Author Topic: The stupidest thing anyone ever said to you regarding motorcycles  (Read 236293 times)

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
Re: The stupidest thing anyone ever said to you regarding motorcycles
« Reply #240 on: January 09, 2014, 09:42:10 PM »
Are you sure that isn't a fear of Okies . I ain't pretty , but nothing to fear . Laughing here
Dusty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or is it a fear of okra??? :D  They are rather pointy and prickly.  ::) :D
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline lomax

• Gosling
« Reply #241 on: January 09, 2014, 09:47:09 PM »
I actually looked it up but still don't know what it means.

oikophobic  "fear of household appliances, equipment, bathtubs, household chemicals, and other common objects in the home"

;D

Marc
84 R100RS LE, 14 Ducati MTSGT, 18 Desert Sled, 73 850 Commando, 78 CT90, 14 Ural, 74 Eldorado police, 64 R50/2, 13 TR650, 01 DRZ400E, 94 900SS/CR, 77 HD XLCR, 2011 T100, 63 MG Falcone', 75 Ducati 860GT  https://lomaxcm.smugmug.com/

Online nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #242 on: January 09, 2014, 09:55:58 PM »
oik (ɔɪk)
n
1. Brit a person regarded as inferior because ignorant, ill-educated, or lower-class

Hence Oikophobic - fear of the proletariat

Nick

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #243 on: January 09, 2014, 10:12:32 PM »
Not sure where you got that definition Nick, but my psych classes taught me the other definition that Lomax cited.  What many people forget about phobias is that it is an irrational fear. One is rational to feel trepidation about touching a hot stove surface, but it is irrational to fear the stove itself, regardless of heat state.  That is one reason I hate people who oppose homosexuality being called homophobic.  It is a misuse of the term phobia in order to denigrate another. An Oikophobic has an irrational fear of objects normally found in the home. Not all objects, but it could be an appliance, door knobs, tub or shower, or any normal household object.  Hope this helps those that wondered what okiophobic means.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #243 on: January 09, 2014, 10:12:32 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #244 on: January 09, 2014, 10:38:51 PM »
Can also mean a disdain of ones own culture , favoring foreign cultures . Maybe a word of the day thread might help with cabin fever .
Here is mine , crepuscular , the quality of light at dawn or dusk . Not bad for a hillbilly .
Dusty

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #245 on: January 10, 2014, 08:47:13 AM »
Can also mean a disdain of ones own culture , favoring foreign cultures . Maybe a word of the day thread might help with cabin fever .
Here is mine , crepuscular , the quality of light at dawn or dusk . Not bad for a hillbilly .
Dusty

I was understanding that disdain of ones culture and favoring foreign ones was called xenophile, while fearing others and liking only your own was called xenophobic.  Where is a English/Latin major when you need one.  :D 
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Online nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #246 on: January 10, 2014, 09:28:59 AM »
Not sure where you got that definition Nick, but my psych classes taught me the other definition that Lomax cited.  What many people forget about phobias is that it is an irrational fear. One is rational to feel trepidation about touching a hot stove surface, but it is irrational to fear the stove itself, regardless of heat state.  That is one reason I hate people who oppose homosexuality being called homophobic.  It is a misuse of the term phobia in order to denigrate another. An Oikophobic has an irrational fear of objects normally found in the home. Not all objects, but it could be an appliance, door knobs, tub or shower, or any normal household object.  Hope this helps those that wondered what okiophobic means.

I was just playing around with possible interpretations - not doubting the real one.  Great work anyway!  It's cold and snowy here - I have to do something to while away the time.

N

edit- my brother, being a bit of a pompous git, was very fond of the work 'Oik'.  He used it in a derogatory way to describe anyone who wasn't, well....him.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 09:32:20 AM by nick949 »

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #247 on: January 10, 2014, 09:39:36 AM »
Wow, I wake up and find my little show-offy word triggered a bunch of responses.

In fact I was expecting more of a response to my reference to "Celebrity Fit Club."

But to the original thread topic: at a rest stop my son was once asked "his mother knew he was riding a motorcycle," as if it was equivalent to smoking cigarettes or shooting meth.
So his mother, who was riding pillion with him, removed her helmet and said, "It's just fine with her!" That was awesome.
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

mickyvee

« Reply #248 on: January 10, 2014, 10:03:23 AM »
Of course the Brits failed to recognize the shortcomings of their own MC brands in the last century .
( Did he just say that ? Uh oh ! )
Dusty

??? I wasn't knocking HD at all. I owned a Superglide Sport for 6 years and thoroughly enjoyed it. However, I have also owned 40 odd other bikes from a wide range of manufacturers, and mostly enjoyed them all. It was the blinkered attitude of your HD riding brethren that I was commenting on. Oh, and I do apologise for some of the crap bikes we sent you in the late 60's and early 70's. I have had a few and have no desire to repeat the experience!

