Author Topic: V85 TT Merged Threadfest  (Read 357035 times)

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
Re: V85 TT Merged Threadfest
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2017, 10:58:45 AM »
Guys, what's with all this negative energy???  [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2017, 10:59:10 AM »
I hope Guzzi is not still chasing BMW!   They have done it for decades and it has almost never been successful.

It is by a far site better than chasing Harley!  (at least on this side of the pond)
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2017, 11:07:40 AM »

What does it matter if that's what BMW did or if doing?

And why would it prevent Guzzi from continuing to produce/pursue bikes that don't make EU4?

I'm not saying Guzzi doesn't need a solution for that, but it doesn't mean they need to ignore the rest of the world which doesn't seem to be heading that way yet.

I wonder what the market is for everything OUTSIDE the EU?

It matters because BMW is successful and perhaps their business model could contribute to a stronger Moto Guzzi. They gotta do something or they will fail again. I'm not sure anybody would step up to bail them out now. Times have changed, todays buyers want ease of ownership, customer support and a good dose of modern technology.

Paul
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing " - Socrates

Paul M. in SW Florida: 318 miles, 11 curves and not a Guzzi dealer in sight!

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2017, 11:42:11 AM »
A retro 850 LeMans on the based on the V9 would be my vote.

IMO, to wear the Le Mans Badge, the bike would need to be at least as powerful as the Griso 8V.  I'd think anything with that moniker would have to perform better than any of it's predecessors. My 2 cents.

My hope would be a big block with liquid cooled heads ala Millepercento BB1, or something along those lines.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 11:56:06 AM by Turin »
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2017, 11:42:11 AM »

Offline AH Fan

• Gaggle Mentor
  • small stable of Italian stuff
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2017, 12:18:10 PM »
If MG matched BMW in this game, their bikes would cost significantly more money in a contest that Moto Guzzi can only lose because the snob factor draws some people to a BMW. A Stelvio NTX costs $15K compared to a GS with bags that comes in at $24K, and a person who is doing a comparison and can afford the BMW will likely buy the BMW.  Does anyone think a $22-23K Stelvio with matched components and horsepower to the GS is going to compete with BMW at that price? Nope.

They would have to come up with a bike that outshines the GS for a lot less money,great reviews, large media coverage and significantly larger dealer network.

Well I have owned and ridden both brands............. For those on here that have also I personally didn't see the value in all that expensive hi maint stuff.......... I'm with the Goose.   :thumb:

Ciao

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2017, 12:21:13 PM »
To attract younger riders it will be a horizontal single, chain drive w/large output alt and big batt to operate all kinds of  gizmo's and most of all social networks. It comes w/a Piaggio land drone that follows it around, just in case you need more crap.
This initially caused a chuckle, then a delayed laugh as I pictured the Piaggio drone chasing around after the motorcycle.  Thanks, Steve!   :boozing:

Bob
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 12:22:26 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Online Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2017, 12:30:50 PM »
IMO, to wear the Le Mans Badge, the bike would need to be at least as powerful as the Griso 8V.  I'd think anything with that moniker would have to perform better than any of it's predecessors. My 2 cents.

My hope would be a big block with liquid cooled heads ala Millepercento BB1, or something along those lines.

I like that but is it not a little close to the shiver? (but better)

These days I struggle to see much I like, even my 1098 which is so so capable, leaves me cold styling wise & wondering why I bought it.

Sorry wandered a bit Off Topic

John

Offline Calijackalbob

• Hatchling
  • The BEST looking Jackal in Singapore.
    • ZDK Elite Karate & Kickboxing
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2017, 12:50:17 PM »

[/quote]

This looks great! (Not my cup of tea, but would appeal to the young crowd, KTM buyers and the like.)

