Author Topic: Value of a low mileage 2016 Eldorado?  (Read 3035 times)

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
Re: Value of a low mileage 2016 Eldorado?
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2019, 09:11:32 AM »
A 1400 in today's large displacement cruiser range is clearly in the middleweight range of something like 900 to 1400. Sure the magazines compare a 1400 Guzzi to larger displacement motorcycles because that's all Guzzi has to offer for a comparison. Sadly too many of the comparisons I've read have the Guzzi's running well behind the competition. Yes, I know, a 750cc was a 'big' bike in decades past. That just isn't the case in the 2019 cruiser market.

But in a market where the big bikes are in the 107" to 2300cc range, a 1400 falls a bit short in engine size. Yes, I know, the 1400 is very peppy. I've ridden them many times at this point. Again, I know, an R6 can spank a big engined cruiser as well. Apples and oranges. If you're going to play in the large displacement cruiser/tourer range, have a large displacement engine to start with. Or look at it this way, the 1400 Guzzi is at the top of their class in a field of 900cc to 1300cc bikes from the four Japanese manufacturers.

Many on this site panned BMW for their forthcoming 1800 boxer twin. There are currently 5 models planned around that engine. I suspect if BMW prices them competitively against rivals like H-D and Polaris Indian they could do quite well. I only wish Piaggio would allow their designers to produce their own 1800 Moto Guzzi v twin version. Make it a dry sump to lower the engine in the frame a few inches while they're at it. A lower center of gravity would be another nice benefit.

I posted it before and I'll post it again now. Piaggio should deliver a complete 1400 engine/transmission along with a rear drive unit to the graduating class of designers at the Passadena School of Art and Design. Let the students determine everything else like swingarm length, frame geometry, wheel base etc and I suspect they'd come up with some gorgeous designs that with some tweeking could be production ready. Then again, there would have to be a much larger market for beautiful Moto Guzzi motorcycles.

IMHO, the current Moto Guzzi Eldorado is as beautiful a motorcycle as I've ever seen from Moto Guzzi. My first Guzzi was a 1977 Convert and my last a 2009 California Vintage so I think I qualify as someone who's been paying attention to Moto Guzzi for several decades now. So, why don't they sell in much higher numbers? Is it engine size alone? No, not by my book. Moto Guzzi advertising and their dealer network have been discussed repeatedly on this first orum since the forum first started. The bottom line in North America at least is that after the brand being around for nearly 100 years, not enough people know about it.
You may be right mark but there may be an add on factor. Many new first time Guzzi buyers get  discouraged very soon after getting their Guzzi and many times justified in their disgust. Most of these buyers simply will not return to this market, unlike dummies like me😂 all jokes aside, my buddies on this forum and my personal mechanic is the only reason I have been able to keep ridding my beloved Moto Guzzi. 👍

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Value of a low mileage 2016 Eldorado?
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2019, 09:43:35 AM »
Dan,

You are correct sir. The bikes simply have to work as designed from the get go. And if they don't, there needs to be a dealer nearby who gets supported by the manufacturer as needed. My current bike is the first Victory I've ever owned. Since I was new to the brand when I bought it I also bought the extended warranty. It was only $360 for an additional 3 years and covered everything but the normal wear items. At 11K miles I needed that warranty as the rear head had a porous spot and needed to be replaced. It never leaked or dripped a drop of oil. A Victory tuner noticed a dime sized moist spot between the valve cover and the head gasket when he was installing aftermarket cams and a few other performance items. Polaris quickly and without effort on the dealer or my part covered everything 100%. I didn't even have to pay a deductible.

In nearly 69K miles, the only other time my Victory has been back to a shop is for tires. So far it's been 100% reliable. Sadder yet for a Moto Guzzi owner or a prospective owner is that even though Polaris killed off the Victory brand a couple years ago, servicing dealers are plentiful as are outlets for parts. Every Victory dealer and/or technician I've ever talked to had the same thought, if they had to make a living servicing Victory motorcycles they'd never remain in business.

But as I get older and if my wife one day decides she isn't really interested in riding any longer, I'll likely downsize (in weight and engine size) to a smaller motorcycle. If Moto Guzzi has something I like I'd not hesitate to buy another one. A steel frame Victory is also an excellent option as a smaller/lighter bike but with the same big 106" engine.

Recently there was a guy trying to sell an absolutely gorgeous 2014 black Victory Boardwalk with only 2300 miles on it. He had a factory windshield, saddlebags and even a cover as well. He started at $6800, didn't get any interest and then went to $6000. I'm just not ready for a smaller bike at this time or I would have bought that beautiful Boardwalk. Then put the Victory Judge mag wheels on it along with a pair of Victory ape handlebars. Of course then I'd have to do everything I've already done with my current Victory to enhance the performance of the Boardwalk. I know I can't leave the factory performance as it is so that starts a whole new money train of parts needed. But I trust there will be deals a plenty when I'm ready. 

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here