Author Topic: Lee Davis is buying a V9  (Read 9903 times)

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: V9
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2017, 12:48:56 PM »
I understood that the V9 is a completely new motor, neither a big block nor a small block. :undecided:

ya...that is why it also makes me quite curious...

They "claim" it is a re-designed small block...but unless road test reports are provided, I can't tell its better or on par...

guess only time will tell...
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Lee Davis is buying a V9
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2017, 03:34:21 PM »
Where are people reading "completely" new or the like?

I mean maybe I've been making assumptions, but I thought we'd been told it had new hemi heads (as opposed to heron) but it was basically another smallblock.

That doesn't mean it directly shares parts with the previous smallblocks (though it might), but shares the same basic design where the smallblock and big blocks diverge.

But I haven't confirmed this with exploded views and parts or service manuals yet, so if someone has I'm all ears.

Looks to me like it's smallblock, albeit with a larger block, lots of redesigned components and "completely new" heads/upper end.

NEW 850 TWIN-CYLINDER MOTO GUZZI ENGINE

The V9 Roamer and the V9 Bobber have a new power unit, as usual built at the Moto Guzzi plant in Mandello del Largo. This is of course a 90° transverse V-twin air and oil cooled engine, a set-up used in all current Moto Guzzi engines, albeit with different engine capacities and performance, which provides excellent riding dynamics and a unique sound. It was developed with the explicit aim of maximising torque and elasticity, key aspects for ensuring riding pleasure and on road fun. Starting from the bottom of the engine, the new aluminium crankcase stiffened at the key points, has a new oil pan and an inertia calibrated crankshaft for liveliness and the correct engine braking. Inside the lubrication system is designed to dispose of the greater heat capacity and reduce power absorption to the benefit of both performance and fuel consumption. The ventilation system reduces power loss due to pumping within the crank chambers and a new low flow oil pump that absorbs less power. The oil pump suction pipe is new as is the bypass valve. There are new piston cooling oil jets with check valve and flow management. The alternator cover is also new and now includes the blow-by gas output.

In the upper part of the engine, the thermodynamics are completely new. Aluminium heads, pistons and cylinders are designed to make the most of the engine's characteristics. Its cubic capacity is provided by bore and stroke values of 84x77 mm. Distribution is controlled by a pushrod system and there are two valves per cylinder set at an incline in the head (and no longer parallel, as on the V7 II engine). The fuel supply uses a one-piece Marelli electronic injection system. The electronic engine control unit is new. Of note is the presence in the entrance heads of the auxiliary air system, which, combined with the three-way catalytic converter, the double oxygen sensor and the total redesign of the engine, bring the twin 850 Moto Guzzi into compliance with EU4 standards. The unit is capable of 62 Nm of torque at just 3,000 revs/min, with a maximum power of 55 HP at 6,250 r/min, figures ​​that show Moto Guzzi's commitment to achieving high levels of torque even at low rpms. This engine boasts surprising a character and responsiveness, which contribute to a really exciting riding experience. A version with the power limited to 35 kW is available, in line with the restrictions of an A2 licence and ideal for new Guzzi riders, who can also enjoy a record low total weight and the general ease of riding of both V9s.

Another innovative aspect of the 850 Moto Guzzi engine is the 170 mm diameter single dry plate clutch, providing a perfect transmission of torque and power with no jerkiness or hesitation. This increases robustness and reliability over time and decreases the load on the handlebar lever, for better controllability and riding comfort. The six-speed gearbox is new, precise and with a soft clutch, which benefits from unprecedented ratios that make the most of the torque and engine power. The final transmission is carried out by a new double-jointed drive shaft offset by the increased size and the new bevel gear, which provides solid and reliable management of the powerful torque supplied by the twin engine. The cast aluminium swingarm has been designed and sized to support engine performance, as well as to accommodate the new 150 mm tyre.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 03:43:14 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2017, 05:42:43 PM »
Nanutarra is only 275k - perhaps the servo was closed, perhaps he ran into some dirt diversions or he was.heavy on the throttle (understandable; there's not much between these two). Karatha to Port Hedland was 295, but I seemed to have made it with 600ml spare - must have ridden conservatively.
Where we went wrong was that the night before we did about 30 odd k's and headed off the following morning without topping up. I was on a Triumph Sprint ST and we were on about 125-130 k's which found the BM out with about 8 k's short of the next stop. I can't recall where it was but I milked some from the Trumpy and the rest is history. Other than that stuff up, the Beemer would not have needed to carry fuel.

