Author Topic: Removing Tekno bag mounts  (Read 2457 times)

Offline BMWDavid

• Hatchling
Removing Tekno bag mounts
« on: July 11, 2015, 07:56:00 AM »
I recently purchased a 2003 V11 LeMans. It has the Tekno bag mounts installed. There is a broken weld on one of the mounts that I will need to address. Meanwhile I want to remove both sides and ride bike w/o the bags/mounts.

Question...it appears that the rear fender and muffler mountings can use current hardware when bag mounts are removed. Can I use the existing hex head screw on the upper passenger/muffler hanger after I remove spacer? I did not get bike with original hardware prior to having the bags installed.

Any advise on these mounts much appreciated.

I know...I need to post pictures of the bike. Will do soon!

Thanks

2002 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans
2003 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans
2005 Honda XR650L
2007 Buell XB12Ss
2014 Yamaha FJR 1300es
Southwest Indiana

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Removing Tekno bag mounts
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 05:37:17 PM »
I recently purchased a 2003 V11 LeMans. It has the Tekno bag mounts installed. There is a broken weld on one of the mounts that I will need to address. Meanwhile I want to remove both sides and ride bike w/o the bags/mounts.

Question...it appears that the rear fender and muffler mountings can use current hardware when bag mounts are removed. Can I use the existing hex head screw on the upper passenger/muffler hanger after I remove spacer? I did not get bike with original hardware prior to having the bags installed.

Any advise on these mounts much appreciated.

I know...I need to post pictures of the bike. Will do soon!

Thanks

Hi, David.

Wow, didn't you just go from no Guzzis directly to 2?   :grin:   It's not unusual to to start acquiring additional Guzzis, goodness knows, but you work fast!  Or maybe I'm mistaken?

I have never had my Techno bags off, but agree that it appears that the same hardware can be used. 

You'll probably get great help here, but for this particular Guzzi, you might also want to try:

V11lemans.com

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Offline BMWDavid

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 06:47:48 PM »
Hi, David.

Wow, didn't you just go from no Guzzis directly to 2?   :grin:   It's not unusual to to start acquiring additional Guzzis, goodness knows, but you work fast!  Or maybe I'm mistaken?

I have never had my Techno bags off, but agree that it appears that the same hardware can be used. 

You'll probably get great help here, but for this particular Guzzi, you might also want to try:

V11lemans.com

Cheers,
Shaun

Ha-Yes I work fast. Went from zero Guzzi's to two in three weeks. Making up for never having any of these unique bikes.
I almost bought a V11 new back in 2003 but with dealers so far away and all I just kind of let them get away. Anyway bought my first V11 (2002) last month (June) and its a nice rider. But I wanted to see if I could get one that was almost like new.  Started searching Craigslist in every city as far as I was willing to drive to. Found my second one near Atlanta. Its a 2003 LeMans just about new condition with 3175 miles. Came with the Ti kit, some extra carbon fiber pieces and the Tekno bags.

Probably sell my 2002 soon. I'm active on V11Lemans.com also.

2005 Honda XR650L
2007 Buell XB12Ss
2014 Yamaha FJR 1300es
Southwest Indiana

Offline Moto Fugazzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waiting on a sign from God, or a nod from hell.
    • Griso
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 07:18:56 PM »
I took the Tekno bags off my V11S and used the same hardware. A local welder charged me 12 American dollars and did it while I waited. He also complained about the powder coating, and then started talking about aliens, and how he used to weld for NASA back in the day. His work was excellent..
Ken
Ken
2004 V11 Cafe Sport
2009 V7C White
2007 Griso Black-Sold
1978 V50 II Blue-Sold

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 07:18:56 PM »

Offline BMWDavid

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 07:31:06 PM »
I took the Tekno bags off my V11S and used the same hardware. A local welder charged me 12 American dollars and did it while I waited. He also complained about the powder coating, and then started talking about aliens, and how he used to weld for NASA back in the day. His work was excellent..
Ken

I just removed the mounts. The hardware (bolts & screws) work but are a bit long. I looked at Harpers site and the two allen (hex socket) bolts that go through the hanger are no longer available. Also the two screws that hold the rear part to the fender are also a bit long now. It works but I'd like to make it correct.

