Author Topic: '07 Norge upper/side fairing removal?  (Read 209 times)

Online brider

• Gaggle Hero
'07 Norge upper/side fairing removal?
« on: March 25, 2024, 09:32:17 PM »
Yes, I searched that exact word string and got nothing. Service manual is almost useless.

So I'm talking about the side fairings that have the "Norge" placard above the side marker lights. My lowers have already been removed. It LOOKS like these should separate from the uppers that wrap up to the headlight, but without removing the wraparound dash panel it's hard to tell. Do I NEED to remove the dash panel to get to fairing fasteners below? By the book that also means removing the windshield to get to (2) upper dash screws, it seems insane that you need to dismantle that much just to remove a side fairing. I removed the dash wraparound once after I got the bike to access the underside handlebar bolts to remove the risers the PO had installed, sure wish I'd taken a good look around then.

'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline cappisj1

• Gosling
Re: '07 Norge upper/side fairing removal?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2024, 10:21:34 PM »
Yes the screen, top cove and dash have to come off to get to those screws. You might be able to leave the dash there after removing the screws and fumble around and get them off but it’s much easier to just remove the dash.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2024, 06:06:44 AM »
As mentioned, it is MUCH easier to make yourself a coffee, lock the workshop door and just go about it methodically.
Remove the screen.
Undo the piddly little fixing bolts that secure the black dash panel.
Turn, twist, rotate, flex, push, pull then lift the said panel and after 45 minutes you’ll get it off, but you must undo the plug that connects the instruments to the loom.
IF you remove ONE handlebar riser, it is a LOT easier…(optional).
Knowing where the bolts are that fix the “Norge” panel to the upper fairing is a bonus, you can sort of accomplish it all by feel without removing the black dash panel, but it is not easy.
Do not forget the 2 crappy little bolts under the headlight(s) up front, you WILL break off the tabs if you neglect to release these.
BTW…
You don’t need to remove the dash panel to get the riser(s) off. A long socket extension with a short section of Allen key, and you can reach up from underneath.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 06:09:17 AM by Huzo »

Online brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2024, 07:33:35 AM »
As mentioned, it is MUCH easier to make yourself a coffee, lock the workshop door and just go about it methodically.
Remove the screen.
Undo the piddly little fixing bolts that secure the black dash panel.
Turn, twist, rotate, flex, push, pull then lift the said panel and after 45 minutes you’ll get it off, but you must undo the plug that connects the instruments to the loom.
IF you remove ONE handlebar riser, it is a LOT easier…(optional).
Knowing where the bolts are that fix the “Norge” panel to the upper fairing is a bonus, you can sort of accomplish it all by feel without removing the black dash panel, but it is not easy.
Do not forget the 2 crappy little bolts under the headlight(s) up front, you WILL break off the tabs if you neglect to release these.
BTW…
You don’t need to remove the dash panel to get the riser(s) off. A long socket extension with a short section of Allen key, and you can reach up from underneath.

Thanks, my suspicions are confirmed that it's not an easy task, And I learned that I didn't need to remove the black dash panel to remove the handlebar bolts AFTER I already removed it. Removing it didn't gain me squat for wrench clearance.

So....how is the gas tank held down? I've read in alternate postings that the big bolt at the rear and just (2?) external screws on each side common to the fairings will physically release the tank (not including the hoses/connectors underneath)? Doesn't seem real crashworthy....
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2024, 07:33:35 AM »

Offline cappisj1

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2024, 10:56:57 AM »
Tank is one bolt under the seat. The front of the tank slides into rubber stops. The hard part is disconnecting the fuel line at the back of the tank. Look up some threads on different ways. One important step is to release the pressure in that fuel line. I found I had better luck getting the fitting to move when the line was not under pressure.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2024, 12:10:38 PM »
When removing the tank, don’t forget to undo these two screws…(one each side).

Also, remove the side panels.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here