Author Topic: The First "Wave".  (Read 6494 times)

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
The First "Wave".
« on: August 19, 2017, 01:46:44 PM »
The Hubby, and I usually go for breakfast, and a short backroad ride on Saturday mornings.  We had yet to come across other riders on these brief jaunts, as they are very early in the morning.  Today we decided to go a couple of miles farther than normal, and try a new eatery.  Turns out the website was inaccurate, and they weren't open.  However, on the way back to our regular spot, we got laughed at a light by a couple of officers in a cruiser, and snubbed by a Harley.  I waved at the cops, in a cheery fashion, so they laughed harder, and waved back.  I guess they thought those two scooter riders were nuts.   
:copcar:

After breakfast, we decided to head up South Mountain, the largest municipal park in the U.S..  In phoenix proper, twisties are far, and few between, and I expected to see a couple fellow riders, and a ton of bicyclists.  About two miles before the park entrance, we got our first official "wave" ever from a gal (?) on a UJM.  I happily returned the gesture.  A mile from the entrance, we were ignored by several more Harleys, then immediately waved at by a large sport bike contingent.  Again, I reciprocated.  Several more bikes waved, before we came to a stop to discuss our nest move.  Once stopped, I asked my husband if he noticed the first wave, or any of them for that matter, as he hadn't returned a one.  Turns out, he missed the first one, and saw some others, but didn't know what it was all about.  I gave him a quick primer, and off we went up SoMo.  Me thinks this short, but very beautifulride should become a regular thing for us. 

Some believe the wave is idiocy, others wave only to their own "kind".  Then there's the group that will wave only to "real" motorcycles, not scooters, trikes, mopeds, or what have you.  I belong to the "gonna wave, whether you do or not" group. 

It's all good.   :thumb:   

:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

oldbike54

Re: The First "Wave".
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 01:52:52 PM »
 UH OH , you have no idea the can of worms you've opened  :shocked: :laugh:

I am in the "wave at everyone" camp , but us Okies are weird like that . We wave at farmers on tractors , folks on horses , heck , it doesn't cost anything .

Dusty

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 02:12:22 PM »
I am in the "wave at everyone" camp , but us Okies are weird like that .

Same here, but around here strangers say hello to each other in store parking lots too.  When I'm on my bicycle, I wave at motorcyclists and they usually wave back.  When I'm on a motorcycle, I wave at bicyclists and they usually wave back.  Generally, everyone waves at everyone around here, regardless of brand or type of 2-wheeled vehicle.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline azguzzirep

• Gaggle Hero
  • Gratzi Carlo!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 02:22:35 PM »
My friend, Joe, (ya, I only got one friend )(😊) hikes SoMo every weekend.

When I was dating my wy late wife,, we rode my Guzzi up there. Nice views of the Valley of the Sun!!

Oh, and, I'd wave at a gorilla on a unicycle.  Makes no difference to me!

Tom
Murphy's  Law sucks!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 02:22:35 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 02:23:44 PM »
Same here, but around here strangers say hello to each other in store parking lots too.  When I'm on my bicycle, I wave at motorcyclists and they usually wave back.  When I'm on a motorcycle, I wave at bicyclists and they usually wave back.  Generally, everyone waves at everyone around here, regardless of brand or type of 2-wheeled vehicle.

Yeah , same here . Then again , the "wag your tail and smile" method works everywhere , if nothing else it confuses folks  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 02:28:42 PM »
When we had arrived at S. Mountain's highest lookout point, a grizzled biker dude came over to talk scooters with us.  He said "those little things are fun as $#!+", and when he was in the service, he belonged to a group of hoodlums that rode them everywhere. 

You meet the nicest people on a ___________!

"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Guzzi Gal

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 02:31:19 PM »
Yeah , same here . Then again , the "wag your tail and smile" method works everywhere , if nothing else it confuses folks  :laugh:

Dusty

Ain't that the truth!
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 02:53:38 PM »
I'd also say congrats on riding those things on a hot day up to So Mountain.  We used to have family gatherings up there with Aunts, Uncles and cousins.  A couple of years we had an Easter morning service (uncle and a cousin were ministers).
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 03:19:45 PM »
And......the Metro's made it up the hill???   :grin:  Those are fun!  I still have my 2 stroke Elite.  I'm looking to get another Ruckus.  Ride a moped scooter the right and way and they're loads of fun.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Guzzi Gal

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017, 03:21:13 PM »
My friend, Joe, (ya, I only got one friend )(😊) hikes SoMo every weekend.

When I was dating my wy late wife,, we rode my Guzzi up there. Nice views of the Valley of the Sun!!

Oh, and, I'd wave at a gorilla on a unicycle.  Makes no difference to me!

Tom

I'm sure you have many friends, Tom.  We live a leisurely 5 minuet walk from a trail head, and I used to do a predawn hike every day.  Alas, I've gotten out of the habit.
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Guzzi Gal

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2017, 03:23:05 PM »
And......the Metro's made it up the hill???   :grin:

At a blazing 25 MPH!   :grin:
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 03:34:09 PM »
I'm over on 16th & McDowell, when I'm in town visiting the Thibideaux's.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2017, 11:34:34 PM »
When we had arrived at S. Mountain's highest lookout point, a grizzled biker dude came over to talk scooters with us.  He said "those little things are fun as $#!+", and when he was in the service, he belonged to a group of hoodlums that rode them everywhere. 

