Author Topic: MG Cycle Screen  (Read 1434 times)

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
MG Cycle Screen
« on: October 06, 2022, 08:08:51 PM »
I bought the MG Cycle Large Tombstone style windscreen for my Convert. Want to put it on before I head out on some rides, anyone have guidance, advice, instructions? I'm pretty good at figuring things out, but a picture or two would be helpful.  I bought the full kit and parts they suggested.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
Re: MG Cycle Screen
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2022, 04:01:43 PM »
Took a bit of finagling, trial and error and more disassembly than I wanted, but I got the kit mounted today. No idea if it is right, but it is on ;-) Test ride in a bit.

The upper triple tree have a threaded bung on the front at the top of the fork. The provided brackets bolt to this, and in my case replaced the headlight winglets to mount the headlight. I hoped they would line up, but no dice. I just rotated them in behind the headlight. This meant rerouting the wiring harness which meant removing the fuel tank.... Of course it was full........

Once the brackets are mounted to the bike, and the upper black sider brackets are mounted to the screen, they are mounted to the lower bracket with the clamp style brackets. The mounting screws have rubber on both sides of the screen and the upper brackets have threaded holes to screw into. The lowers went in without issue, but the screws were too long for the upper, so I had to use black washers as spacers to snug everything up. The provided bolts were long enough to put a locknut on the bolt that mounts the setup to the triple tree, figured it was a good idea, especially as the headlight is suspended by the bracket too.

Here are some in progress pictures.

Final Product.  It is a nice piece, look forward to getting some miles in. Really sets off the classic and period correct look I was hoping for. The little speed shield looked fine when the bike was black, but didn't look right on the red.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 04:08:28 PM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2022, 04:47:14 PM »
Looks excelent, Bulldog9! I like the black crash bars, did you have those powder coated? I need to do something with mine, the chrome has seen better days.
Rick
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Gusable

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2022, 04:51:53 PM »
LOVE the bike! It’s “red hot”! Screen looks killer.  What bags are those.
1994 California 1100

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2022, 04:51:53 PM »

Offline yackee

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2022, 05:02:20 PM »
I have the same screen on my T3. It looks like you figured it out. The brackets bolts to the top of the shocks and to the headlight shell.

I've found the chrome is only "ok". Mine has some rust. I also managed to lose one of the bent washer-type things because I didn't tighten it enough. I am not sure if they are replaceable. A large washer is an imperfect solution.

The screen makes a huge difference in comfort on highway rides. At first I thought it was ugly (because so huge) but I've gotten used to it, and hugely appreciate the protection it provides. Now I just have to put the floorboards back on to officially be an old motorcycle rider.

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2022, 10:31:53 PM »
I have the same screen on my T3. It looks like you figured it out. The brackets bolts to the top of the shocks and to the headlight shell.

I've found the chrome is only "ok". Mine has some rust. I also managed to lose one of the bent washer-type things because I didn't tighten it enough. I am not sure if they are replaceable. A large washer is an imperfect solution.

The screen makes a huge difference in comfort on highway rides. At first I thought it was ugly (because so huge) but I've gotten used to it, and hugely appreciate the protection it provides. Now I just have to put the floorboards back on to officially be an old motorcycle rider.

Yeah, it took a bit to figure it all out. Wasn't expecting to mount the headlight to it. No highway or high speed yet, just some backroads today. The Floorboards are the bomb, move your feet back to the rear of the boards and you are in a more traditional standard.  Biggest thing for me is that I still feel like I am ON TOP of the bike, not IN. Feet forward feels weird to me. and the fact that my knees are above the tank makes me feel unstable.  Moving feet back, or even on the rear crash bars makes things better, but the Convert is a SOW DOWN and enjoy bike anyway.
MGNOC#23231

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2022, 08:14:03 AM »
Looks great, I think there is a law somewhere that says the fuel tank must be full when you plan to work on a guzzi, at least that has been my experience  :boozing:
2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2022, 08:47:47 AM »
LOVE the bike! It’s “red hot”! Screen looks killer.  What bags are those.

I'm happy with how it is turning out. Now I need to find some sort of driving light setup.

The bags came with the bike, they are DB (Dan Brown?) Super light and 'capacious' The locks are a bit wonky, and I had to fashion tethers for the covers as they occasionally come off. Had to retrace a 10 mile strip to find one once.... lol

