Author Topic: Jacket stuff.  (Read 3271 times)

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
Jacket stuff.
« on: May 10, 2018, 01:48:42 PM »
Anyone here got experience with Merlin and/or Spidi?

My beloved waxed cotton jacket has 40,000 km on it, and it's beat.

I'm looking at the Spidi Wax Worker H2out, or the Merlin Hamstall OR Yoxall.

The Spidi seems to "have it all" but also has the pricetag to match, pushing me towards the Merlin(s).

Would love to hear some firsthand experience.

And no... I am not interested in any Synthetics or leather, thanks. Don't even try to convince me.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 01:50:19 PM by Toecutter »
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
Re: Jacket stuff.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 03:51:17 PM »
Outback cowboy duster should do the trick for you. Keep one  rolled up and tied to my McClellan saddle for years.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 04:42:50 PM by Ncdan »

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 04:15:12 PM »
 :grin: :boozing:

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 04:20:31 PM »
Check out the Sixty Six from Held - very comfortable, though it's a half length jacket, without the extra pockets of the longer ones. Available from Revzilla, alongside some Merlin's, so you'll get some reviews & videos while looking.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 04:20:31 PM »

Bonaventure

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 04:37:48 PM »
Claymore jackets in UK will receive your measurements and custom make/tailor a jacket to your exact dimensions.  Pricey, though. All their stuff is waxed cotton, many styles and lengths.  They have a website.

Offline Buckturgidson

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 10:10:37 PM »
Great deals on ebay, Roland Sands Edwards and Houston jackets.
"It's not your job to be as confused as Nigel." -Spinal Tap.
"Wagner's music is better than it sounds." -Mark Twain

'86 Yamaha SRX-6
'07 Norge, Rosina, the classy one

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 01:17:49 AM »
Claymore jackets in UK will receive your measurements and custom make/tailor a jacket to your exact dimensions.  Pricey, though. All their stuff is waxed cotton, many styles and lengths.  They have a website.

Well what do you know  :shocked:

They're about 50 miles from my home on the "nice" roads!!!
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 11:39:15 AM »
Ncdan, mentioning the word 'duster' makes my blood run cold. Daytona, Speedway blvd. Harley riders, rather than being pirates were then mimicking colonial times herding cattle. 2 up, he decided to cross 6 lanes of traffic. The duster got caught in the driveline. At least one fractured skull + multiple serious injuries. Did I see the ethereal Darwin that day?  R3~ 

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 12:07:42 PM »
I own a Roland Sands "Tracker" right now. Love it, not without it's shortcomings (none of which are related to it being waxed cotton), but loved it... definitely wore it enough, in ALL weather conditions. But, I've lost weight, and the jacket itself is nearing the end of it's useable life... cuffs fraying badly, wear, tear, etc.

Got in contact with Merlin (super fast repsonse times, and very pleasant to deal with BTW), turns out that they don't have any dealers in Canada, so looks like Rvezilla might be the way to go. I hate buying clothing cross border though... the exchange process if something doesn't fit right is a PITA. I do really like the Spidi Worker Wax... but that's an awful lot of money.

Gonna give the Merlin Hamstall a try.

Offline zokn

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 01:21:21 PM »
For a different take on a wax jacket, have a look at the Leonard style in the Knox collection.

https://www.planet-knox.com

I have no personal experience, but the concepts - a wax-like fabric and a multi-layer protection system - are quite interesting.

I love my old Barbour Gold Medal jacket. It's threadbare in too many places now, but I can't part with it. I remember paying less than $100.00 for it in the '80s. I still have the pants, too.
Stephen

Nova Scotia, Canada

2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
1975 BMW R90/6 (sold)

Previously: several BSAs, Lambretta 150 with a Bambino sidecar, 1978 Honda 550, 1985 BMW K100RT, 1996 Ducati Multistrada

Offline Rainrider

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 02:34:49 PM »
Not exactly the same style, and it won’t win you any fashion shows you’d want to win, but Aerostich sells a waxed-cotton version of their Darien jacket called a Falstaff. It also won’t save you any money.

http://www.aerostich.com/falstaff-motorcycle-jacket.html

With that said, I’ve done about 50k in Darien jackets, from freezing up to over 100 degrees, and in all kinds of wet. I’m still wearing the one I crashed in three years ago. I spent eighteen hours in it this past Saturday. It’s good gear.

