Author Topic: roofing shingles, overlay or tear off?  (Read 5486 times)

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
Re: roofing shingles, overlay or tear off?
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2017, 09:07:05 PM »
Do the tear off yourself.  It is a good experience and makes a person appreciate the effort roofers make, to make a living, and buy their Guzzis.  The money saved can go towards a new small block or something.  Best of luck with your decision.

When the weather is nice, shingle work isn't unpleasant.  The respect I have for roofers is their ability to do the work year round.  But yes whether you strip the old ones first or add a layer, it's way cheaper to do it yourself.  I bought an air nailer for the purpose, and it was well worth it.  I've used it on several roof jobs over the years.  When my wife, father, and I did my house with its 5,000 square foot roof, I built a crane from pipe and bolted it to a poplar tree.  Then with a block and tackle on the crane boom, I'd get one of the helpers to drive the garden tractor down the driveway and lift a small pallet of shingles up to the roof.  It was sure easier than carrying them up a ladder.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2017, 06:08:01 AM »
PS  Metal roofs are not all the same.  If you decide on one, shop carefully and beware of salesman hype.  I found it interesting the contractors who did shingle roofs did not do metal roofs.  Some of the metal is very thin and you just cannot walk on it at all, if that matters to you (like having to reseal vents and such).

I helped install a metal roof, but, it was on a metal building.  Heavy gauge steel in those, and not cheap.  Instead of nail gun invest in GOOD hammer drills  :)
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2017, 07:25:59 AM »
One of my neighbors installed a metal roof before Hurricane Ivan and Ivan decided that he wanted it and that was the end of that roof. Replaced by architectural shingles.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline screamday

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2017, 07:59:33 AM »
The respect I have for roofers is their ability to do the work year round.  But yes whether you strip the old ones first or add a layer, it's way cheaper to do it yourself.

I don't know......roofing is tough work. I've done small out buildings but don't think I would ever tackle a 3,000 sq ft roof. A good team of roofers can strip and replace a roof in a two or three days.....weather permitting, haul off the debris and I can drink a couple of beers while watching. Game, set and match.
Tony in SC
"Comfort the disturbed and Disturb the comfortable"
1988 R100RS
1998 V11 EV

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2017, 07:59:33 AM »

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2017, 09:20:21 AM »
I don't know......roofing is tough work. I've done small out buildings but don't think I would ever tackle a 3,000 sq ft roof. A good team of roofers can strip and replace a roof in a two or three days.....weather permitting, haul off the debris and I can drink a couple of beers while watching. Game, set and match.

I got a shingles vaccination yesterday .... that's all I've got to contribute to this conversation.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2017, 09:53:12 AM »
Thanks fellas.  Leaning hard to a tear off for several reasons stated here.

I did a bit of roofing on my garage of my first house, 27 years ago.  I don't care how much it cost, there is no way I'm going to risk my life now, and sweet my ass off to save $1800.

I respect roofers, its dam hard work.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Bud

• Gosling
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2017, 08:17:39 PM »
     I'm a strip it down first kind of guy. I read through these responses quickly and didn't see anyone mention snow. I live in the northeast and a couple of years ago we had roofs caving in all over the place. Two or three layers of roofing is quite heavy and then add a foot or so of heavy snow ?? Just say'n.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2017, 10:48:34 PM »
  I live in the northeast and a couple of years ago we had roofs caving in all over the place. Two or three layers of roofing is quite heavy and then add a foot or so of heavy snow ?? Just say'n.

It's easy enough to check the load rating of the roof and see if the added weight of shingles is significant.   I did that here, planing for the future, and one layer of shingles as they're normally applied is only a small fraction of the load of a couple feet of snow.  If a roof caves in because of snow load, it's unlikely any shingles below did much to help.

More than once I've been on a roof shoveling snow, because there was a foot and a half of snow up there, and rain in the forecast.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2017, 11:18:41 PM »
"Steel is real."   :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2017, 02:18:11 PM »
Thanks ladies for all your help! :wink:  No really, I do appreciate all the good points of view.  I ended up going with the total tear off, the guy and crew I hired seemed quite consensus, and I pleased with how it turned out.   I didn't consider steel, as I have yet to see a steel roof on any house here in the suburbs, and since we might sell sooner than later, I don't want to be the guy with the arrows in his back!
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline lorazepam

• Gosling
  • Almost ready for suspenders
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2017, 08:41:29 PM »
"Steel is real."   :thumb:

In roofs and bicycles.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here