MGNOC#23231

Offline testa_di_formaggio

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2022, 02:56:42 PM »
Don't want to burst any bubbles, but you might want to re visit that lower mounting. If I'm seeing that right, the weight of your head light, turn signals and the windshield itself, are essentially being held to the bike by ONE fastener on each side. I'd suspect that bracket is going to bend back with the windshield being forced back in the wind. You might end up with all those in pieces your lap. Not good. As Yackee notes, the brackets mount to the top of the forks, AND the head light shell. Some things to consider: Not the stock headlight. And, looks like FAC dampers installed. The original head light mounting ears are supposed mount the headlight. And then the lower brackets would sit over them, along side of them if you will. Then the turn signal stalks fit through the lower brackets and then thread into the headlight shell through the head light ears. Maybe you weren't able to do that because the non original headlight shell is wider than the original. Don't know if that was your issue, but that's the correct mounting point for the front of that lower bracket. Guzzi shows use of a shim between the bracket and the shell, but I don't recall ever seeing one on the bikes I've played with. Now that mount point at the triple is wrong, too. You'll need to remove the schrader valve from the FAC. Probably need to lower the fork stanchions in the triple tree a bit too. Originally, the bottom edge of the original fork top plugs, sat even with the top of the triple tree. Then the rear hole on that flat upper part for the bracket would align with the threaded hole in the FAC damper. The bracket is meant to sit flat on top top fork plug. And then a fastener runs through the bracket and threads into the hole in the FAC damper. Then, that forward hole will align with the hole in that threaded "bung", where you have the fasteners now. Now, you'll find a gap between that bracket and the "bung". Guzzi uses a small cylindrical spacer (91180911) to fill that gap. That's where you might need to lower the fork in the triple a bit, the bracket then sits tight to said spacer.

I'm sorry I don't have a picture, and I hope my explanation isn't too nebulous. Sorry for my it being so long winded. But absent a picture, if you don't have a Convert parts book, thisoldtractor will have one you can view/download. You'll find that helpful perhaps. It will reference those spacers and shims and such. As an additional note, it seems to me that pretty much all of the Converts I've seen, at least the earliest ones, came stock from the factory with those lower brackets already mounted. Never the windscreen with it's upper brackets, just those lowers. Maybe someone out there has an "unfaired" Convert with those brackets installed, and could get you a closeup pic.   

Offline glenm64

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2022, 04:59:34 PM »
I'm happy with how it is turning out. Now I need to find some sort of driving light setup.

I am looking for a suitable set of LED driving lights for my Vert that look the part. Here is Oz everything is $$$.
 Please post the lights you end up fitting. This is the look Im after.

Offline Gusable

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2022, 05:45:09 PM »
I’d love to put HB “twin lights” on my cali 1100 but too much money and I want Led as well.  That lamp shown without the eyebrow would be great
1994 California 1100

Offline glenm64

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2022, 06:21:40 PM »
I’d love to put HB “twin lights” on my cali 1100 but too much money and I want Led as well.  That lamp shown without the eyebrow would be great
I actually like the brow look, hence making my choice even harder. I dont really want to mount them on the crash bars either, so looking at making some brackets using the headlight/indicator stem.
Where are you mounting yours Bulldog?

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2022, 08:58:25 PM »
Don't want to burst any bubbles, but you might want to re visit that lower mounting. If I'm seeing that right, the weight of your head light, turn signals and the windshield itself, are essentially being held to the bike by ONE fastener on each side. I'd suspect that bracket is going to bend back with the windshield being forced back in the wind. You might end up with all those in pieces your lap. Not good. As Yackee notes, the brackets mount to the top of the forks, AND the head light shell. Some things to consider: Not the stock headlight. And, looks like FAC dampers installed. The original head light mounting ears are supposed mount the headlight. And then the lower brackets would sit over them, along side of them if you will. Then the turn signal stalks fit through the lower brackets and then thread into the headlight shell through the head light ears. Maybe you weren't able to do that because the non original headlight shell is wider than the original. Don't know if that was your issue, but that's the correct mounting point for the front of that lower bracket. Guzzi shows use of a shim between the bracket and the shell, but I don't recall ever seeing one on the bikes I've played with. Now that mount point at the triple is wrong, too. You'll need to remove the schrader valve from the FAC. Probably need to lower the fork stanchions in the triple tree a bit too. Originally, the bottom edge of the original fork top plugs, sat even with the top of the triple tree. Then the rear hole on that flat upper part for the bracket would align with the threaded hole in the FAC damper. The bracket is meant to sit flat on top top fork plug. And then a fastener runs through the bracket and threads into the hole in the FAC damper. Then, that forward hole will align with the hole in that threaded "bung", where you have the fasteners now. Now, you'll find a gap between that bracket and the "bung". Guzzi uses a small cylindrical spacer (91180911) to fill that gap. That's where you might need to lower the fork in the triple a bit, the bracket then sits tight to said spacer.

I'm sorry I don't have a picture, and I hope my explanation isn't too nebulous. Sorry for my it being so long winded. But absent a picture, if you don't have a Convert parts book, thisoldtractor will have one you can view/download. You'll find that helpful perhaps. It will reference those spacers and shims and such. As an additional note, it seems to me that pretty much all of the Converts I've seen, at least the earliest ones, came stock from the factory with those lower brackets already mounted. Never the windscreen with it's upper brackets, just those lowers. Maybe someone out there has an "unfaired" Convert with those brackets installed, and could get you a closeup pic.