Offline ScottR

• New Egg
« Reply #249 on: January 10, 2014, 10:56:48 AM »
Got off my EV at the drug store the other day and a nice looking lady parked beside me and said "nice hog".  I didn't argue with her. 
1980 Honda CX500D
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado "Old Douglas"
2002 Moto Guzzi California EV "Talia"

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #250 on: January 10, 2014, 11:28:01 AM »
That reminds me of checking out at the grocery store a few days ago.  I put my helmet on the conveyor next to the head of lettuce I was buying, and a woman behind me in line asked if I was going to buy the helmet.  I replied that I had already done that once, and she said "I heard that."  Sometimes I think we're being hit on.   ;D
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

kirby1923

« Reply #251 on: January 10, 2014, 11:38:52 AM »
Dusty

Not bad that!
mike

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #252 on: January 10, 2014, 02:04:02 PM »
Both true , but oikiophobia has been used to describe a fear of anything in one's own home , and thusly one's home culture . Geez , WG has gone all smart and stuff .
Laughing here
Dusty

Now if we start chatting about mules and donkeys we will be smart asses.  ;) :D  I figured that since I learnd that definition in psych classes that it would be rather limited to mental health acuteness.  now try this one on fer size:

Cunctator: delayer, procrastinator
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline Guzziman

• Hatchling
« Reply #253 on: January 11, 2014, 05:23:12 PM »
Ok, finally had a "dumb question" thrown at me today. I'm at a used car lot looking for a truck and one of the 30ish salesman who is literally 5 feet away from the bike says "What kind of bike is that?"   Sure we've all gotten that one but really? It's a 94' Cali with a large MOTO GUZZI sticker right on the tank. I simply relied, Moto Guzzi and continued to get my gear on. So, as you probably guessed by now, that initial perceptive inquiry was not the dumb question that prompted this post. He precedes to say "Never heard of that bike". No surprise there, but then..........wait for it.........he stares at the bike then says "Is the tank really that big?"  Yep, yes he did. I seriously had no idea what to say, so of course, with an ever so slight tone of sarcasm, I said "No, no it's not". Got and the bike left.  No biggie, they didn't have any Moto Guzzi trucks there anyway. :)

'94 California 1100i
'72 Eldorado (in 1000 pieces)

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #254 on: January 12, 2014, 02:03:20 AM »
  No biggie, they didn't have any Moto Guzzi trucks there anyway. :)

They might have had a Harley Davidson (Ford) :BEER:
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

oldbike54

« Reply #255 on: February 19, 2014, 08:06:35 PM »
Stopped at store on my way home today when a small group of 12 year old boys walked by acting like 12 year old boys . The leader of the group puffs himself up to his full adolescent 4ft 10inches , gets a serious look on his face , and asks , "can I drive it?" I replied , sure , bring money .
So as to not lose face in front of his entourage he proclaims , " I can drive it." Don't think he could begin to understand what he was asking .
Dusty

Sent from a submarine in Oklahoma .

dilligaf

« Reply #256 on: February 19, 2014, 10:53:38 PM »
Right now this is the best I can do and most likely will be the best I can do for years to come.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=67802.0

:BEER:
Matt

oldbike54

The stupidest thing anyone ever said to you regarding motorcycles
« Reply #257 on: February 19, 2014, 11:05:34 PM »
I dunno Matt , the Harley guy who told you it would be ok to carry a child passenger on a Beemer but not a Harley because they are too powerful , well that was pretty stupid .
Dusty

Sent from a submarine in Oklahoma .

dilligaf

« Reply #258 on: February 20, 2014, 06:07:15 AM »
You may be right. I had forgotten about that.   ;D  :BEER:
Matt

oldbear

« Reply #259 on: February 23, 2014, 04:41:34 PM »
A few years ago I had a Yamaha Royal Star Venture (V4 cruiser style tourer).  Two stories:
First:  Harley rider (on a FatBoy) "Whut kinda Harley's that?"
Answer:  It's a Yamaharley

Second:  Goldwing rider "Nice looking bike, seems different than most of the Harleys.."
Answer:  "Thanks, but it looks pretty much like all the other 4 cylinder, water cooled shaft drive Harleys out there"..  (COMPLETELY missed the sarcasm I intended ;D)