I think Guzzi Needs to produce more models. In reality, one V7 is like any other,.... different colour schemes or slightly different bodywork don't make a V7 anything other than a V7, likewise for the 1400s and the V9s. They're the basically same bikes in different bodywork. I'm not a Stelvio type of guy, but it makes sense to have a tourer in the stable. The Griso will be sorely missed and I'll put in my 2 cents,............ a full fairing sports bike and a half faired rocket would satisfy all the sportsbike nuts, the Le Mans lovers. (Me too!) But at the end of the day, I think Guzzi is being smart with the 1400s and V7s Great touring cruisers and entry level bikes. Aren't they getting good sales in the US? Aren't Guzzi selling more bikes now than they have for years? Won't that have a knock on effect of the company producing more exotic and gorgeous Guzzis in future?

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2017, 01:09:08 PM »
I wasn't clear. The platform doesn't matter, I was focusing on the engine. I included the second pic was to show radiator placement.

1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline Calijackalbob

• Hatchling
  • The BEST looking Jackal in Singapore.
    • ZDK Elite Karate & Kickboxing
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2017, 01:15:30 PM »
................... ... and, personally, I am quite happy that every other bike I see is NOT a Guzzi.
Part of the love of Guzzi ownership is that Guzzis are not as common as muck, like hondas and Harleys. All Guzzis are special BECAUSE they are not commonplace. I get people asking about my Jackal and my Bellagio, people taking photos of them because they are rare. Because they are not common. Because all Guzzis are special. Guzzis are made for Individuals, not fodder for the masses.

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2017, 01:32:08 PM »
...................... and, personally, I am quite happy that every other bike I see is NOT a Guzzi.
Part of the love of Guzzi ownership is that Guzzis are not as common as muck, like hondas and Harleys. All Guzzis are special BECAUSE they are not commonplace. I get people asking about my Jackal and my Bellagio, people taking photos of them because they are rare. Because they are not common. Because all Guzzis are special. Guzzis are made for Individuals, not fodder for the masses.

That's the best looking Jackel I've seen ....... period! 

I think I'd have been a happy if they'd brought the 940 Bellagio into the USA, too, especially if modded as your is (I think.)
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline pikipiki

• Gosling
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2017, 03:15:33 PM »
I expect something sort of a cross between a TT V65 and a kawasaki Versys with an 850 small block with water cooled heads a 19" front wheel. Fat 16" rear (it'll help you balance at a stand still), some questionable design of a fuel tank but at least the foot pegs will be in the right place.

Offline gsp0702

• New Egg
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2017, 03:28:37 PM »
What is evident from the Clan email/article is that yet more V7 versions can be expected, V7 111 Stornello I would guess plus whatever else the brand managers can come up with.

Surprises me that other than V9X Track no specials of that platform yet, unless thats whats on the cards to knock our socks of at the show,

I do wonder if something like the Shiver would sell better with a Guzzi badge and an appropriate name.

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2017, 05:42:48 PM »
The satisfying part for me is none of you jackasses has much to go on except your own dreams and delusions!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 05:43:59 PM by bad Chad »
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2017, 06:12:15 PM »

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2017, 08:18:55 PM »
On the "Clan" Website they're talking about showing something

"....totally new, a world first, that will knock the socks off all Eagle of Mandello fans out there".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That sounds like the kind of phrasing from a marketing department who just wants to go home on a Friday afternoon after a really long lunch and goes fuggit and blindly rolls their face on the keyboard.

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2017, 08:45:15 PM »
It matters because BMW is successful and perhaps their business model could contribute to a stronger Moto Guzzi. They gotta do something or they will fail again. I'm not sure anybody would step up to bail them out now. Times have changed, todays buyers want ease of ownership, customer support and a good dose of modern technology.

Paul

Moto Guzzi spent about a decade copying BMW starting in 2005, initially with the 'Telelever Emulator' equipped Breva 1100, and then with all its BMW-style progeny, e.g. the Norge etc.  That plan failed because BMW is a well funded company that plays by its own rules and has developed a following for techno-German bikes that BMW can build better than Guzzi, because they invented them to utilize what they can do with bikes based on car technology.  In the 2005-on episode, Aprilia copied the R1150R with the 1100 Breva and then shortly after it was introduced BMW introduced the R1200R, a lighter more advanced design that put Guzzi out of the running one year after introducing its new product.  Copying BMW at its own game didn't work in 2005/2006 and it won't work again.