Offline dlapierre

• Gosling
    • Habitat Farm
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2017, 07:20:45 PM »
Just wondering what route you intend to take to get onto the Cassier Highway, otherwise known as the Deese Lake Road (#37)? #97 to Prince George from which you take #16 to get onto the Cassier Highway goes right past me (Falkland, BC).

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2017, 07:20:45 PM »

Offline Lee Davis

• Gosling
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2017, 08:00:19 PM »
Aren't you near Vernon? I have actually ridden through your town on one of my trips. I had planned on going Banff, Jasper, Prince George, Smithers, etc to the Cassiar this time. Last did the trip in October of 2015, and managed to stay ahead of the weather.
Loopframe rebuilder and Erotic Farmer

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2017, 09:32:26 PM »
Where we went wrong was that the night before we did about 30 odd k's and headed off the following morning without topping up. I was on a Triumph Sprint ST and we were on about 125-130 k's which found the BM out with about 8 k's short of the next stop. I can't recall where it was but I milked some from the Trumpy and the rest is history. Other than that stuff up, the Beemer would not have needed to carry fuel.

That's all it takes. We called in to Coral Bay for lunch, & I sailed blithely past the servos there, to pause at the turn off back to the highway with the realisation I wouldn't make it. 80km to Exmouth & back, then to join the big tanked V7 patiently enjoying splendid isolation in the middle of nowhere closer to Nanutarra.

On a previous trip (on the V-Twin Enfield) I swapped bikes a while with a Spint ST somewhere north of Roebuck. An astoundingly magnificent bike for that road - handled well, power to burn, comfortable. Very easy to be travelling way too fast with no effort at all. Impressive. (Apologies for the thread-jack).
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2017, 11:59:43 PM »
Where are people reading "completely" new or the like?

I mean maybe I've been making assumptions, but I thought we'd been told it had new hemi heads (as opposed to heron) but it was basically another smallblock.
Looks to me like it's smallblock, albeit with a larger block, lots of redesigned components and "completely new" heads/upper end.

Kev, I got that it was "a completely new motor" of the Moto Guzzi web site. , <shrug>

To me it looked like a smallblock as well. I seem to remember when I got mine back in 2004 that 750 was supposed to be as big as the smallblock could go.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2017, 05:27:03 AM »
Kev, I got that it was "a completely new motor" of the Moto Guzzi web site. , <shrug>

To me it looked like a smallblock as well. I seem to remember when I got mine back in 2004 that 750 was supposed to be as big as the smallblock could go.
Yeah that's why there is a new block.

I guess it's all semantics, but comes down to the minutia of which motor it shares more design elements with.

It certainly seems to be sized and marketed more like the previous smallblock.

I'm guessing it shares things like how the crankshaft is accessed, and I'm guessing it's a cartridge oil filter not a spin on, etc.

The motorcyclist link is a pretty sloppy article in someways, but it's written from the point of view that it's a heavily updated smallblock:

Moto Guzzi has played up the “authenticity” of its newest urban machine, drawing on the marque’s 95-year history, but in that effort almost managed to cover up the fact that the small-block engine has received a greater number of improvements in one go than it’s had since it was introduced in 1977
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2017, 02:51:50 PM »
I enjoyed the illustrations (I only read it for the pictures) in the article. That one of the final drive explained the two uni joints in the drive shaft nicely - it caused some perplexity/confusion when first read about, but now it's obvious & appears a neat solution to a perceived problem (though I myself have no desire for wider wheels). No doubt we shall see how well it works out in the longer term.

Offline dlapierre

• Gosling
    • Habitat Farm
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2017, 04:26:10 PM »
Aren't you near Vernon? I have actually ridden through your town on one of my trips. I had planned on going Banff, Jasper, Prince George, Smithers, etc to the Cassiar this time. Last did the trip in October of 2015, and managed to stay ahead of the weather.