What he said. ^^^

Some photos to illustrate.

Charlie

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2022, 10:51:18 PM »
Those same brackets on my convert mount up the way shown in the photos.  two bolts hold them on top, one of them in the center of the fork tube. There is a thick washer/ spacer  on each side between the bracket,and the headlight  holding "ears".
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2022, 11:10:10 PM »
What he said. ^^^

Some photos to illustrate.

Thanks Charlie (and all)

I imagine when I drop the forks and re-mount the brackets that they will line up with the headlight winglet/arms from the forks. Makes total sense. I wasn't worried about the bracket breaking, I was worried about the threaded bung on the front of the triple tree. Will report back when I have the opportunity to re-visit.
MGNOC#23231

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2022, 03:18:33 PM »
Decided after my successful Bourbon run today to tackle remounting the Windscreen bracket and ran into a problem.

Even though the front fork is raised in the triple trees about 3/4" when on the center stand the rear tire is still on the ground. This obviously prevents me from tipping the bike back on the CS to pull the forks down to level with the upper TT.  No issue with raising the front with a floor jack to get the front wheel off the ground and lower the forks, but my concern is that this will make the CS all but useless.  I guess I can put it up on a 2x8 when in the garage and just use side stand otherwise.

Makes me wonder if a PO swapped out the forks for longer units?  Not a biggie, but a surprise....... Really want to get out and ride, but it was 16degrees (Fahrenheit) this morning and only got up to 29-30. I dont want to ride that bad!
MGNOC#23231

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2022, 08:43:45 PM »
Decided after my successful Bourbon run today to tackle remounting the Windscreen bracket and ran into a problem.

Even though the front fork is raised in the triple trees about 3/4" when on the center stand the rear tire is still on the ground. This obviously prevents me from tipping the bike back on the CS to pull the forks down to level with the upper TT.  No issue with raising the front with a floor jack to get the front wheel off the ground and lower the forks, but my concern is that this will make the CS all but useless.  I guess I can put it up on a 2x8 when in the garage and just use side stand otherwise.

Makes me wonder if a PO swapped out the forks for longer units?  Not a biggie, but a surprise....... Really want to get out and ride, but it was 16degrees (Fahrenheit) this morning and only got up to 29-30. I dont want to ride that bad!

Could be that someone has installed FAC dampers meant for an 1000SP. They're approx. an inch longer.
Charlie

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2022, 11:52:09 AM »
Could be that someone has installed FAC dampers meant for an 1000SP. They're approx. an inch longer.

Makes sense, and why the tubes were raised. Once I get it all apart and line up the headight mounts I'll figure out the way ahead.
MGNOC#23231

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2022, 05:51:23 PM »
Got it done, had to open up the rear hole to slide over the FAC air valves. Very impressed how it all came together and line up perfectly.  It pays to buy from quality vendors. Most of the parts came from MGCycle or Harpers, and I'm VERY happy. About to go on another fun filled trip to amazing places courtesy of Uncle Sam, but hoping for nice weather when I get back.

The Shield is very stable now. Before re-mounting, the setup was solid, but had some flex and bend. Now it is 100% locked down. Dropping the tubes didn't lift the bike as much as I feared, is stable on the CS, though the back tire is now fully on the ground, no more spinning. Not sure how this will effect the handling. I may increase rear preload to reset the sag and bring the rear up a bit when seated.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 08:03:41 AM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2022, 09:17:42 PM »
Sometimes the stops for the center stand wear on the stops and the place the stops hit on the center stand. The stand will then loose height because it goes too far forward when it’s deployed. I’ve welded them up and it doesn’t take much. It’s a trial of welding and grinding but possible
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 08:11:47 PM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2022, 10:05:50 AM »

The bags came with the bike, they are DB (Dan Brown?)

Bulldog, What region of the country are you in? Many years ago I sold a Convert with DB bags, probably too much of a coincidence that YOURS is the same bike but it's nice to daydream. I have a similar pair that I got to install on my Cal II Auto, but the lack of mounts has been enough to stall me for the past 10 yrs....

Nice bike!
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2022, 06:41:35 PM »
Bulldog, What region of the country are you in? Many years ago I sold a Convert with DB bags, probably too much of a coincidence that YOURS is the same bike but it's nice to daydream. I have a similar pair that I got to install on my Cal II Auto, but the lack of mounts has been enough to stall me for the past 10 yrs....

Nice bike!

I bought the Convert from John Wells in PA 2-3 years ago, he had it 10-15 years. Was all black/gold pinstripe with a Windjammer bench seat and rear rack.
MGNOC#23231

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2022, 09:17:56 PM »
Looks excelent, Bulldog9! I like the black crash bars, did you have those powder coated? I need to do something with mine, the chrome has seen better days.
Rick

Rick:  Half of this forum's membership has seen "better days"!  Is powder coating painful?  Might work for me.

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here