Author Topic: V65 Florida turned 'scrambler' on pipeburn  (Read 1242 times)

Offline Lumpy Idle

• Gosling
V65 Florida turned 'scrambler' on pipeburn
« on: June 03, 2019, 12:07:48 PM »
there are some aspects of this i like and others i could do without - which is par for the course with these things.  again i must state that you cannot merely throw knobbies on a bike and call it a scrambler. it must have the requisite bars and upswept pipes.

https://www.pipeburn.com/home/2019/06/03/the-flying-scotsman-moto-guzzi-scrambler.html

i like the blacked-out engine and the overall lack of chrome. the harris tweed pouch is something new. there is a definite sense of craftsmanship in this build and while its not my sorta thing i can respect the work that went into it...   but pipe wrap...really?
'97 1100Sporti
'76 850T3

"You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter."
--- Anonymous

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V65 Florida turned 'scrambler' on pipeburn
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 04:16:07 PM »
The usd fork makes it more attractive. The tweed thingie is pure after thought and sucks, imo. The brakes are likely delinked. Not a bad idea for a scrambler. The bike needs a bit of contrasting color, too. A grafic in the matte, acid green of the MG V8 fairing could add interest.  R3~

Offline Lumpy Idle

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 04:41:25 PM »
The usd fork makes it more attractive.

i keep seeing references to gixxer front ends for older guzzis and i'm tempted to scout the wrecker for something suitable for my t3. the thing that holds me back is that i know shit-all about rake angles and suspension and the like. i should listen to that voice in my head that says "you're way out of your depth here bucko."

The tweed thingie is pure after thought and sucks, imo.

yeah, its a fetish object and they are scottish ...using the local wool and all... so - i cut them some slack on that one.

The brakes are likely delinked.

would have to be for the dirt.

Not a bad idea for a scrambler.

or a fauxbler.

The bike needs a bit of contrasting color, too.

yeah, i am not at all fond of tear drop shaped tanks. never liked 'em. i like the black on black thing but a bit of yellow or orange somewhere wouldn't go amiss.

R3~
'97 1100Sporti
'76 850T3

"You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter."
--- Anonymous

pete roper

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 09:01:21 PM »
There is something truly perverse about taking something that started out life as a turd and then wasting a lot of time, money and effort to turn it into........a turd!

Bizarre!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 09:01:21 PM »

Online Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 09:30:02 PM »
You can't screw up a Florida or a Nevada no matter how hard you try. This " Flying Haggis" is not to my taste, but it's still an improvement.
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline Lumpy Idle

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 01:35:47 AM »
This " Flying Haggis" is not to my taste

hah! 'flying Haggis" nice one.
ry
'97 1100Sporti
'76 850T3

--- Anonymous

Offline frozengoose

• To eaches his onus...
  • Gosling
    • smiles from nowhere
  • Location: Just a little ways past Fairbanks, Alaska on the locally world famous Chena Hot Springs Road
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 03:57:23 PM »
there are some aspects of this i like and others i could do without - which is par for the course with these things.  again i must state that you cannot merely throw knobbies on a bike and call it a scrambler. it must have the requisite bars and upswept pipes.

https://www.pipeburn.com/home/2019/06/03/the-flying-scotsman-moto-guzzi-scrambler.html

i like the blacked-out engine and the overall lack of chrome. the harris tweed pouch is something new. there is a definite sense of craftsmanship in this build and while its not my sorta thing i can respect the work that went into it...   but pipe wrap...really?
There is something truly perverse about taking something that started out life as a turd and then wasting a lot of time, money and effort to turn it into........a turd!

Bizarre!

I think it takes more than wide bars, high pipes, and knobbies to make a decent off road/scrambles bike. The trend of pipeburn, at least since I've been reading it, is to highlight customs that derive from fairly mundane origins, small displacement street bikes made into cafe racers or larger bikes, BMW's and Guzzi's, and even Sporster's into the quasi-scramblers. I wonder how many are actually ridden that way, my guess is they're mainly show bikes, and if ridden at all, never leave pavement.
Big Jon

Two old Guzzi's (V65 & T), 250E CZ, and 6 happy huskies.

Well, I've got a baby, she's a bad motorcycle
Brrooom-pa-pa-pa, pa-pa-pa-pa-paw
When we ride together, all through the night
She's got a real wild machine and it's out of sight
She goes brrooom-pa-pa-pa, paw-paw, motorcycle
Jerry Zee

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 05:02:13 PM »
I may be wrong but in the reading of the article I get the sense that he has not designed it as a scrambler but something to shred the narrow winding and sometimes shitty surfaced roads of Scotland, hence the tires chosen.

Don't like the tweed side covers but the overall look is way better than the cruiser.

I see that the forks (that's gotta be an improvement) have a custom triple clamp on top, presumably to turn the rake/trail in to something more like a road bike.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here