Author Topic: Steering Head Torque  (Read 504 times)

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
Steering Head Torque
« on: August 01, 2021, 02:59:28 PM »
I have been in the state of mind that I may not be able to ride my Audace too much longer I am 76 and the bike is getting harder to manage at slow speeds. I have attributed that to the weight of the bike and the 32* headstock angle. I have also noticed that my riding in curves is a bit notchy. I had the bike on the lift to change the rear tire just before I went to Broken Arrow. I thought the steering seemed a bit tight but then was not the time to further investigate.

When I got back home I put the bike back up on the lift to check it out further. Still seemed pretty stiff. So I got out the service manual to check disassembly procedures. I got it apart and decided I would setup the steering the way Harley recommends, which is that the wheel should just fall away from being centered. So that is what I did. While in the process I saw that the manual says to tighten the lower ring nut to 37 ft/lbs. Holy Moly! No wonder the steering was a bit tight. Or at least that is what I think. Anyway I set it up the Harley way. What a difference, whole new bike. Steady at slow speeds, no more snaking when coming to a stop. High speed turns are now stable with no more mid-turn corrections. I will be able to ride this bike for several more years or I at least hope to be riding for a lot longer.

So in conclusion, is this figure correct? Mis-print, supposed to be this way or did Luigi have two Grappas at lunch. I didn't check torque on dis-assembly as I have no means of using a torque wrench with a spanner but it was pretty tight. I set it up for the fall away and again have no way to check torque on re-adustment. What do you guys think?
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Online moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Steering Head Torque
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 05:15:57 PM »
  Over the decades (yes decades ) that I wrenched on HD's , your method is very close , We set them a tad tighter , we had to give the
front wheel a light tap to get it to fall away . I know they're different bearing assemblies , but they're similar weights and steering
angles etc . so I'm sticking with that method . Maybe they do this to offset the fact that they find it so awful to put grease on  many other places :) . Peter

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 05:40:04 PM »
I was surprised to find plenty of grease there as we all know Luigi has an aversion to the stuff.   :evil:
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 05:47:30 PM »
The 1st time I read that in 14 I thought it was false, someone added a 7 or a 3 and no one proof read the book that knows anything.
I do as you do but nudge it to drop at 15* one way or the other. Just like a bicycle, not rocket science.
BMW's are set at a torque, mostly all bull in my eye's.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 05:47:30 PM »

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here