Author Topic: Circle lightening ?  (Read 2721 times)

oldbike54

Circle lightening ?
« on: May 28, 2019, 11:18:21 PM »
 Just saw something I've never witnessed before . A bolt of lightening that formed a circle  :shocked: Anyone know what to call this , is it unusual ? Lived in a part of the country that has lots of T storms for 60 years .

Dusty

Online Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
Re: Circle lightening ?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 12:04:29 AM »
You mean ball lightning?

1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Moto

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 12:14:40 AM »
Just saw something I've never witnessed before . A bolt of lightening that formed a circle  :shocked: Anyone know what to call this , is it unusual ? Lived in a part of the country that has lots of T storms for 60 years .

Dusty

Dusty,

Searching for circle lightning (no "e") brings up some possible examples, like:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/photos/lightning-cloud-ground/

and

There is a gap at the bottom of the first example.

I don't remember seeing anything too much like a circle myself.

Moto

Offline Rick in WNY

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 07:23:01 AM »
Pretty sure I've seen that circular lightning before... and no, it's not ball lightning, I've seen that too, and it's completely different.

My take on it... we, human beings, don't know near as much about Mother Nature as we think we do.
Guzzi Owner since May 20, 2017
  2004 California Titanium

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 07:23:01 AM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 08:00:04 AM »
Dusty,

Searching for circle lightning (no "e") brings up some possible examples, like:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/photos/lightning-cloud-ground/

and

There is a gap at the bottom of the first example.

I don't remember seeing anything too much like a circle myself.

Moto

That is close , it was really brief , started out straight going North to South then formed an almost perfect circle traveling upwards in a clockwise direction , like a lariat , didn't see any cloud to ground energy  . There is an area to the West and slightly South from our porch that is visible thru the trees that seems to always contain a lot of lightning during any approaching storm  . Have timed the flash to sound time , it is about 20 miles , which places it near a small town named Twin Hills . No idea if there is a connection , maybe I should do some research , or maybe not , might be better if it remains a mystery of Mother Nature .

Pretty sure I've seen that circular lightning before... and no, it's not ball lightning, I've seen that too, and it's completely different.

My take on it... we, human beings, don't know near as much about Mother Nature as we think we do.

I agree .

Dusty

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 08:11:22 AM »
Those look great, hope to see one in my lifetime (from a distance  :azn:)
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 08:52:57 AM »
What you're seeing is an opening in the time/space continuum. The space pirates will be at your door soon. :evil:

John Henry

oldbike54

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 09:05:08 AM »
What you're seeing is an opening in the time/space continuum. The space pirates will be at your door soon. :evil:

John Henry

They have already been here , their leader was disappointed , all they found was a slightly scruffy dog with an even scruffier human .

Dusty

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 09:07:07 AM »
I've seen a circular rainbow out the canopy of my airplane.  :thumb:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 09:08:43 AM »
They have already been here , their leader was disappointed , all they found was a slightly scruffy dog with an even scruffier human .

Dusty

Whew! Dusty saves the world from invasion..  :bow:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

oldbike54

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 09:15:28 AM »
Whew! Dusty saves the world from invasion..  :bow:

You're welcome  :grin:

One thing that needs to be cleared up , never once did they say "take us to your leader" , apparently they had been watching old episodes of I love Lucy , and thought that her character represented mankind , which is really a fairly accurate observation  :shocked: :huh:

Dusty

Online John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2019, 09:40:44 AM »
I have video of lightening that was created by fireworks.  I showed the video to a local t.v. weather station an

d the weather guy said it happens.  He said that the air has to be extremely dry to cause the static electricity to form the lightening. 

oldbike54

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2019, 10:11:49 AM »
 ^^^That; amazing John .

Dusty

Offline dguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sorry, I'm woke so I'll be quiet.
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2019, 10:34:52 AM »
When it spells words is when you have to worry, or maybe thats one of them?

Careful for photo shopped stuff...
'03 EVT
'87 Cagiva
'72 Commando
'71 Commando
'90 Miata
'16 Mustang

oldbike54

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2019, 10:44:17 AM »
When it spells words is when you have to worry, or maybe thats one of them?

Careful for photo shopped stuff...

So this morning when I saw the words "Moto Guzzi" in a lightning bolt it was an octopus delusion ?

