Author Topic: Cluch Hub O rings?  (Read 930 times)

Offline Peter949

• PeterCaliII
  • Hatchling
  • 84 Cali II
Cluch Hub O rings?
« on: December 14, 2018, 02:46:35 PM »
I am replacing the clutch on my 1984 California II, and removed the old worn clutch hub. I am ready to install the new hub, and the kit from MG cycle contained 2 "O" rings that fit under the new clutch hub.

The smaller O ring clearly fits on the transmission input shaft. The larger but thinner O ring seems to fit in a tapered recess on the Clutch Hub. However the transmission 'parts diagram' shows an "oil-spreading washer"
for this thinner O ring.  My transmission shaft/clutch hub was missing both the

washer and thinner O ring!  :sad:

Where can I purchase or get one of these washers for this O ring. Harpers does not seem to have this washer available when I look at their on-line parts diagram. It is part #7 in the diagram.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 02:48:23 PM by Peter949 »
Peter

1984  Cali II
Aprilia 125 Sportcity Scooter

pete roper

Re: Cluch Hub O rings?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 02:54:09 PM »
The oil spreader washer or whatever they call it is inboard of the bearing and guides oil into the bearing by centrifugal force. The larger o-ring just slips down the shaft and acts as a crush seal in the countersink in the bottom of the clutch hub. Use a new lock washer and a drip of 243 on the peg nut threads and you're good to go.

Pete

Offline Peter949

• PeterCaliII
  • Hatchling
  • 84 Cali II
Re: Cluch Hub O rings?
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 04:47:36 PM »
Thanks Pete for the info on that "oil-spreading washer" which is actually inboard of the bearing. I will now certainly put it all back together with the 2 O-rings + 243 Loctite on the peg nut.  :thumb:

Hopefully I will soon be ready for another 140,000 kilometers ...
Peter

1984  Cali II
Aprilia 125 Sportcity Scooter

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here