above the hairpin.  Not unusual to use the whole road.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 07:05:33 PM »
Arveno , I live in a lightly populated part of the country , not unusual to ride for miles without encountering any cars , on roads very similar to that .

Dusty

I grew up in Milan , a city where traffic is bad so scooter and moped and motorcycles are driven to cut through traffic.
I cannot drive behind a car, it does not just make sense to me....In NY NJ CT area... if you pass a car.... geeeezzzz they get pissed and start horn at you .... what am i supposed to do ? stay in traffic with a motorcycle ?

Same on mountain roads.... motorcycles take their pace and cagers don't mind it because it is the way it is supposed to be or at least it is the way we grew up.

And crossing over or leaning over the center line...is not a big deal..geeezzzz

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 07:06:46 PM »
 :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2016, 07:14:36 PM »
Not a big deal?

Nah, it's weak technique. It's selfish behavior that assumes a family won't be in a car coming the other direction. At best it's an indulgence that builds bad habits.

The litmus test for morality of an action in a vacuum of no other morality is simple. Ask yoursel if everyone did it would it be a benefit or liability to the human race. If every self important individual ignored the rules of the road that thoroughly the net result would be negative.

I'm not saying the occasional bending of the rule is of itself an issue, but the systematic shunning is problematic. So again, no thanks.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 07:15:38 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 07:32:36 PM »
looks like a normal riding to me.

which one was the Harley and Griso?

vs meaning ?
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2016, 07:57:09 PM »
The 6 minutes I watched represented about 2 or 3yrs. of stupid behavior by me.
So I won't judge, we've all been there. Admittedly so, or not..
Personally, following someone easing it down the straights and THEN railing a turn
is pure poetry.
Oh, and my money is on the Griso. :evil:
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

oldbike54

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2016, 08:06:30 PM »
 Geez fellas , I have probably at least 400,000 miles W/O a crash , or even many close calls . No , I don't advise crossing the center line , but on occasion it does happen when the sight lines allow for it. Some of you need to come to the Okie and experience our lightly traveled roads and relatively polite car drivers , of course there is the rare asshat , just part of life . Italians aren't the only decent drivers .

Dusty

oldbike54

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2016, 08:10:49 PM »
looks like a normal riding to me.

which one was the Harley and Griso?

vs meaning ?

Yep , Hogback Rd , or the Talimena Dr on a quiet day , some buds out on their Guzzis , huh
John  :bike-037:

Dusty

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 08:30:29 PM »
Nah Dusty, it's not fellas, it's just me.

Maybe it's a difference in perspectives because of that stated difference in population. I can accept that might be it.

I just know that in my own many hundreds of thousands of miles I suspect such habits would have ended badly around here.

Which is why I stated in the first post these crossings are verboten, and reacted so surprised the rest of the time, but I'm willing to concede conditions might be so habitually different in the Midwest that it might not apply.

For me, my experience suggests that even if so, I'd rather not...

.. Related story, driving the family home from the dojo on a Saturday morning a few weeks ago and my scanning identified a car coming towards us clearly on a collision course... It continued towards us across the double yellow at which point I accelerated and served the Jeep toward the curb while laying on the horn. As he barely missed us I saw him in the rear view jerk back towards his lane just seconds before he hit the curb on my side. I'm not sure if it was the motorcycling skills of scanning identifying threats or the martial arts skills of the same... Just glad I was really watching for situations.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 03:56:02 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2016, 08:55:45 PM »
You can use the whole road in Italy especially in the Dolomite Alps.  Lined or not.  It's up to the rider.  Road rules aren't the same in Italy vs the U.S.  Of course if you don't want to ride using the whole road in the Alps then that's your choice too.

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2016, 10:11:00 PM »
These riders IMHO demonstrated good judgement and technique - hanging back behind cars until full view of road ahead, utilizing judicious portion of road to maximize views thru curves and optimize their lines, etc. Nothing Verbotten here, citizen (of the Alps) - move along!

I yearn to ride in the Alps again after seeing that, thanks!  :bow:
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2016, 10:17:37 PM »
Some of you need to come to the Okie and experience our lightly traveled roads and relatively polite car drivers , of course there is the rare asshat , just part of life . Italians aren't the only decent drivers .

It's very regional.  Here in rural NC most drivers are very laid back and you don't see much road rage.  Big cities can be unpleasant at best.  In areas like western NC, around Deals Gap and the vicinity for example, many car drivers will pull off the road to let motorcycles pass.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2016, 01:59:45 AM »
Euro drivers put the right turn signal on, pull to the far right to give room for the riders to pass.  They keep a steady pace so that there are less variables for the motorcycle rider. 

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2016, 05:20:07 AM »
Wait a minute. Harleys are not suppose to be able to run like that! Right?

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2016, 08:36:03 AM »
I don't cross the center line unless I am passing . I consider crossing sloppy and unskilled so unless I screw up I don't do it.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2016, 09:24:30 AM »
 :copcar: That's nukin futs and IMO uncool riding and what gives riders a bad rap. Passing is not an issue but crossing the line on nearly every corner is pretty stupid. These Riders are obviously not your run of the mill jockeys, and have serious riding skills, but judgement is lacking.

The Harley XR is an amazing ride, not surprised it hung with the crotch rockets and Griso.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2016, 10:20:12 AM »
which one was the Griso and XR?
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2016, 10:25:22 AM »
Wait, courteous Euro drivers pull to the right and hold a steady pace to let others pass? Here, angry drivers speed up when you try to pass in an effort to block you.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2016, 10:31:36 AM »
Wait a minute. Harleys are not suppose to be able to run like that! Right?

Not your typical Harley.  You wouldn't  see that with an Ultra or Road King.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Fuzzy

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2016, 11:05:33 AM »
My observation is that as long as you stay out of other drivers way, they don't really care what you do. While someone coming the other way to meet you head on would be pissed, as long as no one gets pushed out of the way, no one cares.

My friends who ride over there feel that if you can't ride like that, why own a motorcycle? Same is true in the city with scooters. It appears to me to be unnecessarily risky.

oldbike54

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2016, 11:17:18 AM »
 Honestly I would rather see small groups riding in a spirited fashion than encounter the cruiser bike parades doing 15 under running in a tight formation so no one can safely pass .

Dusty

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2016, 11:51:03 AM »
around here its normal for cruiser types to run a rolling roadblock. this is where a good gob of horsepower and torque come in handy, either in a bike or car. makes it fun!
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2016, 01:25:01 PM »
If you drive or ride using U.S. rules in Italy, you'll get a ticket for holding up traffic. 

Offline Daleroso

• Gosling
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2016, 03:02:51 PM »
Most solid center lines are engineered for more than two wheels. Yes, anything can happen in a lapsed moment of attention but 40 in front is always better than 70 behind, right? 51 yeas of crossing the center lines safely has provided some wonderfull thrills that continue to this day. There are exceptions to EVERY rule. Beaten paths are for beaten men. (Oh, & women!)

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here