You meet the nicest people on a ___________!

LMAO!!! I can picture that!!

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2017, 07:40:08 AM »
I've switched to a no waiting way early flash of a wave way before we meet. Makes them miserable for longer for not waving....its up to them, but my 70s intro to biking was we owned the waves, anyone on two wheels because we were as rare as hens teeth, and by God we had actually had to fix the damn things to get on the road and it was pretty much a miracle of machinery ....these days, not so much

Moped army rules....

imghost
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline Dofin

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2017, 08:30:32 AM »
Smile, greet and wave!!  It's the right thing to do.  Good for the soul and could brighten someone's day.
76' Yamaha RD400
76' Suzuki GT500
89' Honda PC800
15' Guzzi V7 Stone

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2017, 10:04:53 AM »
I always wave at Scooters, mopeds, reverse trikes and sidecars because these people are crazy.  and pot meets kettle

Mark       :bike-037:
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline Lumpy Idle

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2017, 11:56:24 AM »
I've switched to a no waiting way early flash of a wave way before we meet. Makes them miserable for longer for not waving....its up to them, but my 70s intro to biking was we owned the waves, anyone on two wheels because we were as rare as hens teeth,...

imghost

yeah, i'm with chuck here. i started riding on the street in the late 60's and we just waved to everyone on a bike.  there weren't all that many of us and the nod to inclusion seemed like a good thing.  generally the harley guys did not wave back and i learned to stop giving them the nod.  i remember stopping at the bottom of the hill in my neighborhood and a harley guy, wearing a cut, pulled up next to me and said "why don't you get a real bike!" then he roared off.  nowadays i am back to waving at anyone on powered 2 wheels. i leave it to them to figure out their protocols.  i say 'peace on earth, good will toward peoplekind.'
'97 1100Sporti
'76 850T3

"You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter."
--- Anonymous

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2017, 02:06:39 PM »
I'm reasonably sure that there's some riders who are ready to wave as they approach but don't want to look like a dill if you don't respond so they don't. Try waiting 'till the very last moment and flick one, and I reckon they'll respond instantly. Here in Oz, a Harley rider won't wave if he's with his mates, but more often than not, will if he's on his own. You don't have to be Pythagoras to work that one out.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 02:07:19 PM by Huzo »

Offline Neil

• New Egg
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2017, 03:07:17 PM »
Heck,
        I'll wave to almost everybody on 2 powered wheels; and bicycle riders, joggers (whether a pretty young lady or not) gets a thumbs up. Same thumbs up for anyone in a classic vehicle, whether a 60's 'Vette, or a restored pickup. Most of those on motorcycles respond ( mostly seems to be "rice rocket" riders who ignore the greeting). Most of the time the Harley folks will wave. Almost all of the classic vehicle riders will respond with a wave. 
        If they don't wave, no offense taken.  As I see it,  what's the harm in being civilized to one's fellow riders/drivers. Making someone smile isn't a bad thing.

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2017, 03:17:49 PM »
On the ones that didn't wave back. Maybe they were preocupied with something, like traffic.

On my commute, when the traffic is sucky, I'd rather be paying attention to what the cars are doing around me than waving.

Now if it's on an open road, that a different story.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
2007 HD Street Bob

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2017, 03:18:14 PM »
I generally wave at anything two or three wheeled. 80%+ get a wave back. The non-wavers tend to be a small percentage of H-D riders and young crotch rocket riders. With the H-d riders it seems the more "pirate" they are the less likely to wave. I do tend to get more waves overall on the T-3 compared to the Norge. Sometimes I think the T-3 has them perplexed as to what it is and they think the Norge is a BMW.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

oldbike54

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2017, 03:27:14 PM »
 JP , those Harley riders we "let" pass us waved , they did give your T3 a good looking over  :grin:

Dusty

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2017, 03:51:18 PM »
JP , those Harley riders we "let" pass us waved , they did give your T3 a good looking over  :grin:

Dusty

But we could have offered to race them down the five miles dirt road I took you on. I think we would have won. :evil:
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

oldbike54

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2017, 04:18:49 PM »
 :grin:

Dusty

Offline Guzzidad

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2017, 06:07:01 PM »
   Couple of days ago I was riding through a rather remote neighborhood on my EV. I waved at an older guy getting his mail from the box at the street. He responded with a wave back and a BIG smile. Felt good.

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2017, 07:13:09 PM »
Will have kids wave either from a car or sidewalk. Always try to give a good wave back. Positive riding PR never hurts.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline JACoH

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2017, 07:18:06 PM »
I wave at everyone, motorcycle or scooter. Even the Harley guys wave back around here, unless I was on the BV350. Also, the guys with the ape hangers above their shoulders never wave back. There was a guy on a BMW forum posted that he wouldn't wave at a scooter or smaller bike rider, what an ***.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2017, 07:26:50 PM »
The RICHARDS are everywhere.

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2017, 07:28:12 PM »
From JACoH:
Also, the guys with the ape hangers above their shoulders never wave back.

Do they dare let go to wave?
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2017, 07:52:21 PM »
From JACoH:
Do they dare let go to wave?
GliderJohn

I was thinking the same thing!! :evil:
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
2007 HD Street Bob

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here