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2019, 10:47:24 AM »
Strange weather yesterday.  We had several tornadoes on radar that never materialized in person.   According to radar the storms were headed in my direction but we never got rain, it fact the sun was shining in the incoming direction (the storms did go north).

This is the opposite of the tornados that smashed EL Reno on Saturday, where radar didn't pick up the rotation until the storms quickly formed and hit the ground and disappeared. 

The oddest thing yesterday was helicopter video of the clouds coming from the ground and going into the sky.  The weatherman said the moisture was being drawn from the trees and that he'd never seen that before.

Bev and I put our important papers in the storm cellar, waited for the storms to come, and then went out to enjoy our 42nd Anniversary not late for the reservation. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Moto

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2019, 11:04:31 AM »
How about THIS ONE? A lightning bolt shaped like the state of Wisconsin! Photo taken in Wisconsin Friday night, said to be a message from the late Bart Starr, from The Beyond.

The photographer reported it seemed like a spiral, which makes more sense than an actual circle.

Moto

Source: today's Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:  https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/local/wisconsin/2019/06/03/wisconsin-shaped-lightning-bolt-captured-amateur-photographer/1333371001/

oldbike54

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2019, 11:21:10 AM »
How about THIS ONE? A lightning bolt shaped like the state of Wisconsin! Photo taken in Wisconsin Friday night, said to be a message from the late Bart Starr, from The Beyond.

The photographer reported it seemed like a spiral, which makes more sense than an actual circle.

Moto

Source: today's Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:  https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/local/wisconsin/2019/06/03/wisconsin-shaped-lightning-bolt-captured-amateur-photographer/1333371001/

That is very similar  :thumb: The entire event only lasted maybe one second , so while it was very distinct , it isn't like I had much to study it . Thanks Moto , first image I've seen of this type of lightening .

Dusty

Moto

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2019, 11:42:14 AM »
That is very similar  :thumb: The entire event only lasted maybe one second , so while it was very distinct , it isn't like I had much to study it . Thanks Moto , first image I've seen of this type of lightening .

Dusty

:thumb:  "For camera junkies or lightning nerds (or both), Zimmer's photo was taken at F5.6 for 21 seconds, ISO 50."  Could be fun to try this sort of photography.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2019, 03:22:27 PM »
 Not too much lightning here just north of the Finger Lakes in NY. Where I grew up near NYC lighning storrms were common in the summer...One time in Colorado Springs years ago I what ever it is that races along power transmission lines like a ball of fire..
  Dusty and others in the tornado zones, does a nasty storm with lightning come before tornados....

oldbike54

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2019, 04:08:18 PM »
Not too much lightning here just north of the Finger Lakes in NY. Where I grew up near NYC lighning storrms were common in the summer...One time in Colorado Springs years ago I what ever it is that races along power transmission lines like a ball of fire..
  Dusty and others in the tornado zones, does a nasty storm with lightning come before tornados....

Tony , yes , lightening and high winds always accompany tornadoes , although as one is forming often times the area directly around the funnel becomes eerily calm . Tornadoes are formed by wind shear , where a cold air mass is bumping into a warm air mass , as the two air masses begin swirling around each other the twisting motion results in a spin up .

Dusty

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2019, 09:11:17 AM »
My old friend Paul (RIP) said he was flying a light twin and was hit with St. Elmo's fire. It hit one wing, went through the cockpit, and was gone.  :shocked: No damage.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2019, 09:43:52 AM »
I’m wondering if, because the lightning will take the path of highest conductivity, ie least resistance (not necessarily the shortest), is it just the ionisation of that localised portion of the atmosphere  that renders it visible ?
Higher dust content containing Iron or Carbon in higher quantity than surrounds ?
Without that strike rendering the atmosphere “visible”, we’d never have known it’s characteristics.
An old instructor of mine once said to me...
“If you could see the atmosphere, you’d maybe think twice about flying in it...”
BTW..
He later died by his own hand in a car.....
(I never could get the two concepts to mesh.)

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2019, 04:49:40 PM »

MD80s always seemed to attract lightning in flight. I spent many an afternoon burnishing the lesser strikes on the aluminium skin. Bigger ones need drilled out and a rivet installed in the hole with sealant. Big strikes require a patch.  Well, looks like they are an ion magnet on the ground as well.... :grin:   
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here