General Category > General Discussion

Dedicated GPS/nav device vs cell phone

<< < (11/11)

Motormike:

--- Quote from: LowRyter on January 22, 2022, 06:46:52 PM ---The GPX will import to the phone and display on a Beeline.   I've not mastered GPX or a map maker program.  Is RidewithGPS free?  Can I use it on my computer?

--- End quote ---
The basic version of RidewithGPS is free.  For advanced routing features, you pay a subscription, but I used it for years free before deciding to subscribe.  I prefer it that much.  It started as a bicycle routing app.  For me at least, it is far and away the easiest route planner to use.  I've fooled around with most of them.  The developer is pretty accessible too.  I sent him an email with a question I had about the program and he answered me straight away. 

Mayor_of_BBQ:
I build routes on google maps and then use the google maps app on my iphone.

I am too much of a tech neophyte for anything else.

For a while I tried to follow along with the GPS discussions at ADV but these people are far too advanced for me.

I had a TomTom Rider for a while, god what an annoying piece of crap that was. Crashed w/ broken ribs, stranded, lost, cold, in the rain, flat tire, waiting on tow truck, gear stolen at a trailhead and riding home bare foot....  I have NEVER EVER EVER been as frustrated on a motorcycle trip as I was when trying to use a TomTom Rider GPS.  If I haddn't paid a couple hundred bucks for the thing I would have chucked it in the woods on at least 3 occasions.  I tried with that thing for a month, and then sold it on ebay eventually.

I carry a Rand McNally Gazetteer for NC in my top box and a cell phone in a vibration-damping  holder on my handle bar.  I seem to get anywhere I wanna go.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version