Author Topic: G5 dull red charge light  (Read 1659 times)

Offline JayDee24ca

• Gosling
Re: G5 dull red charge light
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2021, 05:33:00 PM »
EME's description of the original Bosch charging system versus their permanent magnet system is very clear.

"The original BOSCH alternator system used on Moto Guzzi’s from 1973-1995 was designed in the late 1960’s. The system is
based on energizing the rotor with electricity from the diode board,through the generator light and voltage regulator. Once the rotor is
electrically charged and spins inside the wire windings of the stator AC current is generated and sent to the Diode board, or “Rectifier”
to rectify or correct the AC current to DC current so it can be used to charge the battery. The Rectifier uses Diodes which are
like electrical gate keepers, to change the electricity from AC to DC.

The EnDuraLast EDL4MG Alternator Kit is a significant upgrade to the original charging system. The major components are manufactured
in Italy and the custom modifications done in the USA to the highest standards under ISO certifications.
It’s beauty is in its simplicity. No longer is the complex wiring from the diode board, generator light, voltage regulator and brushes
needed to energize the rotor because now the rotor is permanently magnetized. The brushless, permanent magnet rotor spins
inside the stator and AC current is generated in the stator wire windings. The stator is very robust. Failures are rare, caused by
excessive heat or physical impact damage.
The Regulator / Rectifier (R/R) then converts the AC current to DC current to charge the battery sending it via the RED wire. The
BLACK wire on the R/R is the voltage sensing wire. The voltage supplied here from your bikes battery tells the R/R what to do.
Once the battery no longer needs voltage it shunts the surplus to ground. It is a shunting style R/R. It is therefor extremely important
the R/R has a solid connection from it’s case to vehicle ground.
This alternator system can be envisioned as a stand alone system that will interact electrically with your bike at two points. It reads
the battery voltage via the BLACK wire, and depending on the information provided to it, will deliver available voltage via the RED
wire to the battery. All other electrical systems on your motorcycle including ignition are not impacted by this upgrade."
'74 Nuovo Falcone
'79 Convert
79 G5
the rest are all gone.....

Online moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2021, 06:22:57 PM »
One additional point , this shunting of excess voltage to ground is a real source of heat . I'm hoping they
suggest having the Regulator,Rectifier unit in an exposed to wind mounting area .   Peter
PM me if you can make use of my offer .

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2021, 04:43:43 AM »
Glad it got fixed.............. ........faulty wiring/plugs and the Reg had no reference.

Looking at the system diagram I wondered if the charge light was glowing because of the voltage imbalance on the system, but couldn't figure out what would really happen, looks like I have an answer.

Thanks for the general description from the EME website.

Perhaps things have changed but in the past at least they would not provide detailed schematics of what was inside their Reg/Recs.

There have also been other reasons, that make me a little suspicious about some of their equipment.

PERSONALLY I prefer to use equipment where the manufacturer is more transparent, that's all.

Be a boring world if we all made the same choices
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 10:30:26 AM by Old Jock »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Re: G5 dull red charge light - Resolved?
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2021, 06:53:37 AM »
 Thinking about the problem I was imagining individual crimp lugs that you could easily meter, I had forgotten the 3 way connectors.
Helping a friend with an ancient Kawasaki over the weekend I told him the connectors looked dirty, he produced the can of deoxit I had given him and said he gave it a shot of that, I was surprised how it makes the terminals look dirty.
I have never used Deoxit, I just rely on cleaning then protection against corrosion with Vaseline, I never work on bike electrical systems without a tube handy.
I'm glad you got it resolved John
-------------------
Vaseline, If it's good enough for a babie's bum it's good enough for your Guzzi
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 06:56:05 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Wildguzzi.com

Re: G5 dull red charge light - Resolved?
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2021, 06:53:37 AM »

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here