Author Topic: Sunday Ride to Cass Scenic RR, WV.  (Read 463 times)

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Sunday Ride to Cass Scenic RR, WV.
« on: September 27, 2021, 11:03:50 AM »
I needed to ride, a getaway to help me forget all of the irritations of the past week, however temporary. How long has it been since I was last to Cass Scenic RR? Oct. '19 I think, maybe even before. There's just something about the place that draws me to it. May not have the time to go again this year. But wait, maybe I can go down and back all in the same day without killing myself. A little Google mapping says I should be able to.

Throw some snacks and other stuff in a bag, freeze some water in a bottle, put the liners into the jacket and pants, clean the helmet. Ready for an early "lift off". Awake at 6:45 even though the alarm was set for 7 - didn't go to bed until midnight. Quick breakfast, feed the cats, gear up, load up, head out at 8:10. MD34/WV480, WV51, backroads to Bunker Hill, Runnymeade/Apple Pie Ridge, 522 west, 688 to US50, WV259 to Wardensville, 48/55 to Moorefield, 28 south past Seneca Rocks and on to Cass.

Only stopped once (other than for photos) in Wardensville, WV for gas and a "comfort break". Arrived at Cass almost exactly four hours after I left home - 12:15. The train for Bald Knob had already left, the one from Whittaker Station would arrive sometime around 1 pm. Had lunch at the "Last Run Restaurant" (most expensive pork bbq sandwich I've ever had) and then walked around a bit. Sure enough, just after 1 pm the Whittaker train returned. Shot a few more photos, then loaded up and headed out once again.

I headed south on 28 again to 92, then 84 at Frost over to US220. North to Monterey, then east on US250 to McDowell, north on Doe Hill Rd. to Moyer Gap Rd. over the ridge into Sugar Creek (uh oh, on reserve!), gas up in Brandywine, then east on US33 to Whitmore Shop Rd., Singers Glen Rd., Turleytown Rd. to 259. North Mtn. Rd. to 42 as far as Columbia Furnace, then Back Rd., 55 to Lebanon Church, Middle Rd., Cedar Creek Grade to 37 to 11, backroads, home at 7:15 after a stop at the Food Lion in Shepherdstown. 415 miles total.
Perfect weather, very little traffic, the Convert ran great. When headed south I thought something was wrong with it - it seemed to be struggling. Then I realized I was running into a stiff headwind! Once I was headed east or north, it was like it gained 15 horsepower!  :grin:

Must have been some sort of a Porsche 911 event this weekend. Started seeing them in Wardensville, a couple along the way to Moorefield and then a bunch all in a pack at a gas station. Mostly "long hood" (pre-'74) models, but a few later ones too.

Photos and video: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmWRarpZ
Charlie

Offline Peter from Sch'dy

• Hatchling
Re: Sunday Ride to Cass Scenic RR, WV.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 02:58:43 PM »
We sometimes stay at the Marlinton Motor Inn and ride the area for several days. Not 4 star but cheap and clean. Love the Observatory tour. Lack of cell service in the area sometimes annoying. Great photos!
Best,
Peter

Online john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 05:06:43 PM »
Good pictures, Charlie.  Thanks. 

I love that little diner at Cass but I'm a sucker for diners.  Incidentally, don't ever get anything but pie at that diner south of Seneca Rocks-- food there is a crapshoot.  (and "crapshoot" may be an unintentionally apt descriptor.)
He lost the run of himself.

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 05:10:45 PM »
I know we stopped there a couple years ago on our way back from the WV rally.  Think it was 2019.

Cam
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 05:10:45 PM »

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 08:05:55 PM »
I know we stopped there a couple years ago on our way back from the WV rally.  Think it was 2019.

Cam

You and I stopped there on the way back the WV Rally in 2018. I was solo in 2019.

Charlie

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here