Author Topic: V50 for sale in SF Bay Area (SPAM)  (Read 1797 times)

canuguzzi

V50 for sale in SF Bay Area (SPAM)
« on: April 26, 2015, 02:31:41 PM »
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/4987826664.html

I don't know the person selling it, just thought someone here might be looking and here it is.

BTW, is it a money pit to keep running well or would it make a good around town squirter and how is the value being asked? Been saving some coffee money.

What should be looked at to keep from buying a major project?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 02:34:43 PM by Norge Pilot »

Offline Guido Valvole

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V50 for sale in SF Bay Area (SPAM)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 03:11:43 PM »
If it's a V50, not a V50 II, run away! Chrome bores… II is nigusil, Guzzi's nikasil. 78 might be a II, I'm not sure when the model change was off the top of my head.

Speaking of heads, 20k miles is around the time when things in there can get ugly. Perhaps materials were better in the II (I'm hoping so as I have one) but the exhaust valves in my Monza, and others I know of, started stretching around 22-24k miles and were replaced. Around $600 for that and helicoiling everything that needed that (most threads) from Edco in Petaluma. Better than new now. The other ugly thing around that mileage is the rear drive. Many threads on that -- the pinion bearings get little oil in stock form. There's a fix, DIY if you're Chuck, send it to Sean Fader if you're me. And say bye bye to another $700 or so in parts and labor as I found mine (again in the Monza) was bad when little silvery magnetic chunks came out in the oil. If you get to it before the bearing are toast you save a lot! My V50II has around 16k miles so far with no problems. So far…

V50 and V50II are geared pretty low and are lotsa fun on backroads. I'm not sure where you are, maybe Marin or Sonoma counties? Great habitat there. Freeway is another story. Topo Gigo will cruise happily at 100 all day long as long as that's 100 kph. Keeping under 6000 rpm for cruising means keeping under 65 with bursts to 75. Life in the slow lane in CA. Monza is geared higher and the III engine has more mousepower so it will happily peg its 80-mph speedometer.

There was a V50II for sale at the recent San Jose Euro/Japanese bike show. Looked like a possible parts bike until I looked at the seriously cracked rear drive housing… you pay me to take that, pal. Or, "is that the San Andreas Fault?"
cr

cr
V50 II
V50 Monza
Le Mans 1000 (IV)
Martinez, CA

canuguzzi

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 04:43:54 PM »
Sonoma. Since clearing out my stable and getting the Norge it has been okay until the rear end started the drip and goes into the shop.

Then I realize withdrawls are about to start if it takes more than a week to get the Norge back.

Crazy thoughts go through my mind as I walk past bikes with keys left in the ignition but sanity sends me to craigslist looking. I have my justifications all worked out. I'll get something smaller for the wife, something she'll never ride. ~;

Offline injundave

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 04:46:43 PM »
I have a 1980 V50II which had chrome bores. I replaced the barrels and have since had no problems. They are a really fun bike to ride especially on tight, twisty roads where, with their small Tonti frames, reasonable power and good brakes, they can outrun and out-corner lots of bigger, more modern bikes. Parts are available and reasonably cheap. This one on CL looks reasonably tidy although it may have been repainted and had a new seat cover. At $2200 I wouldn't want to go much higher, I paid a grand for mine 10 years ago.
1975 850 T3
1980 V50 (Now belongs to my daughter)
2019 V85TT

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 04:46:43 PM »

Offline Guido Valvole

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 06:49:06 PM »
My 79 has nigusil bores. Oh well, what's over there on the shelf, Luigi? Use that!

A friend got a much rattier-looking V50 III through a CL ad in SF. It was all there, good service records, his daughter wanted to learn how to ride… (he has an 850 Le Mans and a Monza, among many others). Looked like a good project, $1200 or so. Around 20k miles. Claimed to have run when parked, owner was having a baby so time for it to find a new home.

Since he was going to strip and rebuild anyway it was a good deal. Came with a Dyna S even. Looked at the valves -- even more stretched out than the ones in my Monza. Uncomfortably close to shrapnel time. Lined up next to my Monza heads, you could see the stretch…

So there are plenty of potentially-expensive surprises in old smallblocks, but once sorted they're lots of fun and simple to maintain. And get more attention than new Ducatis  ~;.
cr
V50 II
V50 Monza
Le Mans 1000 (IV)
Martinez, CA

canuguzzi

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 07:25:18 PM »
Might take a look now that I'm schooled a little on what to look for. I don't mind working on a bike so long as it's not the only one I have. Once it becomes a chore, it's gone.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here