Author Topic: Why the steering damper on a California?  (Read 5198 times)

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Why the steering damper on a California?
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2018, 05:26:32 AM »
My impression of steering dampers is they work in the upper ten percent of a bikes capabilities, to prevent increasing frequency and duration of front wheel oscillations

They only work when you've gone full throttle in a turn, a dog attacks your front crashbar from his front porch setting off a tank slapper....the bars snap back and forth so fast it tears the bars out of your hands

With...the tank slapper slows and stops it's oscillating with a chance to recover

Without...spit you off into the bushes in a different direction

There was a lot of that tank slapper crap (even without a dog attack) 60-70s when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

Yes they effect straight line, slow parking lot and the highway straight but my impression that is secondary. They don't do nothing until your about to be killed from a violent wrist breaking tank slapper

"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Why the steering damper on a California?
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2018, 05:38:10 AM »
YouTube video on where I think steering dampers work to save your a$$...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TpeNWxHF6uI

Tank slappers from wheelies don't count, that's a self induced tank slapper...watch the last guy in the video, #34 from a TT...

It's a compromise...too tight a damper makes it unrideable at slow speeds, too loose wouldn't stop a tank slapper...everywher e in between you don't notice it
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here