That's right. Near Vernon.

Offline Wild Bill Guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2017, 08:30:06 PM »
L e e,

When you rode your V9 home, what was the comfortable cruising speed.

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2017, 03:04:45 PM »
What is the range on a V9 tank? Not estimates, somebody who has one, please!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Offline Lee Davis

• Gosling
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2017, 08:30:30 AM »
I am home with my new V9 and Stelvio, and my first impressions of both bikes are extremely positive. I really don't have a sense of the mileage on the V9 yet, but, with the 4 gallon tank, it is certainly fairly low (of no consequence to me). It seemed to perform well at whatever speed I was running, but I had a serious complication: a brutal headwind that was 35 to 40 mph, off the forward (port) quarter. The wind was exhausting, and the direction wanted to push my left leg out away from the bike. I spent most of the time aching to keep my leg in, or with both legs splayed out. Of course, there was no way to get a sense of performance issues (not the fault of the bike). When I reached home after 240 miles, I was exhausted! I kept it around 65 to 70 mph in order to do the break-in, but I have no idea what RPM I was running, for I haven't figured out the display. Everything is in kilometers and centigrade on the display, and I couldn't get rpms to come up... I will have to figure out how to change that when my owners manual arrives (it is being mailed to me). So, as of right now, I am of no use as far as a review is concerned, except to say that the 'feel' and responsiveness is wonderful. It is certainly a snappy bike, and fun to run through the paces.
    The Stelvio (a 2016 1200 NTX) is a bit different, of course, It brought up MPH on the display, rpms, but still some metric readouts that I will have to sort out. I found that between 65 and 70 mph, there was a definite rocker/tappet 'buzz' that disappeared above 70-72 mph. I had no headwind this time and so the ride was very pleasant. I have no negative impressions of either bike at this point, well except for my tired butt. I guess this poor old ass just cannot handle sitting in the saddle for very long any more, on any bike. I rode a BMW R1150RT for several years and noticed that the sitting position on that bike was not quite right... I constantly had the feeling that I was being inched forward to the tank, but that position always felt a little wrong, like I was choking up too close and my center of gravity was too far forward. The Stelvio had none of that... sitting position is very comfortable, and I never had the urge to inch back or forward.
    I shall try to give some feedback in the upcoming weeks as I sort all of this out... especially on the V9.
Loopframe rebuilder and Erotic Farmer

Offline Adan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2017, 12:53:32 PM »
My V9 Bobber averages about 50 mpg on the open road, by which I mean a typical gently curving B road with few stops or slow downs.  This is with 1600 miles on it (I know, I need to ride more . . . damn kids). 

The on board computer overestimates mileage by about 8%.  I've determined this through 4 comparisons of refill volume/mileage as compared to the "AVG mpg" readout.

Riding on the freeway at a constant 55 mph in 6th gear, the dash tells me I'm getting about 70 mpg.  Adjusted down 8% is 65 mpg. Not too surprising, as rpms are very low.  So if you had to cross some serious gaps between Arizona filling stations, you could hope for maybe a 230-240 mile range?  I'd be nervous, but in theory it looks possible. 

V9 Bobber
Zero S

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2017, 03:57:01 PM »
That sounds awesome I have a Hyper 1100 motard that has been known to run out at 92 miles. I mean out! Try that on for size in West Texas where all gas stops are 100+ miles away! Of course if I go 65-70 I have pulled 145

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2017, 08:01:40 PM »
Who can ride an American freeway at a constant 55mph?  No, really?
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Adan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2017, 10:06:52 AM »

The point (in case you're serious) is to provide a common reference point that reflects something like how you could cover the maximum distance in a reasonable period of time.  I think BMW lists this stat explicity for all their bikes.  When Triumph says it's Street Twin gets 68 mpg or whatever, I suspect it's implied. 

For me, the reality would only matte if I knew I has a great expanse to cross before the next gas stop.  In my current life, regrettably, this never happens.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 10:07:38 AM by Adan »
V9 Bobber
Zero S

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2017, 10:49:54 AM »

Secondary roads...55mph is fine...out west, on the interstates, if you cannot safely cruise at 70-75mph...you will get run over!  :shocked: :huh: :rolleyes:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here