Author Topic: Today's route from Sidney, NY to Lancaster, PA  (Read 2213 times)

Offline ratguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
    • road kill
Today's route from Sidney, NY to Lancaster, PA
« on: July 12, 2015, 06:54:00 AM »
This latest work trip has netted me 1700 paid miles ($971 paid, $140 spent in fuel) this past week not including about 300 out of the way miles.
Today I go to Lancaster to work Monday, then home. I am stopping in Centralia along the way to see the old still burning underground coal from 1964? green1000s took me there a couple years back.
JB

« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 06:54:27 AM by ratguzzi »
John Boettcher
Wonder Lake, IL

"I'll quit riding when they pry the handgrips out of my cold dead fingers"

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Today's route from Sidney, NY to Lancaster, PA
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 08:27:19 PM »
This latest work trip has netted me 1700 paid miles ($971 paid, $140 spent in fuel) this past week not including about 300 out of the way miles.
Today I go to Lancaster to work Monday, then home. I am stopping in Centralia along the way to see the old still burning underground coal from 1964? green1000s took me there a couple years back.
JB

I wonder, on a motorcycle, whether the $0.51 per mile really covers depreciation and operating expenses.

Gas 40 MPG $3.25/gal = .08/mile

Tires $400 every 6500 miles = .07/mile

Oil and fluids $40 every 5000 miles = about .01/mile

New clutch $400 every 40,000 miles = .01/mile

New bike $6000 every 60,000 miles = .10/mile.

Maybe it does cover it for a bike.   Seems like bikes cost more to operate these days than cars, what with cars getting 30 MPG and going 200K miles between spark plug changes .... ?

Doesn't count the fun factor tho.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline ratguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
    • road kill
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 09:00:22 PM »
I wonder, on a motorcycle, whether the $0.51 per mile really covers depreciation and operating expenses.

Gas 40 MPG $3.25/gal = .08/mile

Tires $400 every 6500 miles = .07/mile

Oil and fluids $40 every 5000 miles = about .01/mile

New clutch $400 every 40,000 miles = .01/mile

New bike $6000 every 60,000 miles = .10/mile.

Maybe it does cover it for a bike.   Seems like bikes cost more to operate these days than cars, what with cars getting 30 MPG and going 200K miles between spark plug changes .... ?

Doesn't count the fun factor tho.

Lannis

Well, I pay about $300/set of tires for that bike and have around 7000k on them and they still look ok. I usually get 100 to 150k per clutch so not sure about that. But yeah, good oil, gear lube changes, etc. Remember, I still get my base $37/hr pay too!!
JB
John Boettcher
Wonder Lake, IL

"I'll quit riding when they pry the handgrips out of my cold dead fingers"

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 05:57:04 AM »
Lannis, my ole friend. You ain't adding in the fun factor. And comfort as I can stretch my arms and legs and sit up on the bike. Pull into a cafe on a bike and most of the time folks will start talking to you. A pickup truck just makes you another bubba.

JB. You use the original GPS. (Grease Pencil System.) Works for us also.
When you coming back to visit?

Sorry to waste peoples time with this post. Now back to the emetic steel cut oats thread. :whip2:

Tex

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 05:57:04 AM »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 11:59:26 AM »
Lannis, my ole friend. You ain't adding in the fun factor. .....
Tex

Well, I DID mention the "fun factor" but didn't know how to put a price on it.   Maybe it's one of those "Priceless!" things like in the commercial ....

I took the bike on several business trips ... I'm not sure they knew they were paying for a motorcycle trip, and I suspect if I'd looked hard enough at the corporate policy, it would have disallowed it, but no harm no foul I always say ...

One problem is, if it's a "White Collar" thing where you have to wear a suit or a coat and tie to make a presentation or meet a customer or something, it can be hard on a long wet ride to have anything to wear that's suitable - nice suits don't "crush" very well into an Ortlieb or a pannier or whatever.

Other than that, the bike is a great way to go - mixing "business with pleasure" isn't always possible.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here