Offline Mr Pootle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 02:41:57 PM »
Well what do you know  :shocked:

They're about 50 miles from my home on the "nice" roads!!!
And about the same from mine. When I need a new jacket I’ll be heading there.

Online mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2018, 08:24:10 AM »
Check out "Motoport" gear better than stitch for less $ also it's made from your measurements ,no upchage for special mods  :thumb:

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2018, 10:21:26 AM »
Ncdan, mentioning the word 'duster' makes my blood run cold. Daytona, Speedway blvd. Harley riders, rather than being pirates were then mimicking colonial times herding cattle. 2 up, he decided to cross 6 lanes of traffic. The duster got caught in the driveline. At least one fractured skull + multiple serious injuries. Did I see the ethereal Darwin that day?  R3~
I was funning about the duster as when I hear oil skin for a motorcycle jacket that’s the first thing that comes to my mind. I guess oil skin is ok if it comes with armor, I just never thought about it before now.

Offline melisaford

• New Egg
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2022, 06:35:20 AM »
Jackets are my obsession! I got some cool custom made jackets online very comfortable, though it's a half-length jacket at very reasonable pricing

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2022, 07:01:31 AM »
Any of you have Cycle Gear stores in driving distance? JP and Revzilla are now part of Cycle Gear and with CG stores you can have anything shipped to the store where you can try it and if you don't like or it doesn't fit you don't take it, no shipping charges. I had 4 pairs of boots shipped in last year, to one of my closest stores, little over an hour away, and I only kept one pair.
Scott

PS - my son has a new Merlin jacket but not sure what model but it is really nice and good quality.
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 Bullet - Guinevere
Suzuki V Strom 650 - Rita
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Offline Beowulf

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2022, 07:42:52 AM »
I’m late to the party. But I in fact own a Merlin jacket in tan (it’s waxed)and have unfortunately put it to the test. I slid out on my Harley at 50 mph after making poor life choices (aka taking a curve way to fast on a bad tire) suffice to say I separated from the bike sliding a good distance thinking that was gonna be it. My back pack took a bit but I mostly slid i on my side and man I gotta say I was impressed. That jacket is the one reason I think I walked away with out any Road rash and honestly it’s beat but still wearable. My helmet was not but did it’s job well.

As far as waterproof it’s not bad it has its limitations but does the job really well. I ride 4 days a week to work as a motorcycle is my only transportation unless I bum the car from my wife. The jacket does well to about 45 degrees and than I want another layer. My two cents excellent jacket from Merlin and I would buy from them again without hesitation.

Obviously I’m making better choices now and my front tire not losing pressure helps.

Online mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2022, 07:47:13 AM »
Another option , i recently (2 Yrs. ago had a Vanson Compass jacket made . Waxed cotton with carbon fiber woven into certain areas . It fits my duck pin shaped body like a glove too!

Online Jack Straw

• Hatchling
  • Laugh More, Live Longer
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2022, 07:54:12 AM »
I've owned three Merlin wax cotton jackets.  They have all been quite good.  I wore a Yoxall for a year which was a good piece. I replaced it with the Kurkbury as I like the more traditional belted Trialmaster style.  Last spring I bought their Shenstone  mesh jacket for summer riding.

I have no complaints at all about the fit, features, and quality of Merlin.

Urban Rider in London carries most all the Merlin line at good prices.  Their website is very informative; https://www.urbanrider.co.uk

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2022, 09:19:14 AM »
I have never seen a Merlin jacket but it looks like a nice product. 

Even though these oil skin jackets are a pain in the ass, I have three of them. Two Aerostich jackets and a couple of years ago I purchase (MG content: On Sale) the Belstaff Trialmaster motorcycle jacket. Really like the Belstaff as it has a removable liner and a pocket for a back protector, but it includes elbow and shoulder pads. So far the jacket has been waterproof, the Stiches are old and need to be re-oiled(PIA) but I may send one out to a place that does what they claim is a pro job on re-waxing. 
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here