Author Topic: Officer the helmet is full coverage and Snell certified. What do you mean it  (Read 10132 times)

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
Snell says all Snell helmets meet DOT recommendations. 

http://www.smf.org/docs/articles/dot

I like the last line on this Snell article,"Without our sticker, it's purely a gamble that the helmet meets any standard at all."   What a cheap shot!

I've crash tested both Snell & DOT helmets and they all protected my noggin' as advertised.   It seems to me any mfg. that sold a non DOT helmet as if it was a DOT helmet and the rider(or his family) wearing it got hurt could sue the mfg. if it could be proven the helmet was inferior to DOT standards when new.

Offline drums4money

• Gaggle Hero

I like the last line on this Snell article,"Without our sticker, it's purely a gamble that the helmet meets any standard at all."   What a cheap shot!

I've crash tested both Snell & DOT helmets and they all protected my noggin' as advertised.   It seems to me any mfg. that sold a non DOT helmet as if it was a DOT helmet and the rider(or his family) wearing it got hurt could sue the mfg. if it could be proven the helmet was inferior to DOT standards when new.

"Cheap shot" I like it. 

I recall the article a few years ago in one of the cycle rags that challenged the "standards" and seemed to imply that some of the inexpensive DOT only test samples were able to dissipate energy more effectively that the Snell standard at the time.  Since then, the Snell evaluation criteria have changed.

Here's some of the article(s) & fallout - it's good reading.

http://jalopnik.com/5582380/how-the-truth-about-motorcycle-helmets-got-a-journalist-fired

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/27/automobiles/27SNELL.html?_r=0

« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 06:34:03 PM by drums4money »
hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing...liar

1200 Sport , Monster S2R, MV Agusta B3 800

Old School Audio:
http://oldschoolaudio.wix.com/headphones

dilligaf

With just the DOT sticker, it's purely a gamble that the helmet meets any standard at all.  How does that work for you?  :boozing:
Matt

Rough Edge racing

The organizations controlling the racing I do, ECTA, SCTA, only accept the latest Snell rating and  or the European equivalent...

Wildguzzi.com

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
The organizations controlling the racing I do, ECTA, SCTA, only accept the latest Snell rating and  or the European equivalent...

Which makes sense doesn't it.

Isn't the gist of the articles about Snell vs. Dot that the Snell rating was designed for racing, where the chance of a harder or repeated impact is greater, necessitating a harder shell?

It's just that the research seemed to suggest that an unintended consequence of the standard is that it may transmit more force from a single impact to the brain.

At least that's my basic understanding of the controversy, no?

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

dilligaf

For me the Snell sticker means someone other than the manufacture has certified the helmet.  :boozing:
Matt

Penderic

They are gonna need really BIG ugly stickers that stand out!

Maybe an flashing green light on top will be the next logical step.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
Nolan helmets (DOT) are not Snell approved and Casey Stoner,  Moto GP world champion has always raced wearing 1.   According to some here anyone who rides outside the USA must be a fool since they don't have a Snell sticker on their helmet.  :cheesy:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 01:04:24 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
I don't think anyone here believes that DOT helmets are unsafe.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 03:17:58 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
For me the Snell sticker means someone other than the manufacture has certified the helmet.  :boozing:
Matt

And that's all I need.   For most of the things that I use that have a safety component to them, I don't even have that.   I trust the reputation of the manufacturer, which might be dodgy, who knows, but we all do it anyway ...

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline drums4money

• Gaggle Hero
I have a Nolan & it's probably my favorite.  DOT yes / Snell no.  I was told at one time that Snell did not certify any modular helmets.  Maybe that's changed.

One of the articles mentioned that should a helmet carrying the DOT certification be challenged for any reason and found not to meet the standard, that the manufacturer was liable @ $5,000 per unit for each helmet of that model produced.  So while the onus is on the manufacturer, there was significant motivation to ensure that their products remain compliant. 

Heck- my company even pays to certify that we've documented the complete chain of custody of certain harvested materials.  While it's also "the honor system" the liability for failing to do so keeps us on a damn tight straight & narrow.  There's too much to risk to screw around with it.

hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing...liar

Old School Audio:

dilligaf

Actually if a DOT helmet is found to be nom complaint DOT sends them a letter and tells them to correct it.  The mfg can appeal and continue to sell the helmet during the appeals process.  Sadly, USDOT relays on the mfg to do the right thing and does very little testing. DOT 218 is a joke as USDOT's enforcement.  Let the buyer beware = DOT 218.  :boozing:
Natt

Penderic

Some helmets fail because their straps dont hold the helmet tight and others have failed due to the location of the DOT sticker being incorrect.

Easy to remove helmet = for a reason.

Other safety issues, like ease of removal from an accident victim are often not considered by the rider....

« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 05:11:40 PM by Penderic »

Offline drums4money

• Gaggle Hero
Actually if a DOT helmet is found to be nom complaint DOT sends them a letter and tells them to correct it.  The mfg can appeal and continue to sell the helmet during the appeals process.  Sadly, USDOT relays on the mfg to do the right thing and does very little testing. DOT 218 is a joke as USDOT's enforcement.  Let the buyer beware = DOT 218.  :boozing:
Natt

I don't disagree.  DOT relies on the mfg to subscribe to the testing standards.  Buyer beware.  My RXQ is the most plush can I've ever put on my noggin - Snell & DOT.  I still prefer the Nolan for convenience.  It seems there's a potentially lucrative career to be had enforcing the penalty that's expressed for failing to voluntarily meet & maintain the standard.  Now if it's the govt's preference NOT to enforce the penalty for non-compliance in favor of sending a friendly "get it together" letter, then that's a different thing altogether.  You'd think that a litigious commune like the US of A would be hot for any chance to sue the $#!t out of someone at every opportunity. Especially if that someone's a big greedy company ripe for the suing.

From NHTSA- http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/FAQ%20Site/pages/page3.html#Q12

12. What are NHTSA�s penalties for importing non-compliant helmets or failing to cooperate with an investigation?

A person may not manufacture for sale, sell, offer for sale, introduce or deliver for introduction in interstate commerce, or import into the United States, any motorcycle helmet for on-road use unless the helmet complies with FMVSS No. 218. A person that violates this regulation is liable to the United States Government for a civil penalty of not more than $5,000 for each violation. A separate violation exists for each motorcycle helmet that does not comply with the standard. The maximum penalty for a related series of violations is $16,050,000.

Furthermore, NHTSA is authorized to conduct any investigation that may be necessary to enforce Chapter 301 of Title 49, U.S. Code and requires a manufacturer to make reports to NHTSA if requested. A manufacturer's failure to respond promptly and fully to such a request could subject the manufacturer to civil penalties pursuant to 49 U.S.C. � 30165 or lead to an action for injunctive relief pursuant to 49 U.S.C. � 30163. Under 49 U.S.C. � 30165, NHTSA is authorized to impose penalties up to $5,000 per day for failure to provide requested information in accordance with 49 U.S.C. � 30166.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 05:38:23 PM by drums4money »

Old School Audio:

Offline old as dirt 2

• Hatchling
It is aimed at those "beanie" helmets worn to comply with state laws w/o really wearing a helmet. A co-worker of mine went down while wearing one of those and it didn't end well.
and that co-worker is part of Darwins kids.
2013 Norge
2008 MP3 500
bunch of other stuff that is long gone.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here