I think what they're doing fairly successfully now with the small blocks represents a lesson learned, because of the Guzzis that Aprilia and then Piaggio developed, the ones that arguably gathered the strongest following were the Griso and the new-version small blocks, neither owing anything to inspiration by BMW...  and in fact BMW is now making a bike which I think owes more than a little to the Griso (the R9T).  While some may gripe that the nuovo V7 and V9 have an archaic chassis and limited power, they are what Piaggio could do with the money now available for R&D, and they sell.  Building on their success with more sophisticated bikes that don't follow anybody will I think work better than anything else they could dream up - as long as they are also functional motorcycles.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 08:56:39 PM by Tusayan »

Offline vintage53

• Gosling
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2017, 09:02:03 PM »
I stumbled across this image. A few months back.
Wishful thinking😱😱

1977 Lemans 1.2 "Project"
2004 V11 Coppa Italia
2010 California Vintage
2021 Vespa 75th Anniversary Primavera 150

Offline vintage53

• Gosling
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2017, 09:02:53 PM »
Wishful thinking😱😱

2004 V11 Coppa Italia
2010 California Vintage

pete roper

« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2017, 09:10:48 PM »
Ah yes! 1990's styling with a badly modified 1960's engine and forks that are stupidly expensive and don't work anywhere apart from a racetrack! Just the sort of genius thinking Guzzi needs right now........

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2017, 09:40:59 PM »
Well, we will see in about 5 days.  I'm hoping all this hoopla is about something more than a 'styling prototype' or similar BS.  Let's see if the new shiny object is something we (I) can buy in the near future...like in '18.  Maybe a smaller/lighter Stelvio so I can trade my V7 in for what I really want.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2017, 10:16:45 PM »
Fuuughettabout it .....
No new anything...
No new big block
No new Le Mans ( maybe just a V7 with Le Mans stickers on it)
No new Stelvio

Keep you old Guzzi and enjoy it .

:boozing:

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2017, 10:24:17 PM »
Wishful thinking😱😱

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2017, 10:40:55 PM »

Paul
Paul I think you might be misunderstanding my point about BMW.

I was responding to the theory the BMW was only producing an air-cooled motor to use up old parts supplies.

My point was it doesn't matter if BMW is actually doing that, there's other reasons why Guzzi could still produce an air-cooled motor or even bring one back.

Other than BMW one of my examples was the Ducati Monster 797, but now they're about to show an 1100cc air-cooled Scrambler. Another case.

I shudder to point to Harley too, but the M8 motor is millions or billions banked on the continued marketability of air-cooled motors.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline pikipiki

• Gosling
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2017, 03:03:01 AM »
Well, we will see in about 5 days.  I'm hoping all this hoopla is about something more than a 'styling prototype' or similar BS.  Let's see if the new shiny object is something we (I) can buy in the near future...like in '18.  Maybe a smaller/lighter Stelvio so I can trade my V7 in for what I really want.

Show starts Tuesday so maybe sooner than that.

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2017, 04:08:13 AM »

Well I have owned and ridden both brands............. For those on here that have also I personally didn't see the value in all that expensive hi maint stuff.......... I'm with the Goose. ....

I agree.  I also have experience with both brands.  For my riding needs, I want a bike that can dependably/reliably run 10-15K miles/year on touring and camping trips and not cost an arm and a leg in repair/maintenance expenses.  It can be like the Stelvio (my previous bike, great bike by the way) with the classic Guzzi visceral feeling (the little "jiggle in the bars") or dead smooth like my current Beemer.  Either way, I'd be happy.
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Offline Pancake

• Gosling
    • www.dominicsnow.com
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2017, 03:59:58 PM »
Wishful thinking😱😱

I think this looks amazing. It's sporty retro cool.
May all beings be happy

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2017, 04:30:19 PM »
Wishful thinking😱😱

It looks like it belongs in a Pixar movie

Offline vintage53

• Gosling
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2017, 06:43:09 PM »
If you build it they will come!     

2004 V11 Coppa Italia
2010 California Vintage

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2017, 06:55:15 PM »
Agreed about the Pixar bike.

And build that LeMansish bike, and they will sell all of 45 units here in NA.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here