Author Topic: Stornello Crankshaft issues ?  (Read 178 times)

Offline 5154guzzi

• Gosling
    • Team Subtle Crowbar
Stornello Crankshaft issues ?
« on: April 20, 2024, 12:34:04 PM »
I was curious if any members have had or have heard of the 2016 Stornello`s sharing the same crankshaft/thrust washer issues as some of the other 2016 V7 II ? I`d guess that the factory used the same exact engine in the whole series, but hadn`t heard of any Stornellos being affected.  Thanks !  Always admired these, a really clean,  low mile example popped up nearby.

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
Re: Stornello Crankshaft issues ?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2024, 12:44:15 PM »
From my readings on here and Todd’s GuzziTech forums, it seems to have been mostly Stones that were affected. Can’t recall if any Specials or Racers were included or not, but I feel like we would’ve heard more about the Stornellos/Racers since they’re more rare.

Just an FYI: a few of us—at least Jim Hamlin and myself —have seen the insides of these engines that suffered the crankshaft issue (I’m not a pro, but I did take apart one to use for parts on a rebuild). We both found that the issue lie with the clutch-side flange on the crankshaft being milled back too far, leading to excessive endplay, allowing the thrust washer to slip out and lead to even more excessive back-and-forth. The thought we had was not so much that the thrust washer was missing—rather, the washers slipped out and maybe even got mangled to bits before drowning in the swampy sump.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 12:46:38 PM by Dirk_S »
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline 5154guzzi

• Gosling
    • Team Subtle Crowbar
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2024, 04:18:12 PM »
Thanks Dirk, Mark  at MGC had one customer with a Racer with the same issue, that`s the only non-Stone that I know of so far. 

Online Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2024, 05:25:37 PM »
It's a problem that can affect any small bloc if that thrust washer wears though.A friends v 50 2 needed an oversize one being made and that was about 3 decades ago now.
It's quite simple to diagnose : pull the clutch in at idle and the revs change as it puts pressure on the flywheel and therefor the crank.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2024, 05:25:37 PM »

Harper's Moto Guzzi : Go Ride, Break Parts, Call me!
Harper's Moto Guzzi. Where we still answer the phone, use the highest quality parts, and also do Transmission, rear drive, and carb rebuilds fast. Call us at 816.697.3411 and get your problems resolved.
http://www.harpermoto.com
Advertise Here

Mother Road Motorsports is Tulsa's exclusive Moto Guzzi dealer
Oklahoma's premier Moto Guzzi, Aprilia, Vespa and now Ducati dealer
Great service, Great selection, Friendly Environment! Come see us on Route 66.
Advertise Here