Author Topic: t3 deep v oil pan  (Read 4163 times)

Offline beezagrot

• New Egg
t3 deep v oil pan
« on: July 12, 2015, 06:17:33 AM »
just acquired a deep v oil pan,has external filter facing front of bike.should I fill with 3 litres as stated in owners manual or 3litres plus the amount the filter holds?does this sump take the stock t3 filter,if not what is recommended?thanks

Offline ratguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
    • road kill
Re: t3 deep v oil pan
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 06:59:35 AM »
just acquired a deep v oil pan,has external filter facing front of bike.should I fill with 3 litres as stated in owners manual or 3litres plus the amount the filter holds?does this sump take the stock t3 filter,if not what is recommended?thanks
Post a pic. If like mine, it will take close to 5 quarts. Fill as usual to the normal dipstick position. If I remember right, there is a harlie/Fram filter that fits it. I can look at mine later this week.
JB
John Boettcher
Wonder Lake, IL

"I'll quit riding when they pry the handgrips out of my cold dead fingers"

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 07:36:48 AM »
You can use the same filter, just screw in the adater from old oil pan.

The idea is that you can have more oil, so fill into normal dipstick position.
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 11:12:44 AM »
I disagree, but don't take it personally.  My *opinion* is that a deep sump/sump spacer is supposed to use the same 3 liters as normal.  When the home office upgraded the BB sump with a spacer, and later made the one-piece deep sump they didn't increase the specified volume.

The deep sump drops the surface of the oil away from the frothing action of the crankshaft.  It's the combination of the crank spinning very close to the oil and the varying volume of air in the crankcase (as the pistons come and go) that pumps oil out of engines and causes breather/overflow problems.  The sump is supposed to help solve that.

The old VW aircooled engine ran on three quarts of 30w (variable grades were discouraged for some reason).  If an enclosed 1600cc aircooled was ok with that amount, it should be sufficient for our V-twins.

$0.02

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 11:12:44 AM »

Offline travelingbyguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • God hates a coward
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 11:31:29 AM »
As long as the pickup is in the bottom of the pan, three quarts is three quarts. Yes?
73 Eldorado
80 Sp
85 Cal II
97 1100Sport
08 1200 Sport AKA:Sweet Leaf
I'm not really drowning; I can see the beach from here.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 11:55:47 AM »
I think the logic is that the engine is oil-cooled.  So if three quarts are good, 5 should be better.  After all, a lot of cars run 4 or 5 quarts, and they depend on oil for cooling less than we do.  It's a reasonable way to think about it, when you think about it, and if it wasn't for the combination of a wet sump and the variable case pressures/air volumes of the V-twin, using the space for more oil would be an advantage.

Offline beezagrot

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 03:41:27 PM »
thanks for replies,seems like 3litres minimum but filling to normal dipstick level ok,so maybe 3.5 to 4 litres may give the benefit of more oil and still increase the space between crankshaft and oil surface.as for filter, what brand is recognised as most suitable.

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 05:14:28 PM »
You can use it as you like, or to increase oil volume, or case pressure reliever. Case pressure is more a problem when you start to rev it high. Like I do with the daytona on the racetrack. Then I run it upto 9000rpm with those 100mm pistons, that moves a lot of air inside.
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Online grebmrof

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 06:13:58 PM »
I had one of those sumps on an SP sidecar outfit that I had.  If I remember correctly, I started off with 3 quarts of oil, saw where it fell on the dipstick and then I think I ran 3.5 or at most 4 quarts, but never more.  I also never felt comfortable with the filter exposed to a stone being flung up into the filter - I ended up making a little alloy shield to protect it.  The sump was a beautiful piece of alloy.
'22 Royal Enfield Int650
'08 Triumph Bonneville T100

canuck750

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 10:20:34 PM »
I got this one from MG Cycle, filter is in the center of the sump and recessed flush with the bottom of the pan. can't get smacked by road debris

As far as I know it takes 3 litres.

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68_162&products_id=4586

Vasco DG

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 01:20:30 AM »
V-sump is overkill on a T3!

Have you checked that your barrels have been replaced? That would worry me far more than oil capacity. Most crankcase spacers are there for increasing crankcase rather than oil volume. Three and a half litres is more than adequate for any big block!

Pete

Offline beezagrot

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 03:54:17 AM »
I did look at getting the g&g type sump but got the deep v, although used is in excellent condition and near half cost of new,i do have a gilardoni kit ready to fit,also have frame rail with big side stand and went for a police solo seat.also considering replacing timing chain tensioner any advise appreciated, thanks again

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here