Once I get the broken weld fixed...not sure if I'll put these back on. Bike looks clean w/o the mounts and I don't think I'll ride the V11 in a way that I'd need the bags.
2005 Honda XR650L
2007 Buell XB12Ss
2014 Yamaha FJR 1300es
Southwest Indiana

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 11:13:17 PM »

Ha-Yes I work fast. Went from zero Guzzi's to two in three weeks. Making up for never having any of these unique bikes.
I almost bought a V11 new back in 2003 but with dealers so far away and all I just kind of let them get away. Anyway bought my first V11 (2002) last month (June) and its a nice rider. But I wanted to see if I could get one that was almost like new.  Started searching Craigslist in every city as far as I was willing to drive to. Found my second one near Atlanta. Its a 2003 LeMans just about new condition with 3175 miles. Came with the Ti kit, some extra carbon fiber pieces and the Tekno bags.

Probably sell my 2002 soon. I'm active on V11Lemans.com also.

Sounds good, David.  Welcome to the club!  Guzzis have a tendency to get under your skin, so don't be surprised if you find yourself wanting another.

Nice find on the 2003!  My first Guzzi (and the gateway to my current obsession) was also a beautiful, low mileage, 2003 V11 Le Mans.  I found it online with a private party in Florida, with about 5000 miles on it, and it was obvious that it had been meticulously cared for.  I chose to do a fly-and-ride to pick it up, and had a fantastic time riding it back to Toronto over the next three days.  By the time I arrived, we had truly bonded, and I was sold on the marque.  5 years later, not much has changed -- I took her out for a good blast today, and reminded myself just how great a choice I made!

Here's a picture of it when I bought it:

One thing you can expect is that the ITI instruments will fail.  I replaced the speedo with a new one (in KMs!), but I know it's only a matter of time before that fails, too.  When that happens, I'm going to go for a Speedhut GPS speedo and tach.

Cheers,
Shaun

« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 12:11:08 AM by smdl »
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Offline BMWDavid

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 08:44:16 AM »
Shaun-Wow...your bike is just like mine with the bag mounts! What exhaust pipes are those? Even though my bike came with the Ti kit (in box-not installed) except the Ti ECM which is installed. I like the looks of carbon fiber mufflers better.

Yeah, these bikes are really talking to me. I just love the rawness and mechanical feel of the V11. This two cylinder v-twin engine with two valves and push rods feels way better than it has any right to.

I do understand the only real weak spot is the ITI speedo. Like you I'll most likely go with a Speedhut package.

David

2005 Honda XR650L
2007 Buell XB12Ss
2014 Yamaha FJR 1300es
Southwest Indiana

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 11:31:08 AM »
Hi, David.

The previous owner indicated that the exhaust is FBF, and these mufflers sound glorious!  Not harsh or overly loud in any way -- just deep, authoritative and mellow.  Highly recommended!

I'm not sure how well the sound would be picked up, by I would be happy to take a quick video of the bike running, if that would help.

Early on, I did purchase a Stucchi crossover, and picked up a spare ECU that I was going to mess with, but the bike just runs so well, that I have no real desire to change anything.  I did also purchase a set of the Ti pipes from Moto International when they were clearing out stock, but the FBF units just sound and look so good, that I decided not to.  So, I sold them, and put the proceeds towards my Eldo project.

From what I hear, the Ti pipes sound great, but are apparently somewhat louder.  They look incredibly nice on the bike, and I don't think you would have any difficulty selling them to fund a set of carbon cans.

The other thing you should purchase and carry with you is the shift pawl return spring, as these are know to go.  Overall, I think you did well to go with the '03, as the majority of the bugs were worked out by then. 

Other life-savers for me were the MPH bar risers, and the Motobits pegs/controls.

Cheers,
Shaun

'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Offline BMWDavid

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 01:59:28 PM »
Shaun,
I've heard from others that the FBF pipes sound really nice. I just checked the FBF web site and I'm not seeing anything for the V11. I'll give them a call Monday to see if they still carry the carbon cans for the V11.

I have a couple of extra shift pawl springs on hand. They came with my '02. I'm going to try and stay with the stock clip ons and stock pegs. I can ride upwards of 75-80 miles without much effort. Since this is a typical ride length for me I should be OK for now.

David
2005 Honda XR650L
2007 Buell XB12Ss
2014 Yamaha FJR 1300es
Southwest Indiana

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here