BigDave in PA

« Reply #260 on: February 23, 2014, 05:09:42 PM »
Years ago, probably in the mid 80's I had the misfortune of attending a Retreads Rally. The Retreads is a motorcycle club that you have to be 40 or older to join. It's made up of a lot of middle aged men & women that are in a second childhood riding motorcycle that they know nothing about. My brother and I had our Eldorados there and we were instantly bombarded with stupid questions. There were two older guys there on Goldwingebagos asking all about our Guzzis. Some of the questions were "who makes that" "how many cylinders does the engine have". Finally I was asked "Is that water cooled". I answered "only when I ride in the rain". His answer was "oh, I see". They had no clue.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #261 on: February 23, 2014, 05:28:51 PM »
Years ago, probably in the mid 80's I had the misfortune of attending a Retreads Rally. The Retreads is a motorcycle club that you have to be 40 or older to join. It's made up of a lot of middle aged men & women that are in a second childhood riding motorcycle that they know nothing about. My brother and I had our Eldorados there and we were instantly bombarded with stupid questions. There were two older guys there on Goldwingebagos asking all about our Guzzis. Some of the questions were "who makes that" "how many cylinders does the engine have". Finally I was asked "Is that water cooled". I answered "only when I ride in the rain". His answer was "oh, I see". They had no clue.

It's very possible that the Goldthingers don't even know how many cylinders THEIR OWN engine has, or whether it's water-cooled or not.   

I pulled up to the Honda shop the other day on the Guzzi and went in to buy some of that neat Honda cleaning spray and some bits for the helmet.  A loiterer at the counter (my side of the counter  :D) struck up a conversation.   "What kind of bike you got there?"   "It's a Moto Guzzi".   Complete blank stare.   "What brand is it?"   "Well, Moto Guzzi IS a brand.   It's a very old brand from Italy."

"It's pretty quick, huh?"  "Well, not really, not compared to these bikes in here" (nodding toward the lineup of menacing, motivated-looking Hayabusas and the CBR-somethings).  It's more of a touring bike".   Blank stare again.

"But it's pretty quick, huh?"  "Not really meant to be a race bike; fast compared to a car on takeoff, but it's more of a long-legged highway bike."  The familiar stare.

"I'll bet it's pretty quick, though."      I gave up.   "Oh, yeah, it's quick.   One of the quickest on the road!"   

He was happy then.    Stupid questions?  Sure.  But he was just trying to make conversation and pass the time, not trying to one-up me or put my ride down or strut his stuff, so maybe we should have another word than "stupid" for those questions, 'bless their little hearts'.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #262 on: February 23, 2014, 05:45:53 PM »
Oikophobic!!!  Okiophobic!!  REALLY??  How dare you call me that!  I have never been scared of pigs in my life!  ;) :D :D :D :D

Scared of pigs?  Oikophobic means scared of home surroundings.
 You must have been thinking oinkophobic.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Hellgate

Re:
« Reply #263 on: February 23, 2014, 06:51:05 PM »
I'm not sure about stupidest but dumb none the less.

At a popular OKC soda stop. The Harley douche looked at the Stelvio and asked me how on earth I could ride without a back rest.

I had to think for a second to understand what he was saying.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel
« Reply #264 on: February 23, 2014, 06:52:28 PM »
Just the other day.

"What kind of bike do you ride?"

"A Moto Guzzi"

"Did you just make that up?"

;D

oldbike54

« Reply #265 on: March 26, 2014, 10:06:23 AM »
Is that a real Moto Guzzi ? Seriously , a fella just asked that question 2 days ago . Sadly , I have been asked ther same question about the old BMW .Must be lots of forgeries out there . ;D
Dusty

Offline skromfols

• Gosling
« Reply #266 on: March 26, 2014, 12:00:23 PM »
Is that a real Moto Guzzi ? Seriously , a fella just asked that question 2 days ago . Sadly , I have been asked ther same question about the old BMW .Must be lots of forgeries out there . ;D
Dusty

And what is your response?  I can think of some great responses for that.
Stan

98 Valkyrie
08 Triumph America
05 Moto Guzzi Nevada

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #267 on: March 26, 2014, 12:26:33 PM »
BMW makes motorcycles too?

rideerr

« Reply #268 on: March 26, 2014, 01:06:58 PM »
"Gosh, you must be rich if you own a Harley"
I then proceeded to ask the gentleman if he owned a boat, a jet-ski, a four wheeler, a four wheel drive, had a vacation home, if he snow skied, went to sports events and of course he did them all.
I replied that I did not do any of those, but I did have a Harley.
I don't think he understood.

Offline lomax

• Gosling
« Reply #269 on: March 26, 2014, 01:16:39 PM »
BMW makes motorcycles too?

I have gotten that one several times. Makes me laugh.  ;D

Marc
84 R100RS LE, 14 Ducati MTSGT, 18 Desert Sled, 73 850 Commando, 78 CT90, 14 Ural, 74 Eldorado police, 64 R50/2, 13 TR650, 01 DRZ400E, 94 900SS/CR, 77 HD XLCR, 2011 T100, 63 MG Falcone', 75 Ducati 860GT  https://lomaxcm.smugmug.com/

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here