Author Topic: Harley (Cruiser) Flat Track Racing, What could possibly go wrong? (NGC)  (Read 25870 times)

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Harley (Cruiser) Flat Track Racing, What could possibly go wrong? (NGC)
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2014, 11:31:25 PM »
I am speechless...

Ralph
American Motorcycle Association Expert flat track license holder, 1965-68.
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

oldbike54

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2014, 11:47:31 PM »
I am speechless...

Ralph
American Motorcycle Association Expert flat track license holder, 1965-68.

A member of the "White Plates" , cool  ;-T

Dusty

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2014, 12:17:52 AM »

Dusty

I don't know what "White Plates" refers to, but I did notice the entire audience seemed to be white as a bed sheet.   Looks like a very Red Neck party. 
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

oldbike54

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2014, 12:23:31 AM »
I don't know what "White Plates" refers to, but I did notice the entire audience seemed to be white as a bed sheet.   Looks like a very Red Neck party. 

Our boy Ralph was a "white plate" flat tracker , raced with the big boys  ;-T

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2014, 12:23:31 AM »

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2014, 10:51:33 AM »
Hmm,

Rent a Harley, with their full coverage insurance and go flat trackin'.

Tobit
Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2014, 08:28:32 PM »

Dusty

Right on, Dusty.  I am a Charter Member, White Plate Flat Trackers Association.  (Pre-1970 White Plate holders.)  There was very little money in professional motorcycle racing and we lived a somewhat hardscrabble existence. After 1970, the Japanese factories poured wall-to-wall money into racing and racers no longer traveled in old delivery vans or sedans pulling trailers or slept at the track. I had to end racing after several months in hospital on two occasions.  I still miss it almost 50 years later.  It really gets to you at that level.

There's a monument to us at Sturgis, in front of the Chamber of Commerce.  My name's on it.  One year, about 1990, I told my wife we were coming back to California (after visiting her family in Wisconsin) via South Dakota, to see a monument to famous men.  She expected Mount Rushmore.  I took her to Sturgis and showed her my name on the monument.  True story.  We are still married, by the way.

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2017 Honda CB-500F

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2014, 08:35:32 PM »
Pro racing was very strictly regulated.  One had to have "sportsman" (non-professional) experience prior to applying for a Novice (green number plates) license.  If the rider won or placed high enough to amass 20 points (a win was 5 points, 2d 3, 3d 2 and 4th1) he would advance to "Amateur" (actually a journeyman professional) status (Yellow number plates).  If the rider then won or placed high enough to amass 40 points, the following year and thereafter he was classified an Expert and rode with white number plates.  Novices got 15% of the purse; Amateurs got 25% and Experts competed for 60% of the purse.  Some purses were for as little as $300 back in the early-mid 1960s so it was a good thing gas was cheap or we'd never have gotten home!

Ralph
Ralph

2017 Honda CB-500F

oldbike54

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2014, 10:12:44 PM »
Ralph ,
Your name always rang a bell with me , just couldn't quite figure out why , then yesterday it all came clear . Have followed flat track and the old class C racing since the mid 60's , yeah , was just a pup , but even then it stirred my blood . Nixon , Romero , Mann , were heroes to me , and now so are you . Well met and kudos to you Sir  ;-T

Dusty

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2014, 10:56:27 PM »
Ralph ,
Your name always rang a bell with me , just couldn't quite figure out why , then yesterday it all came clear . Have followed flat track and the old class C racing since the mid 60's , yeah , was just a pup , but even then it stirred my blood . Nixon , Romero , Mann , were heroes to me , and now so are you . Well met and kudos to you Sir  ;-T

Dusty

I rode out of the same Triumph shop with Gary in 1965.  He was a factory rider, top of the heap.  I was a Junior at that time, set to advance to Expert in 1966.  I was always in awe of him, for good reason.  Gary did not suffer fools easily.  I remained silent and out of his way.  The top Experts were from another planet.  The things they could do with a motorcycle....and make it look so easy!
Ralph

2017 Honda CB-500F

oldbike54

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2014, 11:12:30 PM »
I rode out of the same Triumph shop with Gary in 1965.  He was a factory rider, top of the heap.  I was a Junior at that time, set to advance to Expert in 1966.  I was always in awe of him, for good reason.  Gary did not suffer fools easily.  I remained silent and out of his way.  The top Experts were from another planet.  The things they could do with a motorcycle....and make it look so easy!

True about the other planet thing . However if you qualified for an expert plate , that tells me that you were no slouch . Kind of like being in the NBA , the guy sitting at the end of the bench is still one hell of a basketball player.
Us mere mortals never get the chance to even sit on the bench . A friend of mine , John Jeffries , rode the national circuit as a Junior in the late 60's early 70's , and recently won a couple of VDTRA 500 CC national titles . Tells some funny stories about Gary .

Dusty

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2014, 06:50:58 AM »
I believe that Roland Sands used to run AMA 250 GP back in the day when I was running Pro-Twins...

I love this video, I'd love to do it if my left ankle wasn't junk. However I wouldn't take my 2013 Harley Road King. But the risk is huge, early in the video, that one fellow heads straight for the unprotected wall. All that said, everyone has the right to do stupid sh*t... Only question is, is this a worthy cause? Who are we to speak for another? Short of war to protect ones family, is any endeavor that gets you off the couch worth the risk? Is risk a fair trade for entertainment. Look around you. Don't all of us here ride motorcycles? You do know how it can turn to total poop in a nano-second despite your best attempts, no?

