Author Topic: Ohlins shocks spring rates  (Read 1578 times)

Online reidy

• Gosling
Ohlins shocks spring rates
« on: January 15, 2019, 04:01:52 AM »
I have a set off Ohlins STX 36 twin shocks on my bike. I purchased them second hand and am quite happy with the current damping. I would like to try a slightly heavier spring but can’t find any markings. The springs are black but on one or two spots they appear chrome underneath. They may have been painted at some point.

I cannot find a guide online that gives the dimensions and spring rate of Ohlins springs.
My springs are very close to 60mm outside diameter. I measured 59.6mm.
I have 10 active coils and a total of 12 coils. The first few are spaced very close together.
The wire diameter appears to be 7.15mm.

Does anyone here have a Ohlins dimension cross reference to rate chart or a similar set of springs and know the rate. Once I work out what I have I can than decide what to buy.

Thanks   

Steve

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Ohlins shocks spring rates
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 06:54:39 AM »
I have a set off Ohlins STX 36 twin shocks on my bike. I purchased them second hand and am quite happy with the current damping. I would like to try a slightly heavier spring but can’t find any markings. The springs are black but on one or two spots they appear chrome underneath. They may have been painted at some point.

I cannot find a guide online that gives the dimensions and spring rate of Ohlins springs.
My springs are very close to 60mm outside diameter. I measured 59.6mm.
I have 10 active coils and a total of 12 coils. The first few are spaced very close together.
The wire diameter appears to be 7.15mm.

Does anyone here have a Ohlins dimension cross reference to rate chart or a similar set of springs and know the rate. Once I work out what I have I can than decide what to buy.

Thanks   

Steve

How did you come to the conclusion that you need a heavier spring?  Are you not able to provide enough preload to set the static sag?  I would recommend contacting Ohlins USA so you can get accurate answers to your questions.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 09:08:19 AM »
If it's an Ohlins spring, it will have this type of info on it:

Google "Ohlins Spring Guide" and you'll find lots of hits.   I used a slightly shorter but stiffer spring on the back of my V11 Nero Corsa to improve 2-up performance.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 09:09:17 AM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 11:12:31 AM »
 I've dealt with Cogent Dynamics for Ohlins shocks...They had slightly better prices , friendly fast service...  https://www.motocd.com/

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 11:12:31 AM »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 06:08:56 PM »
I've dealt with Cogent Dynamics for Ohlins shocks...They had slightly better prices , friendly fast service...  https://www.motocd.com/

Man, I had a Cogent Dynamics shock on my KLR 650.  It was Amazing!  Didn't have to slow down for any terrain.  Even Railroad Tracks were a breeze. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline menzies

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 07:11:45 PM »
Another cogent fan here, cannot say enough about their work.
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2007 Triumph Bonneville
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2017 V9 Roamer

Online reidy

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 12:57:29 AM »
Twowheelsadict asked the question why I think I need a stronger spring. This is a good question and from some other forums I have been on it appears to be a belief the heavy springs equals good handling. I do not describe to this line of thinking and wan't to use most of the travel and only have the bump stops come into play for the really big stuff.

What I did was slide the bump stops up on the shock shafts. I found that they are a loose fit and would easily slide back down. To contract this I tied a piece of waxed looming string around the shaft and the bump stop pushes this down. This provided a more accurate reading.

I set my sag at around 27mm with me on the bike. These shocks give me about 95mm shaft travel to half bump stop compression.
I than went for a very sedate ride on good roads with very mild acceleration. I still had a bout 30mm of travel left. Hard acceleration on smooth roads uses almost all of the travel. Strong acceleration on less than smooth roads appear to use full travel (bump stop pushed all of the way down). Large bumps at legal speed use all of the travel. Very big bumps like the one I hit yesterday and should have been going a bit slower feel like the bike is trying to launch me into space. Small ripples at speed don't use all of the travel (this tells me that I don't have to much rebound pumping the shock down.       

I could reduce the sag but find I end up with the shock topping out on some roads, or at least feels like they do.   

I can't find any numbers but they may have been painted over.

I am in SE QLD Australia and don't appear to have a local Ohlins distributor. On the Ikon website they kindly put the dimensions of their springs so you can work out what you have.I was hoping Ohlins did the same.

Thanks

Steve

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 02:05:30 AM »
ohlins do same, had the relevant chart on dead computer, sorry can’t post it
hope you find it but if not, measure rate of yours or take to any suspension shop
then buy rated you want to try, many aftermarket out there oe ohlins not only option

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 06:59:42 AM »
Twowheelsadict asked the question why I think I need a stronger spring. This is a good question and from some other forums I have been on it appears to be a belief the heavy springs equals good handling. I do not describe to this line of thinking and wan't to use most of the travel and only have the bump stops come into play for the really big stuff.

What I did was slide the bump stops up on the shock shafts. I found that they are a loose fit and would easily slide back down. To contract this I tied a piece of waxed looming string around the shaft and the bump stop pushes this down. This provided a more accurate reading.

I set my sag at around 27mm with me on the bike. These shocks give me about 95mm shaft travel to half bump stop compression.
I than went for a very sedate ride on good roads with very mild acceleration. I still had a bout 30mm of travel left. Hard acceleration on smooth roads uses almost all of the travel. Strong acceleration on less than smooth roads appear to use full travel (bump stop pushed all of the way down). Large bumps at legal speed use all of the travel. Very big bumps like the one I hit yesterday and should have been going a bit slower feel like the bike is trying to launch me into space. Small ripples at speed don't use all of the travel (this tells me that I don't have to much rebound pumping the shock down.       

I could reduce the sag but find I end up with the shock topping out on some roads, or at least feels like they do.   

I can't find any numbers but they may have been painted over.

I am in SE QLD Australia and don't appear to have a local Ohlins distributor. On the Ikon website they kindly put the dimensions of their springs so you can work out what you have.I was hoping Ohlins did the same.

Thanks

Steve

Thank you for the detailed reply.  Here's to success in your quest for the perfect ride.   :boozing:
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here