Author Topic: Greyhound Bus closed in Tyler.  (Read 4430 times)

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Greyhound Bus closed in Tyler.
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2020, 11:05:13 AM »
I prefer "Thank God and Greyhound" by Roy Clark!

oldbike54

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2020, 11:14:01 AM »
I love me some 8-71 Detroit,  here's a pic of my old ex hound,  Richard

Oh man , kinda wish you still owned that Richard , it would look good in Cedar Vale  :grin:

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2020, 11:51:00 AM »
I love me some 8-71 Detroit,  here's a pic of my old ex hound,  Richard

8 x 71 cu in two stroke diesel.  Screamin' Gimmie.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2020, 11:52:54 AM »
Re Greyhound vs Trailways...Greyhou nd won as they purchased Trailways.

Funny the comments about the buses and stations being dirty, Greyhound at one time owned Dial Soap!
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2020, 11:52:54 AM »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2020, 04:34:26 PM »
I believe you, John...

I only wish I did.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2020, 09:17:40 PM »
I rode the bus several times...Must have been a requirement to hire drivers that couldn't double clutch the gearboxes....I used Greyhound for shipping stuff like car fenders.
Brought back memories.  The drivers did grind a bunch of gears, didn't they?
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

britman

« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2020, 08:51:52 AM »
Rode the "Long Dog" many times when in the Army what seems like a lifetime ago.  Best ride ever was from DC home when I came back from Viet Nam.  Still remember it to this day very clearly........ 

Offline trippah

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2020, 09:52:50 AM »
When my grandfather in Deepest Maine died (I was in high school) his widow said his car should go to my cousin who was at school in in Charlottesville
VA.  As I was living outside Boston, it made sense (to everyone else) that I should bus up to Pittsfield, get car and drive to my cousin (she had a great fear of bridges so we knew the Tappenzee would be beyond her :laugh:)  So a friend and I did just that, and the old rambler made the journey without major incident.  As a Karmic reward, the bus ride home included our meeting two young high school girls from Pennsylvania who, after pairing off with us, wanted to practice their intro level make out skills to pass the time.  Who was I to argue.

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2020, 11:36:11 AM »
Hmmm. At my age I don't guarantee anything I print or say, but:
I've done some bus / truck driving - never a greyhound. Clean gear changes can be difficult or impossible. Think of the linkage from end to end. I cannot recall an 8-71 in a bus. 6-71's were the most popular, in my experience and heavy duty GM transmissions were synchronized in the '50's. I learned some busses w/ Detroit diesels carried yclept 'big injectors', producing more power but lower miles/gal. At the price of fuel back then + my need to hurry?
I love 2 strokes of any displacement for any purpose. My last truck (for fun only), was a restored, all aluminum G model Mack w/ tandem drive, triplex trans., repowered with an intercooled GM V8-92?diesel. It put down nearly a ton of torque. I never had a load on it! I still have 4 - 2 stroke motorcycles. Huge fun. Is it the sound? Or the stink? :)  R3~   

Offline Mr Pootle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2020, 12:27:35 PM »
Does Peter Pan still run out of Boston?

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2020, 08:18:36 PM »
Yes. Peter Pan still runs out of Boston. Still family owned. Still based in Springfield, MA. All late model MCI units. iirc: Peter runs as far South as DC, unless there's a charter.
There's a lot of competition to NYC and spots betwixt. The luxury buses seem to be the way to go. Not inexpensive, but with all the amenities. 
Less costly than train service; perhaps more reliable. Reliability & safety were a huge factor several years back, during a price war. The fed and state authorities stepped in to sort it out.
ALL public transportation in the northeast is bad. In the Boston area it's now the worst in the nation.
In the 50's 60's I would drive for a commuter co. when they were jammed, or I needed to be home every night. Central NJ to NYC. Only a few stops starting out and I'd be full. Very nice people, too. In the off hours w/only 2 -5 on board I could learn some neat stuff. One fellow rode in early, from start to finish. He did the back stroke with me at 2pm. Sometimes the only paying rider. Turned out he 'tuned' the mighty Wurlitzer organ @ Radio City Music Hall, 3 days a week. I also contracted to lease companies managing band/orchestra touring buses.  R3~

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2020, 09:00:17 PM »
Went out to Wiki to get some info on these engines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Diesel_Series_71

Bob
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2020, 10:22:43 PM »
OH Rider:
Perhaps in your search you came upon the 2 other displacements, besides the 71 series. There were the 53ci and the 110ci/cylinder. So called 6-110's were used in big earth moving equipment, large boats and generators. IIRC they were red lined at 1600 r/m. The 53 series were used on generators, pumps, smallish trucks & ferries.
A wonderful design easily scaled to most any application. All those engines were sleeved. Replacing a sleeve, piston and rod assy. were quite easy and inexpensive by comparison to 4 stroke engines.
Clean air requirements killed 2 stroke diesels.  R3~

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here