Teddy Roosevelt -
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

and

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
  • You can't put a price on Worthlessness.
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2014, 07:14:18 AM »
I believe that Roland Sands used to run AMA 250 GP back in the day when I was running Pro-Twins...

I love this video, I'd love to do it if my left ankle wasn't junk. However I wouldn't take my 2013 Harley Road King. But the risk is huge, early in the video, that one fellow heads straight for the unprotected wall. All that said, everyone has the right to do stupid sh*t... Only question is, is this a worthy cause? Who are we to speak for another? Short of war to protect ones family, is any endeavor that gets you off the couch worth the risk? Is risk a fair trade for entertainment. Look around you. Don't all of us here ride motorcycles? You do know how it can turn to total poop in a nano-second despite your best attempts, no?

Teddy Roosevelt -
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

and

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

:+1   ;-T
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2014, 08:00:34 AM »

Teddy Roosevelt -

and

+2

oldbike54

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2014, 09:12:45 AM »
Yeah , but you have to admit some of these guys are just silly  :D

Dusty

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2014, 09:52:03 AM »
Yeah , but you have to admit some of these guys are just silly  :D

Dusty

they are silly, however it is their right.
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

oldbike54

« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2014, 12:39:53 PM »
they are silly, however it is their right.

As it is for all of us , which is fortunate for me  :D

Dusty

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2014, 12:46:23 PM »
What scares me is that they ride the roads also.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2014, 12:50:18 PM »
After they eliminated all the first corner crashers there were a couple of good riders. But......what were they thinking...flat track the bike you rode there.  ??? Some will need to truck them home.

Not really a problem, since they were all probably trailered there anyway!   ~;
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2014, 12:52:46 PM »
Reminds me of one of my Granny's favorite sayings, "Fun for the feeble-minded..."
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Rotten Ralph

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2014, 03:01:25 PM »

Did you ride in the East Ralph? I worked for a BSA dealer in the late 50s early 60s. Davy Jones tuned my Triumph (a road bike) since he was friends with the dealer (Joe DiSimone). I'm fairly certain that he tuned for Gary.

Drop me a PM if that stuff sounds familiar.
Rotten Ralph

Never trust a dog to guard your food

03 HD RK / TLE car
65 BMW R69S
60 BSA Gold Star
13 Moto Guzzi V7 Special

oldbike54

« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2014, 03:33:33 PM »
Nixon was another Okie that left for a better opportunity , he lived and raced out of Baltimore . Never met the man , but Dick Mann spoke highly of him , enough for me .

Dusty

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2014, 08:30:02 PM »
Teddy Roosevelt -

and

Pretty sure Teddy Roosevelt wasn't speaking to a bunch of bozo's with sleeveless T-shirts and skid-lids.

Darwin, maybe...

“An American monkey, after getting drunk on brandy, would never touch it again, and thus is much wiser than most men.”
― Charles Darwin
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 08:44:20 PM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2014, 08:44:33 PM »

Teddy Roosevelt -

and

Amen. :bow :bow :bow  TR is one of my favorite men.
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2014, 08:51:39 PM »
I cannot please everyone,
nor can I live anothers life.
What would bring one to their knees,
is mine to do as I please.
If my foolish foil,
leads me off this mortal coil,
then I give my soul to God,
for he gave me life,
to live as I choose.
Not to judge those that do not as I,
only to do what is right,
and what I please,
as I see as cool.
To some I'm a fool,
to others a tool.
To those that  I love,
those that love me,
let me be,
simply to be me.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:26:46 PM by Stormtruck2 »
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2014, 10:06:26 PM »
Nixon was another Okie that left for a better opportunity , he lived and raced out of Baltimore . Never met the man , but Dick Mann spoke highly of him , enough for me .

Dusty

the closest I'll come to being fast (the really fast guys always seem so short)...

Offline drums4money

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2014, 10:08:22 PM »
That's entertainment!  If they'd only play that Bennie Hill -Yakety'sax - it would be as good as a monkey in a cowboy costume riding a border collie at the rodeo.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 10:12:34 PM by drums4money »
hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing...liar

1200 Sport , Monster S2R, MV Agusta B3 800

Old School Audio:
http://oldschoolaudio.wix.com/headphones

oldbike54

« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2014, 10:21:18 PM »
the closest I'll come to being fast (the really fast guys always seem so short)...

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Deke , the only fast big guy that I have ever met is Dave Roper  :D Yeah , Dick Mann , KR , even Jeff Smith, are vertically challenged , not to mention some of the 5 ft nothing guys in MX  :o
 Great pic  ;-T

Dusty

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2014, 10:22:21 PM »
I really pity most of the old guys who are now regretting not living when they were young. Some I do not pity.

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2015, 01:09:41 AM »
Did you ride in the East Ralph? I worked for a BSA dealer in the late 50s early 60s. Davy Jones tuned my Triumph (a road bike) since he was friends with the dealer (Joe DiSimone). I'm fairly certain that he tuned for Gary.

Drop me a PM if that stuff sounds familiar.
Rotten Ralph

Done

the other Ralph
Ralph

2017 Honda CB-500F

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2015, 06:36:13 AM »
That's entertainment!  If they'd only play that Bennie Hill -Yakety'sax - it would be as good as a monkey in a cowboy costume riding a border collie at the rodeo.

Are you kidding me?   Look at the face of determination on that monkey!   Now that I'd watch.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here